Thread: Condos

Clifford Mark Guest

Default Condos

I inspected a condo conversion today, i.e. 42-year old apartment complex is being converted to saleable "condo units" - this one about 440 square feet - second floor. My general impression was that the conversion contractor (property owner?) is being extremely thrifty and not very thorough (more lipstick than substance). Around the exterior of the property were several "unsafe conditions" which my client as buyer of just one unit was going to encounter on a regular basis even though these "unsafe conditions" were likely covered by an HOA-type entity. These conditions include issues in and around the laundry room she would be using, the stairways she and her guests would be utilizing, the parking garage in which she would be parking, etc.

The questions is how to handle these HOA issues on the report, if reported, and whether to take the issues to property owner, renovation contractor, city building department or others. Suggestions?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Condos

I would not stick my nose in that... Talk to your client off the recored...

Let the and the agent deal with it.

Best

Ron

I tell my clients that I only inspect the condo itself and not the common areas, BUT if I see any obvious areas likely to be a safety or economic issue, it goes in the report. I will say something to the effect of: Even though the xyz is not part of this inspection, I did note there was 123 on the roof/pool/etc. that will be a concern to the on going maintenance cost of the building. While this will not be something withing the individual unit owners responsibility or control, I would recommend investigating the reserve funds, etc. to ensure that provisions for repair are in place.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I do pretty much the same as Jim.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Clifford Mark Guest

Thanks Ron, Jim and Gunnar. I may wait for a few more replies to see if there is some sort of "consensus" on this because my responsibility to the client trumps my fear of lawsuits. But I'm listening so "speak on" my experienced brethren.

Ron Bibler Guest

There is another point to my inspection I should note: I do Calif State WDO report at the same time I do my home inspection. These Ca WDO Reports are almost as thick as a standard HI Report. Some go 25 PAGES thick. In these reports I do cover the exterior of the unit. roof, roof overhangs, foundation soil condition ventilation sub-area/attic siding trim, gutters and any stairs or balconies/decks,landings. so not much is overlook. if not covered in one report its in the other.

Hope this helps.

Best

Ron

Clifford Mark Guest

I'm in Texas but what is a WDO report? If done as a matter of course, is there a charge and is this "more extensive" review/inspection agreed to by the buyer of the condo?

WDO = Wood Destroying Organism

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas