Kevin Luce Guest

Default A drop in HI will occur tomorrow

From the state list, it looks like this county (the second largest in the state of Indiana) is going from 39 home inspectors to 22 living in this county. That number might go up a little since today is the last day to renew their license.

At this time 2 years ago, we had 11 home inspectors not renewing.

Later on I'll take a look on the number of home inspectors that have become a home inspector in the last 2 years but it didn't seem like many.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: A drop in HI will occur tomorrow

Kevin,

Your lucky then. I probably have that many living in the neighborhood.

Actually, I had a guy tailing me home yesterday. He followed me all the way to the house and when I got out of my truck he pulled in behind me. He just had to get out of his truck and tell me he just got his HI license like I should be impressed or something.

He goes into telling me how he's going to take over the business in this area. He's been marketing (donuts) to all the offices. I started laughing a bit which I think annoyed him. I told him good luck and he drove off.

Just another sucker cranked out of one of the HI schools.

rick

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

My favorite is the guy up the road that sprang for a 1/2 page Yellow pages ad. He's done 3 inspections in the last three months. I warned him. It just isn't that kind of business.

JLMathis

Ted Menelly Guest

I am getting calls about folks that are just getting into or are already started masking advise and such.

As Rick said I think if you draw a five mile radius around my house you will see dozens of home inspectors. It amazes me (I guess I should not knock it) that I have enough business to eat never mind anything else.

Now...You wanna talk reschedules. Both of todays moved till Friday. 2 tomorrow moved to Saturday. The one for Saturday moved to Monday.

Sound like a lot of inspections.....Not.......I have already done 2 this week which will total 6 inspections. The most I have done in one week in a long, long time.

I hope this is signs of things to come. Warning to all new inspectors in the area. The swine flue, for some reason or other, has been attacking all new home inspectors in the area. Can't figure that one out. Just the new and about to be new inspectors.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 09-30-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Ted, 6 is the new 10.

I typically do 2 per day, so 10 is a full week. I went 16 months before I had a full week. For the longest time, I felt that 6 was the new 10.

Thankfully, I am pretty busy, but it sometimes takes me 6 days to get a decent week.

Earlier this year (February) at our chapter meeting, we took a survey. Every inspector in the room had done no more than 4 inspections the week before. A few had done zero. It's picked up quite a bit since then, but still a long way off from where it should be.

David McGuire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post

He goes into telling me how he's going to take over the business in this area. He's been marketing (donuts) to all the offices. I started laughing a bit which I think annoyed him. I told him good luck and he drove off.

Just another sucker cranked out of one of the HI schools.

rick
    Funny, yes. I am just getting into this business. But I have no fantasy of over taking any territory and putting anyone out of business. My success will depend on my strengths, accuracy of inspections and communication to my customers. Not very many inspectors in this part of my state anyhow. Even if ya wanted to put somebody out of business I wouldn't have a clue where to begin. If somebody goes out of business, it might very well be their own fault for being complacent and over confident anyhow.

Making friends one way or another with any Realtor is not in my book.

Do I have a lot to learn? Absolutely. But in this business is there ever a point of not learning? I doubt it and I hope not. Too many new products, building methods, repair contractors and legal concerns to ever know and see it all. As soon as you think you know it all and have seen it all, you are bound to either get hurt, sued or both.

Last time I checked there were 258 in my county and 147 in the county next door. A change of 11 would not even be noticed. Like others mentioned, probably have that many inspectors living within a 5 mile radius.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Kevin Luce Guest

The county East of me (which is the only other county I work in) went from 18 home inspectors to 10.

We do have some Illinois home inspectors that come over to Indiana. I consider that number also low going by the amount of advertising in the phone book and the amount of brochures.

From what you guys are saying, it does sound like we are lucky around here.

David McGuire Guest

258 in one county, 147 in another, even 10 in one county. Thats a lot of saturation. Here in my county I am the only one. County to the SW has 3, county 2 counties to the SE has 4. Not many at all in these parts of Kansas.

Kevin,

Just wanted to give you a big thank-you buddy for your comment of " A drop in HI will occur tomorrow".

I think you must have put a curse on the market. My phone hasn't rang all day.

Dang your Kevin.

rick

Kevin Luce Guest

Kevin,

Just wanted to give you a big thank-you buddy for your comment of " A drop in HI will occur tomorrow".

Dang your Kevin.

rick
    Sorry about that I think. What can I do to help you out?

I don't do this for just anyone one but because of the situation you're finding yourself in, I have some motivational tapes that I'll sell you for $19.95 each. (Plus shipping and handling). And if you say you want them within the next 24 hours, I throw in a relaxation tape for not extra cost (Just pay separate shipping and handling). Like I just typed, I don't do this for everyone.

Last edited by Kevin Luce; 10-01-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David McGuire View Post
    258 in one county, 147 in another, even 10 in one county. Thats a lot of saturation. Here in my county I am the only one. County to the SW has 3, county 2 counties to the SE has 4. Not many at all in these parts of Kansas.
    1 in your county. What is the population?

The county I live in where there are 22 home inspectors living here has a population of 493,800 in 2008. The next county over from me that has 10 home inspectors living there is 162,181 in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by David McGuire View Post
    Funny, yes. I am just getting into this business. But I have no fantasy of over taking any territory and putting anyone out of business. My success will depend on my strengths, accuracy of inspections and communication to my customers. Not very many inspectors in this part of my state anyhow. Even if ya wanted to put somebody out of business I wouldn't have a clue where to begin. If somebody goes out of business, it might very well be their own fault for being complacent and over confident anyhow.

Making friends one way or another with any Realtor is not in my book.

Do I have a lot to learn? Absolutely. But in this business is there ever a point of not learning? I doubt it and I hope not. Too many new products, building methods, repair contractors and legal concerns to ever know and see it all. As soon as you think you know it all and have seen it all, you are bound to either get hurt, sued or both.
    What is going on with the new home inspector law in Kansas that goes into effect next year?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Kevin,

Dang your Kevin.

rick

Hey Rick... I think Kevin post open the flood gates in Calif. I set up 4 today. One was 5000 SQ Feet

Best

Ron

David McGuire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    1 in your county. What is the population?

18,000 in 2008

David McGuire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    What is going on with the new home inspector law in Kansas that goes into effect next year?

Scott, I sure wish I could answer that question. Right now it is still in the hands of the committee to come up with the standards. Unfortunately, when you contact them, the governors office or anybody else, nobody has an answer. Some say it will all be worked out by next May, others have no confidence it will get worked out at all. Might end up being a state law that just goes away.

But, I have posted here before, that when I find out, I am going to post it here. Just remember Scott, the people working on this are from the government and they are here to help us.

Restoration Guest

Good information here...the numbers are falling yes.