Deleted Account Guest

Default BOOM! ASHI Dumps Swandby

Q: What do you do when your licensing lobbyist realizes that your licensing position is an abject failure and is counterproductive to your overall health and wellbeing?

A:

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: BOOM! ASHI Dumps Swandby

Nice try Joe, but this is not the reason.

Swandby suffered the budget axe. At over $100,000 a year, a less expensive method and service was found.

Many chapters have contracted with Swandby for state specific information and services. The TN chapters of ASHI have joined and contracted Swandby and it is costing each chapter about $35 a month for legislative information.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Nice try Joe, but this is not the reason.

You, can fool some of the people some of the time but it appears that it is a bit too convenient to decide to bag your legislative spokesperson only after they lost their religion.

I was present at the ASHI leadership meeting when Janet expressed her moment of doubt & faith, heard it with my own ears. She no longer believes that licensing is benefiting our profession and is convinced that as an association ASHI will suffer most when a state adopts licensing. Pandora's box is flung open wide and all the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put a positive spin on HI licensing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burkeson View Post
    You, can fool some of the people some of the time but it appears that it is a bit too convenient to decide to bag your legislative spokesperson only after they lost their religion.

I was present at the ASHI leadership meeting when Janet expressed her moment of doubt & faith, heard it with my own ears. She no longer believes that licensing is benefiting our profession and is convinced that as an association ASHI will suffer most when a state adopts licensing. Pandora's box is flung open wide and all the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put a positive spin on HI licensing again.
    I sat in that same meeting as did a few hundred other ASHI folks. Must be why ASHI national gave her permission and contact information so her company could contact the chapters.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Scott,
    What's wrong with you? Don't you realize that some people go to meetings under the influence and can't remember anything said, or they just make stuff up anyway?

I thought the sound of the crickets was so nice while it lasted.

JF

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

Will the last one out please turn off the lights.

Thank you.

Joe,

Are you still a member of NACHI?

I know you are a member of ASHI.

Curious.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Joe,

Curious.
    NACHI Only.

Never ASHI (Past, Present and/or Future)

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Scott,
    What's wrong with you? Don't you realize that some people go to meetings under the influence.
    I don't drink or smoke ask anyone, but it is quite obvious that you have drunk deeply from the ASHI kool-aid bowl, your disappointment will be great, better stick with jesus, or at least not confuse the two.

Joe,

Curious.
    Sorry Joe H., I should have specified ...

I meant that question for Joe B. (which I am sure you knew, which was the reason for the smiley face )

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

Deleted Account Guest

Sorry Joe H., I should have specified ...

I meant that question for Joe B. (which I am sure you knew, which was the reason for the smiley face )
    I am a lifetime member of NACHI why do you ask? The only membership that I had to drop was FABI, their by-laws stipulate that members must be in favor of government intervention & regulation and that violates my core beliefs.

P.S I must have done something right to be awarded a double happy-face from Hagarty.

Joe B.,

I ask because I have another question.

In your opinion, and all others who wish to respond too, is NACHI and its message board a "prime time show" and inspectionnews.com a "high school play" by comparison?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The only membership that I had to drop was FABI,
    Joe B.,

I would like to say that you will be missed at FABI ...

... but I can't say that with a straight face.

Sorry, could not resist ... you just set yourself up for that one so perfectly that I had to take it.

My bad. My bad. I'll go back to my corner now.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I don't drink or smoke ask anyone

I see you didn't include needles or snorting.

Deleted Account Guest

I don't drink or smoke ask anyone

I see you didn't include needles or snorting.

Jack, you must by now know what I think of you and your senseless comments, but what really irks me is the fact that you are attempting to make ASHI's dumping of its legislative mouthpiece Janet Swandby into a personal vendetta.

Although I am a prominent member of ASHI and many members come to me for my opinion, for the record I had no part in firing Janet Swandby and if consulted would have been against it.

Is it possible for you to stay on topic and refrain from your devious hateful attacks so that the discussion can continue?

I know that the failure of home inspector licensing to eliminate your competition weighs heavily on you, but face it, using home inspector licensing legislation as the key piece of your marketing plan was doomed from the onset and you have no one to blame but yourself.

Hopefully now that Janet Swandby is no longer under the thumb of ASHI management she will be able to speak freely about the country wide failure of home inspector licensing and how in particular it has failed to live up to the promises of its supporters, no doubt that FABI will feel the effects of such misplaced support in the near future.

Who knows maybe NACHI could use a good legislative lobbyist, (especially one who tells the truth) the $100K is pin money to Nick Gromicko.

Last edited by Deleted Account; 06-10-2007 at 09:27 AM.

