Thread: DWV

Default DWV

This was not attached to an HE furnace. It was above a bathroom which eads me to believe it was a DWV that was not extended through the roof. I just can't figure out why they would go through the trouble to glue the elbow on it which makes me wonder if it was something other than a DWV. Like I said, I know it was not for an HE furnace. Any ideas?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Default Re: DWV

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bombardiere View Post
    It was above a bathroom which eads me to believe it was a DWV that was not extended through the roof.

I just can't figure out why they would go through the trouble to glue the elbow on it which makes me wonder if it was something other than a DWV.

Any ideas?
    I think you are correct, and the reason for the trap fitting may have been to keep insulation from being blown down into the pipe?

Maybe (giving whoever installed that the greatest benefit possible) they intended to go back and install an AAV? In which case why not just glue on a test cap instead?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

This is really scary IF this is what it is.

This is the type of configuration you see for gas lines installed in a foundation. It could be a vent for the chase. Under the area where the vent is installed, is there a gas appliance....in an island or something like that??

Like I say really scary if it is! But we have all seen stupider stuff. Is that a word? Stupider??

It's probably what it looks like, but is it in the same area as the bathroom exhaust fan?

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

My vote it's a chase to the crawl space.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

It is a slab foundation and yes it is above a bathroom. I wrote it up as the DWV as it is almost certainly what it is since I did not see another vent above that bathroom. I was just puzzled by the elbow and making sure that it was not possibly something I wasn't thinking of.

If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

did you go over and give a sniff as the broker flushed the toilet. That would answer the question for sure. Of course that would require the broker to be aware of proper flushing procedures