Default Valve handle position

Almost always I see quarter-turn handle-type valves with the handle installed such that the valve is in the OFF position when the handle is at right angles to the inlet.

Is this just common practice, or a code requirement?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Michael Thomas; 09-24-2009 at 08:22 AM.
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Valve handle position

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Almost always I see quarter-turn handle-type valves with the handle installed such that the valve is in the OFF position when the handle is at right angles to the inlet and outlet.

Is this just common practice, or a code requirement?
    I would say common practice, all quarter turn valves I have seen when the valve is open the handle or key is parallel with the pipe. The reason for this is you can at a glance can tell if the valve is open or closed. The way your picture shows the valve it would be consdered off.

Just like in fire prevention systems they want the gate valves to be OS&Y valves so the can just look at the valve and see the stem is either up (open) or down (closed) positions. Also since the stem raises and lowers the fire alarm company can easily monitor the position with a tattler alarm that rests in a groove of the stem, when it is in the open position.

The only ones I know of that are different are the gas lines that are two inches and bigger. But that may be a local thing!

Michael,

Are you SURE that valve is "ON"?

Looks to me that pipe is cut off just below the valve and is dead ended for some reason, like that may be a drain valve, which would make that valve "OFF".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com