Harvey Hempelstern Guest

Once more, Mr. Burkeson tries to share truth and is personally attacked for his views.

There must be a whole lot of frustration coming from the pro-liciensing camps with so much going on to repeal existing laws while successfully thwarting attempts to add states to those suffering from them.

Keep up the good fight, Joe.

Rob Thomas Guest

Does anyone besides me find it ironic that Bushart, childishly using his IN alias "Hempelstern", is complaining about 'personal attacks' on Burkeson?

I mean, it wasn't that long ago that Burkeson was unceremoniously dumped from a toothless "advisory" committee at his internet inspectors club:

7/21/05 - Please note that as of Thursday, 7/21/2005. After reviewing the incident pertaining to Mr. Joseph Burkeson copying and pasting information from the MAB private forum into the members only section of the Bulletin Board, the MAB decided to vote on the removal of Mr. Burkeson for breaching the committee trust. It was the willingness and act itself, and not the content of the matter that brought about the decision to vote on the issue. A vote of five (5) in favor of "Yes", and three (3) in favor of "No", resulted in the removal of Mr. Burkeson from the committee. The decision has been forwarded to NACHI leadership and notice to Mr. Burkeson has been issued.

And Bushart offered:

July 24, 2005

Poor Burkeson didn't know that Bowman and Wiley had him pegged since last Spring. I always suspected it was Dave Bush. Oh, well. Burkeson is such a loser, anyway. I used to like him.

JAMES H. BUSHART
    Home Inspector, Home Inspection Services of Missouri

Apparently, They have resolved their differences, and Bushart no longer thinks Burkeson is a loser.

Or does he ...?

RT

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hempelstern View Post
    Once more, Mr. Burkeson tries to share truth and is personally attacked for his views.

There must be a whole lot of frustration coming from the pro-liciensing camps with so much going on to repeal existing laws while successfully thwarting attempts to add states to those suffering from them.

Keep up the good fight, Joe.

Rob Thomas Guest

Did they change the definition of the word "prominent" and forget to notify me?

Here's a news flash: Accepting a position in a local chapter that no one else wanted does not make one a "prominent member of ASHI".

I was under the impression that Burkeson was held in the same low regard at ASHI that he enjoys here and at his internet inspectors club.

I could be wrong, but ...you know ... I'm not.

RT

Although I am a prominent member of ASHI and many members come to me for my opinion, for the record I had no part in firing Janet Swandby and if consulted would have been against it.

James Duffin Guest

Do these people have know each other from another time and place?

I am not a member of any org and I luv my HI license!

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thomas View Post
    Did they change the definition of the word "prominent" and forget to notify me?

Here's a news flash: Accepting a position in a local chapter that no one else wanted does not make one a "prominent member of ASHI".

I was under the impression that Burkeson was held in the same low regard at ASHI that he enjoys here and at his internet inspectors club.

I could be wrong, but ...you know ... I'm not.

RT

Internet Inspector's club, I beg to differ, I am a full certified A$HI member and there is nothing, read my friggin' lips sucker, nothing you can do about it, so KMA pal!

This licensing thing must really have you down, could it be that you are beginning to believe that Bushart & company might have a shot at getting the NC licensing law repealed?

Too bad about your paid mouthpiece Swandby, bet you pro-licensing creeps just fell about the place when she flipped, huh? No doubt you low-life's wanted to keep her demise hush-hush, quite pleased I could piss in your Wheaties, once again.

Oh and never mind that thing about your wife, I won't post those pictures sent anonymously to me, well not today away.

Rob Thomas Guest

Internet Inspector's club, I beg to differ, I am a full certified A$HI member and there is nothing, read my friggin' lips sucker, nothing you can do about it, so KMA pal!

In that case, Swandby was YOUR paid mouthpiece, yes? I wonder why you weren't consulted when ASHI was deciding about its contract with her. Maybe you're not as prominent as you think.

This licensing thing must really have you down, could it be that you are beginning to believe that Bushart & company might have a shot at getting the NC licensing law repealed?

There are a zillion home inspectors who have less experience than I ... such as yourself ... and that will always be the case. Licensing, or the lack thereof, means nothing to me. It means a lot to novice inspectors, like you and Bushart, but it's of no concern to established inspectors.

Too bad about your paid mouthpiece Swandby, bet you pro-licensing creeps just fell about the place when she flipped, huh? No doubt you low-life's wanted to keep her demise hush-hush, quite pleased I could piss in your Wheaties, once again.

Your mouthpiece, remember?

Oh and never mind that thing about your wife, I won't post those pictures sent anonymously to me, well not today away.

