Thread: A Horse’s Ass

Ron Bibler Guest

Default A Horse’s Ass

Railroads, Space Shuttles, and a Horse’s Ass

Railroad tracks
    This is fascinating.

Be sure to read the final paragraph; your understanding of it will depend on the earlier part of the content. The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That’s an exceedingly odd number.

Why was that gauge used? Because that’s the way they built them in England, and English expatriates built the US railroads.

Why did the English build them like that? Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the pre-railroad tramways, and that’s the gauge they used.

Why did ‘they’ use that gauge then? Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they used for building wagons, which used that wheel spacing.

Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing? Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break on some of the old, long distance roads in England, because that’s the spacing of the wheel ruts.

So who built those old rutted roads? Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (and England) for their legions. The roads have been used ever since.

And the ruts in the roads? Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match for fear of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever.

So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder ‘What horse’s ass came up with it?’, you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses (Two horse’s asses.) Now, the twist to the story:

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRB’s. The SRB’s are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah . The engineers who designed the SRB’s would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRB’s had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRB’s had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses’ behinds.

So, a major Space Shuttle design feature of what is arguably the world’s most advanced transportation system was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse’s ass. And you thought being a horse’s ass wasn’t important? Ancient horse’s asses control almost everything … and CURRENTLY, as we are sure you have noticed, Horse’s Asses are controlling everything else.
    It sould be noted that this is all B.S.
    Best

Ron

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Ron Bibler; 09-30-2009 at 05:15 PM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: A Horse’s Ass

Good post Ron, ain’t historical facts interesting?.
    BTW, there’s a rumor going around northern California that three of Brian’s regular posters where seen breaking bread in John’s Grill in San Francisco last Monday, 09-28-2009. They are known as the EC & WC Jerrys and Gunnar. Apparently Ron Bibler and Sam Spade couldn’t make it?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Good post Ron, ain’t historical facts interesting?.
    BTW, there’s a rumor going around northern California that three of Brian’s regular posters where seen breaking bread in John’s Grill in San Francisco last Monday, 09-28-2009. They are known as the EC & WC Jerrys and Gunnar. Apparently Ron Bibler and Sam Spade couldn’t make it?
    WCJ,
    Any photos to document this sighting or is this another left coast urban myth

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Ron Bibler Guest

I did want to make that Guys But my Wife was in surgery on the 28th at Kaiser... in Santa Rosa... Hope you had a good time and a LAUGH on Me... L.O.L.

Next Time...

bEST

rON

John Brown Guest

Sounds great, but alas, another internet myth....

snopes.com: Railroad Gauges and Roman Chariots

Quote Originally Posted by John Brown View Post
    Sounds great, but alas, another internet myth....

snopes.com: Railroad Gauges and Roman Chariots
    I don't know what snopes said, but the last line of the story tells you up front:

It should be noted that this is all B.S.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

John Brown Guest

Unhappy Re: A Horse’s Ass

I apologize for not reading closer. I am the horse's ass.

Smile Re: A Horse’s Ass

I suppose Barry if I told you my dog ate the photos of Gunnar, EC Jerry and I having lunch would not be believed?
    Actually my PC ate them when I was transfering my camera's reader card to my PC. Very weird and I don't know the cause at something like this has never happened before. You're just going to trust me that we broke bread and Gunnar's & EC Jerry's wife where witnesses.

Jerry McCarthy

I suppose Barry if I told you my dog ate the photos of Gunnar, EC Jerry and I having lunch would not be believed?
    Actually my PC ate them when I was transfering my camera's reader card to my PC. Very weird and I don't know the cause at something like this has never happened before. You're just going to trust me that we broke bread and Gunnar's & EC Jerry's wife where witnesses.
    It's true. I think that JP took a pic with his phone, so we will just have to wait until he gets home from his trip. I didn't think to bring a camera (duh). Unless there is some bizarre EMF at John's that scrambles cameras.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Hi Gunnar and WC Jerry,

Great to meet you guys at John's Grill.

I was going to take a photo with my phone (left camera in bag in car) but did not because Jerry Mc., thought took some photos with his camera.

I CAN ATTEST IN COURT if need be ... ... that I did in fact meet Gunnar, his wife, and Jerry Mc., at John's Grill in San Francisco on September 28, 2009.

I've been trying to get some e-mail out but am having e-mail problems where we are now staying.

If you go into John's Grille, go to the stairs, first thing you will notice ... should notice ... is the light is the wrong type of light for the stair, that there is no junction box, that the wires are taped up, the lamp is an exposed lamp, and then turn your attention to the handrails - only one (not on both sides) and has the wrong supports and the ends not returned to the wall or floor, in addition to not being long enough. Then there was ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

"If you go into John's Grille, go to the stairs, first thing you will notice ... should notice ... is the light is the wrong type of light for the stair, that there is no junction box, that the wires are taped up, the lamp is an exposed lamp, and then turn your attention to the handrails - only one (not on both sides) and has the wrong supports and the ends not returned to the wall or floor, in addition to not being long enough. Then there was ... "

Yeah, and almost every other grill in the country.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

JP & Jerry Mc.

Apparently, we are going to have to meet again soon. A picture is a necessity. Maybe dinner this time?

Ron Bibler Guest

OK You 3 amigo's have pick the ( HORSE'S ASS ) To do your little reunion... and now you want us to believe this without any Photos

Glad you guys had a good time...

Best

Ron

John's Grill, circa 1908, opened before California had a building code (CBC 1927) and part of its charm is its sloping floors, dangerous stairway and electrical defects. For those not from the land of Oz check it out: John's Grill seafood steak salad pasta restaurant in San Francisco

Our next get-together - God willing, will be at Tadich Grill, circa 1849.
    There you will see building defects beyond your wildest imagination. But OMG, what food!
    A grand old Grill / After 155 years, San Francisco's iconic restaurant still packs them in

Jerry McCarthy

I'm all over that! Just set the time and date.

Ron Bibler Guest

John's Grill, circa 1908, opened before California had a building code (CBC 1927) and part of its charm is its sloping floors, dangerous stairway and electrical defects. For those not from the land of Oz check it out: John's Grill seafood steak salad pasta restaurant in San Francisco

There you will see building defects beyond your wildest imagination. But OMG, what food!
    A grand old Grill / After 155 years, San Francisco's iconic restaurant still packs them in

You said ( GOD )

Best

Ron

Ron,

Hope your wife gets better soon.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Hi Gunnar and WC Jerry,

Great to meet you guys at John's Grill.

I was going to take a photo with my phone (left camera in bag in car) but did not because Jerry Mc., thought took some photos with his camera.

I CAN ATTEST IN COURT if need be ... ... that I did in fact meet Gunnar, his wife, and Jerry Mc., at John's Grill in San Francisco on September 28, 2009.

I've been trying to get some e-mail out but am having e-mail problems where we are now staying.

If you go into John's Grille, go to the stairs, first thing you will notice ... should notice ... is the light is the wrong type of light for the stair, that there is no junction box, that the wires are taped up, the lamp is an exposed lamp, and then turn your attention to the handrails - only one (not on both sides) and has the wrong supports and the ends not returned to the wall or floor, in addition to not being long enough. Then there was ...
    How does one summit information to snopes to find out if things posted on this site are true?

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Richard Stanley Guest

Why is snopes the final authority? Can you believe them?

John Armstrong Guest

Tadich Grill is incredible, a real SF institution. If you go late enough you might see the twins. EXOSKELETON: Tadich Grill Twins, I see them most times that I go.

John-