Default Conflicting Suretest results

120V circuit to detached garage in conduit from load side panel in house.

My 61-165 indicated an open ground (and a correct ground everywhere else I tested inside the house), when further investigation by others indicated a correct ground I went back and retested with my 61-058, which indicated a correct ground.

Defective 165, or ????

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Michael Thomas; 09-24-2009 at 06:59 AM.
    Member Benefits1
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Conflicting Suretest results

Flakey ground wire connection somewhere in supply. Tool problem. Bad receptacle ground contact.

I've seen many (mainly older) receptacles that have a bad ground contact on the front side. The top or bottom may be bad and the other works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kriegh View Post
    I've seen many (mainly older) receptacles that have a bad ground contact on the front side. The top or bottom may be bad and the other works just fine.
    In this case, the result did not follow the receptacle tested.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Ron Bibler Guest

You can pull an outlet at your home and play with the wires to see if unit
    showing what you have set up...

Best

Ron

Default Re: Conflicting SureTest results

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kriegh View Post
    Flakey ground wire connection somewhere in supply. Tool problem. Bad receptacle ground contact.

Also, the 3-light SureTest tester, while being a better grade of 3-light tester, is not the same as the circuit analyzer capacity built into the SureTest 61-165, which is likely picking up on abnormally high resistance in the ground circuit, showing that as a "open ground", whereas the 3-light SureTest is not testing the resistance of the ground, but probably just voltages between the prongs on its plug, and if there is voltage hot-to-ground the 3-light tester is saying "looks okie dokie to me".

The SureTest 61-165 is saying, 'Sure there is voltage hot-to-ground, but the resistance of the ground is way too high for what it should be, so it is "no tickee no laundree". '

At least that is my GUESS. I think Bill is right, there is a problem in the ground/receptacle ground.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com