Yawn.

RT

"...but face it, using home inspector licensing legislation as the key piece of your marketing plan..."

Joe, I don't recall ever sharing with you my marketing plan - nor will I ever. But truth be known, licensing has NEVER been a part of it. You also keep missing about how for a decade I was part of fighting licensing in TN.

You also missed that part about how the chapters in TN have agreed to keep paying her for her services.

As far as the record goes, you couldn't have had a say with anything to do with Janet, since you have never held a national office or position with ASHI. IN fact, have you ever held an office at the national level?

I disagreed with you when you were spewing the anti ASHI and pro NACHI stuff, and spreading lies and mis-statements. If I remember right, it was based on you not being able to be a member of ASHI because you couldn't meet all of the membership requirements (or felt they didn't apply to you). You're still spewing the same crap, the only difference is that somehow you managed to gain membership with ASHI.

What puzzles me is that if you hate ASHI so much, why bother to be a member?

"prominent?" Maybe in some definitions of the word, but not in a favorable way. More like, "Oh yeah, I've heard of that wack job"!

Prominent? Name the last three things you did FOR ASHI at the national level? .................................................. ............ Didn't think so.

Deleted Account Guest

"...but face it, using home inspector licensing legislation as the key piece of your marketing plan..."

Joe, I don't recall ever sharing with you my marketing plan - nor will I ever. But truth be known, licensing has NEVER been a part of it. You also keep missing about how for a decade I was part of fighting licensing in TN.

You also missed that part about how the chapters in TN have agreed to keep paying her for her services.

As far as the record goes, you couldn't have had a say with anything to do with Janet, since you have never held a national office or position with ASHI. IN fact, have you ever held an office at the national level?

I disagreed with you when you were spewing the anti ASHI and pro NACHI stuff, and spreading lies and mis-statements. If I remember right, it was based on you not being able to be a member of ASHI because you couldn't meet all of the membership requirements (or felt they didn't apply to you). You're still spewing the same crap, the only difference is that somehow you managed to gain membership with ASHI.

What puzzles me is that if you hate ASHI so much, why bother to be a member?

"prominent?" Maybe in some definitions of the word, but not in a favorable way. More like, "Oh yeah, I've heard of that wack job"!

Prominent? Name the last three things you did FOR ASHI at the national level? .................................................. ............ Didn't think so.

I love playing you pro-licensing creeps, you guys are so easy to bait, I am a member of ASHI just to piss you off, is it working, does that answer your question? Now you know my little secret, can we get back on topic?

Last edited by Deleted Account; 06-10-2007 at 08:39 PM.

Deleted Account Guest

Default Re: BOOM! ASHI Dumps Standby

There are a zillion home inspectors who have more experience than I ...

Something we can agree on, your lack of experience, but I'm sure you fry a mean burger, yes, as a matter of fact I do want fries with that.

My qualifications far exceed yours and 90% of any other inspector in this country, but who is bragging, I do enough arbitration work to know that as a home inspector being a generalist is sometimes best. Once you bill yourself as an expert you open yourself up to possible lawsuits, that is the reason I don't list all of my credentials on my website, besides I wouldn't want you bottom feeders who have only passed the NHIE to be jealous.

But, you know, you & Jack-in-the-Box are getting quite droll, if you can't stay on topic I'll just have to start another licensing thread. I want to talk about Swandby and how home inspector licensing has the potential to destroy ASHI. All you want to do is prove to everyone you are a supreme jerk, I think we get it already.

Rob Thomas Guest

Something we can agree on, your lack of experience, but I'm sure you fry a mean burger, yes, as a matter of fact I do want fries with that.

I grill.

My qualifications far exceed yours and 90% of any other inspector in this country, but who is bragging, I do enough arbitration work to know that as a home inspector being a generalist is sometimes best. Once you bill yourself as an expert you open yourself up to possible lawsuits, that is the reason I don't list all of my credentials on my website, besides I wouldn't want you bottom feeders who have only passed the NHIE to be jealous.

I doubt your qualifications exceed mine or anyone else's reading this message board, but since qualifications can't be quantified, I won't argue the point. However, given the fact you only qualified for ASHI membership a couple of years ago, and the fact you spend an inordinate amount of time trying to impress people on several message boards, I am certain you have inspected many thousands fewer homes than I.

Since I earn part of my meager living as an expert witness, I can tell you that paid experts don't stop at the website when we are researching the background of defendants in cases we are hired to help prepare. Omitting information from your website about your vast qualifications won't really help you if you ever inspect another house, AND a problem arises from that inspection.

