John Brown Guest

Default Texas lawsuit by seller

Of possible interest, out of Houston Texas. Seller is suing inspector for killing the deal on a little 3-2 ranch. Looking for punitive damages: .75 mil $.

Clerk of Harris County there generously allows for free viewing of relevant documents.

If you've got some time and are curious, go here first:

Office of Harris County District Clerk - Loren Jackson | Search Our Records

In the Search field for case number, submit 200940162

Then click on Documents.

Case is Maze v. FIG.

You can view documents for free but have pay for copies.

Note: poster is referencing readily available public information only and has no personal knowledge or opinion of the case.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Texas lawsuit by seller

Thanks John, quite an interesting read. I noticed many comments that the inspector is not a licenced engineer. Most of the comments which this comment applied to seem to be nonsense. They even applied that statement where the inspector indicated caulking was required. I didn't know you had to be an engineer in order to make recommendations which would be considered maintenance, or common sense.

With crap like this there's no right/wrong, black/white, up/down or any other logic. The only ones who win are the attorneys. Motions, filings, pleadings, bs, bs, bs.

Unfortunately, the best thing you can do when you're in the middle of something like this is to buy your way out.

Maybe we should make a list of all the dead lawyer jokes we've heard and send them to the defendant to give him a laugh. Stuff like this just sucks...

Mabey we should all set up a counter suit program to sue all the homeowners who do not disclose information truthfully to us at inspections through their disclosures.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

FYI -

Seller is an attorney Duane Morris LLP - Gary R. Maze, P.C., Partner - Profile

It also appears that his wife has filed a lawsuit against her employer in Houston ... assuming that the names synch up with the right person.

Maybe that is what both of them do for income ... file lawsuits. According to Harris County tax roles they own two if not more houses.

Ought to be interesting.

After reading the HI report, the home looks like the typical attorneys home I've seen in the past.

I'm sure the comments on the drainage section of the report are placed on other HI reports nationwide on a daily basis. We're all doomed.

I also like how attorneys always places that phrase of "Prayer" in their documents. They "pray" the Defendant does this and that.

When did scumbags learn to have prayer?

rick

Rick,

I think that was a typo in the original document. I belive the actual word is "Prey".
    I think this poor dude should have the support of every licensed inspector in the state + TREC attorneys (as much as A.D. thinks they are a bunch of morons). I hope these guys are countersued with a frivolous suit with treble damages.
    All that said, I hope he did a good job on the report.

Maybe lawyers should be home inspectors.

Don't ya just hate know-it-alls? Its easy to second guess, it all boils down really to which lawyer does a better job selling the facts to the trier of fact.

Personal opinion I don't think the plaintiff will succeed.

I actualy had an inspector comrad that was a lawyer then became a home inspector. He did quite well for a while, but got sued several times and went back to lawyering.

This crap is why I have the statement below my signature, see below.

If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Richard Stanley Guest

Attorneys are, by law, oficers of the court. This, clearly, is harrasment and an abuse of their legal station. They should be severely sanctioned if not disbarred. Go Gordon.

John Brown Guest

Seller-lawyer has now hired a lawyer so now the meter is running for him too.

There is much more action over at Nacho world:

Houston Inspection Lawsuit - Page 4 - InterNACHI Message Board

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Update:It appears this case has been dismissed. Although the inspector (or his insurer) is stuck with the bills to defend himself against this groundless suit.NK posted update on this thread (along with order to dismiss):http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...suit-over.html

Deck Expert Guest

Talking Re: Texas lawsuit by seller

I was working on a deal with a building owner who is also a lawyer...I submitted a contract that after it came back with his markups I didn't recognize the document. Then he wanted me to give him my credit report when I'm the one about to provide 17k worth of work and give him credit...

when people are a problem ahead of time, they'll be a problem when it comes time to pay...and so to quote a Flock of Seagulls..."and I ran, I ran so far away..." and I'm so much happier!

Good luck on getting out of paying the SOB, probably cheaper/faster in the long run to just shoot him , do 4 years and you'll be back in no time! (kidding, I do not recommend shooting lawyers or anyone for that matter)