Default asphalt shingle curl

I thought that as shingles age they curl under at the edges. The shingles in the picture are curling up at the edges. What is causing this? They claimed the roof was only 6 years old.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: asphalt shingle curl

May depend on who said the roof was only 6 years old. Other than that, I believe there are a number of factors that can cause premature aging of an asphalt composition/laminated shingle roof. Causes include a bad batch of shingles, improper installation, inadequate venting of the attic space, and excess moisture in the attic. Improper installation can include one or more issues by itself including underlayment or shingles installed on a wet roof, inadequate or improper underlayment.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

looks older than 6, Ask for paperwork on install. Looks like a big nail pop or maybe loose plywood underlayment up there too. Whenever an owner puts an age on something I always ask them to prove it. 6 years blends into 12 pretty fast

Are those 3-tab shingles or single tab shingles?

Those tabs look real wide for 3-tab shingles, and some joints are aligned one course to the next course.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

South or west exposure, low quality shingles.

Is wind damage a possibility? Poor nailing, nails too high, can lead to shingles flipping up in a windstorm and some look like they're coming loose.

Lack of ventilation?Looks like there is not much of a soffit.

I bet there is excessive moisture in the attic and when it freezes the condensation on the roof freezes making thoes puppies curl. From the apparent age of the gutters could be the roof cover is much older than 6 years. Report roofer to inspect roof cover is damaged.

Tom McKay
    ASHI Certified Inspector

Phil Brody Guest

Looks like many of the rises would be right where it would be nailed on the course below and risen because of a nail that wasn't set all the way down, aka a malfunctioning nail gun. Gently pry up the shingle and see if the nail head is protruding.

Post Re: asphalt shingle curl

Any way you look at it, the word "worn" comes to mind, and the phrase "repair/replace". The real estate agent will say "it's not leaking", the client will want to know how soon it should be replaced, and the seller will still claim it is only 6 years old, regardless of the lack of documentation. How many layers of shingle are on the roof? Any rain recently?

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Randy asked an important question - How many layers of shingles are there? Very often when I see an uneven roof surface, its because there is an older layer underneath. And, depending on just how bad of condition that first layer was, it could significantly shorten the lifespan of the new top layer. Around here, I will occasionally see a roof with two layers of asphalt shingles on top of an ancient layer of wood shakes - that usually looks even more uneven.

Older homes that used 1x8 or wider spaced wood plank for a sheathing (i.e, constructed 1880 to 1940) will also tend to have more expansion and contraction movement and wear out shingles faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Aldering View Post
    How many layers of shingle are on the roof? Any rain recently?
    1 layer. It was raining that day. The roof is actually wet in the picture. there were no signs of active leaks seen from within the attic.

It's a 40's townhome with 1x8 planks for sheathing.

Again, the thing that gets me is the upward edge curl. I usually see downward edge curl on aging shingles. Isn't that what you all see too?

Upcurling shingles can be the result of humidity leaving the attic through the shingle covering. Humidity leaking from the interior of the home, typically as a result of improper or inadequate ceiling insulation, can cause that effect.
    I would look to the ceiling insulation, quality of installation and, of course, adequate attic ventilation. Inadequacies in any or all of these areas can result in upturned shingle tabs.