But, you know, you & Jack-in-the-Box are getting quite droll, if you can't stay on topic I'll just have to start another licensing thread. I want to talk about Swandby and how home inspector licensing has the potential to destroy ASHI. All you want to do is prove to everyone you are a supreme jerk, I think we get it already.

I'm right on topic. The topic is: Why would anyone care what Burkeson and Bushart think about licensing? For instance, I just received the following e-mail:

Dear Rob Thomas,You have received a new private message at InspectionNews from Joseph Burkeson, entitled "**** you".

Now, why would anyone give any consideration to the opinions of someone with your lack of self-control and dearth of debating skill? Your association with Bushart, who is so dishonest that he posts here under the assumed name 'Hempelstern', tells all that one need know about your character. The discussion of any topic must begin with the integrity of the participants. You appear to have none. Everyone here trusts what I write because it's always true, and I never need to stoop to the use of personal insults to gain an advantage.

By the way, licensing will not harm ASHI. The only thing that will harm ASHI is keeping the bar so low that people with your minimal level of experience will continue to qualify for membership. The key to ASHI's future success is raising the 'experience' bar to at least 1000 inspections. That way, the public will know that hiring an ASHI member is the one sure way to secure the services of an experienced inspector. It will also allow ASHI to return you to the status of 'associate', which is where a guy with your limited experience belongs. Now, there is nothing wrong with having limited experience, but a buyer deserves to know what he is getting when he hires an inspector.

RT

Rob Thomas Guest

James,

I drop by here every few years to inform the newer participants about the backgrounds of a few of the more vitriolic participants. Once you have that information, you can give their messages as little consideration as they are due.

RT

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Do these people have know each other from another time and place?

I am not a member of any org and I luv my HI license!

Deleted Account Guest

I'm right on topic. The topic is: Why would anyone care what Burkeson and Bushart think about licensing?

You pro-licensing creeps might, since it is one thousand times easier to kill a bill than to get one passed, but this thread and others like it just goes to show that there is no agreement within the profession in regards to licensing, the one thing you clowns attempt to prove to the legislators when you form your lame coalition groups is that there is consensus. Bull!

Mark my words, all new bills will come with pain attached for their supports, there will no longer be any slippery grandfather clauses so that incompetent unskilled inspectors like you can slither under the bar and get a free ride because you have one year of experience twenty times. No those days are shortly coming to an end and everyone will have to meet whatever standard is set, no grandfather clauses to hide behind. If & when Florida falls even Peck will have to take the course & pass the test, no free rides.

Here is a little wager for you... I'll bet I have more certified credentials then you have teeth!

Rob Thomas Guest

You pro-licensing creeps might, since it is one thousand times easier to kill a bill than to get one passed, but this thread and others like it just goes to show that there is no agreement within the profession in regards to licensing, the one thing you clowns attempt to prove to the legislators when you form your lame coalition groups is that there is consensus. Bull!

That should be: ... but this thread and others like it just go to show ...

Also, it seems you don't know the difference between 'consensus' and 'unanimity'. I wonder if one of those credentials you boast of having is a high school diploma.

Mark my words, all new bills will come with pain attached for their supports, there will no longer be any slippery grandfather clauses so that incompetent unskilled inspectors like you can slither under the bar and get a free ride because you have one year of experience twenty times. No those days are shortly coming to an end and everyone will have to meet whatever standard is set, no grandfather clauses to hide behind. If & when Florida falls even Peck will have to take the course & pass the test, no free rides.

Do you really think by now that you can irritate me by calling me 'incompetent' and 'unskilled'? You know better, and everyone reading this knows better. They can all tell I am more educated than you; more rational than you; more eloquent than you; and since they have seen not one post from you in a technical thread they have evidence that I am more knowledgeable than you, or at the very least more willing to offer assistance than you. I'm sure there isn't one competent person reading this who, given the choice, would choose to hire you instead of me ... at any price and under any circumstances. Thousands and thousands of satisfied customers can't be wrong.

I find it humorous that you pretend to be confident of the ease with which you and your internet brethern can kill a licensing bill, and then you retreat to the position that you will have your way "when and if" Florida passes a licensing bill. Since Florida is just about to join the other states that regulate home inspectors, you have three more years of whining about the inequity of grandfathering inspectors who have vastly more experience than you, and I have three more years of laughing at your feeble attempts to reach a place I have been for the last 10 years.

Here is a little wager for you... I'll bet I have more certified credentials then you have teeth!

That's a sucker bet. Anyone can get a box full of credentials from your little internet club. Arnold Ziffel passed your easy internet test and is fully qualified to be an elite master inspector, and he doesn't even have fingers to mash the little keys on the keyboard. I'll bet he even had a higher score on the test than you, and in less time.

