Default Halfway to IRC Combination License

As you are my second family (though I've never seen most you or had you over for Thanksgiving....)

I passed the B1 and M1 test today for the ICC.

Along the same vein, as the state trooper said to me some 30 yrs ago..."Young man, just because you passed your driving exam DOESN'T MAKE YOU A GOOD DRIVER" (and yes he yelled that at me).

So it follows that just b/c I passed two ICC exams....

Preparing to take the E1 and P1 in December...anyone want to share helpful hints. I hear the E1 is super hard.

Tooting my horn,
    Bruce

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Default Re: Halfway to IRC Combination License

JB,

Just how difficult were the tests. I have been cogitating on doing the same.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I felt the mechanical was pretty tough. There were a lot of combustion air questions.

You know it is an open book test? What you have to do is know where things are so that you can look them up quickly. Even at that, it has difficult portions.

Of course, they didn't ask nearly enough of the questions that I already knew the answer to and didn't need to look up.

I used a software called ACEducator on www.assurancecheck.net. It is geared for the 2006 IRC and the ICC is changing the exams on 01/01/10 to reflect the 2009 IRC. I think Assurance Check is changing their material for 2009 as well (I hope).

The software was good at making me know or get the feel where things could be found. Are there any other studying softwares that others can vouch for?

B

Congrats JB

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Congrats JB
    Thanks Rick

On the ICC site, it says the 2005 NEC is "optional secondary reference" for E1.

Anyone out there taken the E1? Will I need the NEC ?

Thx
    Bruce

Congradulations!

Here's a PDF that gives you everything you are afraid to ask!

Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post
    Congradulations!

Here's a PDF that gives you everything you are afraid to ask!
    I've read that document for the past 8 months

I'm wanting to know if I really need the NEC to take E1

thx

JB

All questions in the IRC inspector exam are taken directly from the 2006 IRC at this time. Next year it will be the 2009 IRC. Got your copy yet friends? Most folks trip up on the time element by not knowing how to use the "index," which is arguably the most vital part of a code book. Sample:
    Where do you look in the index if the question asked is about a "shut-off valve" and/or a water heater's relief valve piping? Recognizing the key word in a question is the key to being efficient and in this case the key word is valve.

I learned quite a lot about taking ICC exams after teaching the IRC for 14 years and sitting on 3 different ICC exam committees, currently the Residential Plans Examiner Exam Committee. In my opinion the best way to take an exam is to answer every question you're sure you know the answer to and then go back and look up the answers to the questions you’re not sure of. These exams, like most psychometrically designed exams, use stem questions with 1 correct answer and 3 distracters. Many exam takers can figure out the correct answer just by mentally reading the question out loud because one distracter is usually silly, another not very close and then it comes down to 2 alternatives which reduce your odds to even in being right.

Always strive to use the time allotted wisely when taking an exam Designing exams has always been a fun time for me and besides being an instructor and ICC exam guy I’ve helped out with the NHIE and have been a charter member of CREIA’s CCI and MCI exam committee since 1999...

Good luck !

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    JB

All questions in the IRC inspector exam are taken directly from the 2006 IRC at this time. Next year it will be the 2009 IRC. Got your copy yet friends? Most folks trip up on the time element by not knowing how to use the "index," which is arguably the most vital part of a code book. Sample:
    Where do you look in the index if the question asked is about a "shut-off valve" and/or a water heater's relief valve piping? Recognizing the key word in a question is the key to being efficient and in this case the key word is valve.

I learned quite a lot about taking ICC exams after teaching the IRC for 14 years and sitting on 3 different ICC exam committees, currently the Residential Plans Examiner Exam Committee. In my opinion the best way to take an exam is to answer every question you're sure you know the answer to and then go back and look up the answers to the questions you’re not sure of. These exams, like most psychometrically designed exams, use stem questions with 1 correct answer and 3 distracters. Many exam takers can figure out the correct answer just by mentally reading the question out loud because one distracter is usually silly, another not very close and then it comes down to 2 alternatives which reduce your odds to even in being right.

Always strive to use the time allotted wisely when taking an exam Designing exams has always been a fun time for me and besides being an instructor and ICC exam guy I’ve helped out with the NHIE and have been a charter member of CREIA’s CCI and MCI exam committee since 1999...

Good luck !
    The 2005 NEC is listed as secondary material OPTIONAL. In your opinion, do I need to study this as well?

Bruce

JB

No, but I would purchase the 2008 NEC. I've never been able to get my alleged mind around seasoned inspectors not having a complete building code library.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    JB

No, but I would purchase the 2008 NEC. I've never been able to get my alleged mind around seasoned inspectors not having a complete building code library.
    I do have some Code Check books and also the 03, 06, 09 IRC; however, I had not purchased any NEC books.

Since the exam bulletin listed the 05 NEC, I wasn't keen on purchasing this older book. But if I only need to study the electrical portion of the IRC for the E1, I will probably purchase the 08 NEC for my own reference.

Thanks.

When you decide to purchase the NEC, purchase the NEC Handbook. It gives you better explanations of the articles and diagrams.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post
    When you decide to purchase the NEC, purchase the NEC Handbook. It gives you better explanations of the articles and diagrams.
    Thanks