Default What is this roofing material?

I'm passing along this question from another inspector, figuring someone on this forum will be able to identify this for us. Thanks a lot for your help.

"This roofing material is very light, you can easily break it in half or crush it in your hand, the roof is double stacked and notice how long each individual tile is. The material is very porous, small plants are growing on it at one section. Thanks!"

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: What is this roofing material?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Chambers View Post
    I'm passing along this question from another inspector, figuring someone on this forum will be able to identify this for us. Thanks a lot for your help.

"This roofing material is very light, you can easily break it in half or crush it in your hand, the roof is double stacked and notice how long each individual tile is. The material is very porous, small plants are growing on it at one section. Thanks!"
    Michael,

Your photo is really small and I cannot see much. What you describe might be Cal Shake or one of the other lightweight tiles that came out a couple of decades ago. If it is, the tiles would turn to mush when when it rained. Otherwise, it was a good material.

I think the class-action lawsuit has since expired for these materials. I would advise replacement of the roof.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Or Cemwood, or the others.

Without something to go on, like the dimensions of the tile (or then "and notice how long each individual tile is") there is nothing we cay say or advise the other inspector.

I would ask the other inspector to provide more information, and post it here himself/herself as that would allow us to ask questions and get additional information.

Most roof tiles are somewhat long (how long is that?). Most roof tiles are probably at least 16" long and many are 18" or longer. Most roof tiles are from 9" wide to 12" wide with some being wider.

But there is no reference to compare those to.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Or Cemwood, or the others.

Without something to go on, like the dimensions of the tile (or then "and notice how long each individual tile is") there is nothing we cay say or advise the other inspector.

I would ask the other inspector to provide more information, and post it here himself/herself as that would allow us to ask questions and get additional information.

Most roof tiles are somewhat long (how long is that?). Most roof tiles are probably at least 16" long and many are 18" or longer. Most roof tiles are from 9" wide to 12" wide with some being wider.

But there is no reference to compare those to.
    Thanks! I have already made that suggestion, asking for better photos if he has some. We'll see if he follows through.