Oh, you're not going to use that ITA certification as proof of competence, are you? The last guy I saw lose a lawsuit and quit the business was an inexperienced ITA-Certified inspector (I have the depositions in my files to prove this assertion).

Oh, you're not going to use those IRC certifications as proof of competence, are you? The muni inspectors who allowed the backwards insulation; and the finished grade above the mudsills and onto wood-framed walls; and oversized breakers on heat pumps; and the rafters with plumb cuts that extend well below the ridge boards; and b-vents that terminate in an attic; and girders that cantilever over incorrectly-placed support piers that I found in the last few months were all code-certified.

Here's a wager that offers you a little more risk. I'll bet I have done more inspections for repeat customers for than you have done for all customers. That's right, more people have called me twice (and more) than have called you once. (Before you take the bet, you should know that my Monday morning inspection is my 4th for this family. The young lady who called me Saturday wanted to book her 3rd inspection. I could go on, but you might not take the bet).

RT

Harvey Hempelstern Guest

Hang in there, Joe.

You can tell they are losing by the shrillness of their posts.

There are no real pro-licensing facts to present....thus, the need for personal attacks against the messenger of how licensing has and continues to fail.

Since this site is so heavily moderated, it is probably their strategy to have your intelligent observations deleted by adding to it their rules-breaking babble. The lack of facts to present in argument lead them to the next best thing....censorship.

At any rate, your truth is undeniable...even to those in denial.

Licensing solves nothing.

Mr Harv Hempleroid,
    You and Jumping Joe have ignored the two positives of licensing in my state, (having to pass the NHIE and E&O).

Both of you also miss the big difference of being "pro licensing" and being in a state that is licensed and holding a license.

But then, dealing with ethically challanged people such as yourself and your scab picking buddy (his words not mine), I really don't expect any different behavior.

I think I will have the last laugh when Florida becomes a licensed state.
    JF

Deleted Account Guest

You and Jumping Joe have ignored the two positives of licensing in my state, (having to pass the NHIE and E&O).

You sell your birthright for a bowl of snot, and then turn your business over to some pissant insurance company who cares squat about our profession and somehow that act of sniveling, groveling submission is a cause for celebration and I should be impressed?

You are a broken confused creature who should be pitied but that does not absolve your hypocrisy and the fact that you found it important to pick a fight with me over licensing after claiming to have diligently fought against licensing yourself.

I suggest you seek therapy, and maybe a new career, one where it isn't necessary for you to con your clients to make an honest living, otherwise piss off.

Angry Re: BOOM! ASHI Dumps Swandby

I don’t know who Joseph Burkeson is or why he seems to be always so angry at folks who don’t agree with him? His posts have little or no educational value and are endlessly boring as is his never ending ego pumping rhetoric. I’m sure many wish he would either change his meds or simply just go away. Brian, how about launching this entire thread?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Joe,
    Whatever... You and your droll buddy are boring. You guys get sooo cranky when someone argues with you (and makes a valid point you can't respond intelligently to). Are you two not getting enough spoon time? I feel sorry for you guys, in so many ways.

JF

ESAD

Deleted Account Guest

Joe,
    Whatever...

The last quote of a loser who no longer has a credible position in the debate. The sad sorry part is how you so easily bought into the lie of licensing and just how crushing a problem it will be for you in the future.

Janet Swandby realized just how detrimental licensing would become to associations like ASHI and when she spoke out what did it get her, fired. Some here now would like to further suppress truth by having this thread deleted, typical for your clan, suppress the truth and exchange it for a lie. It matters little to me, but guys like you who perpetrated the myth and continued the lie have bloody hands and will one day pay a great price for your failure. The whole world is watching.

Michael Greenwalt Guest

I want my 10 minutes of life back, Can't believe I read through this thread.
    Whew!

Janet Swandby realized just how detrimental licensing would become to associations like ASHI and when she spoke out what did it get her, fired.
    Yes, her firms contract was not renewed. But it was due to the excessive cost and a less costly service was contracted with to provide the same information.

Now what proof do you have that the firm was fired as you say because ASHI did not agree with he comments!

Actually Joe; her opinions were known about six months in advance or prior to the October meeting, but you would not know this as you are not involved in ASHI outside of Florida.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Joe,
    For someone who is so against License why would you join any associations. They have structure, Ce, and requirements just like Licenser boards.
    I don't get it. You say we use Lic. for advertisement , (which I don't) but I'm sure you use ASHI and NAC whatever to advertise. You pay dues and have to follow there agenda, don't ya!

I find the License board is no different then any good organized group.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com