Default Chicago eliminated in 2016 Olympics vote

Inspection Referral
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Default Re: Chicago eliminated in 2016 Olympics vote

I cheered and clapped when I heard the news. I was on a union construction site talking with the engineer when I heard. No one was happy with my attitude. All the big shots were disappointed. The union guys were pissed. I don't know how it is where you guys are but around here ... a good portion/majority/? of the union guys who work on downtown type highrises don't live in the City. One can watch the mass exodus of pickup trucks with out of town stickers and out of state plates come 1530.
    For those of us who live in the City it would have been hell financially. I like the Olympics and have been to 1 summer and 2 winter but didn't want them here.
    I think the really interesting part is that we got knocked out in the 1st round. Says a lot about the IOC not believing our Mayors' BS. If they really wanted the Olympics here they should have hired me for the bid committee but that's another story.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Ha ha!

The US Olympic Training Center is 15 minutes from my house so today I went there and bought 'Chicago 2016 Candidate City' T-shirt. They are now 50% off. It should be fun to wear.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Ken Bates Guest

The real reason:

Too windy for Badminton & archery.

Michael Greenwalt Guest

It is always disappointing to hear when we lose an Olympic bid. My congradulations to Rio for thier success in getting the nod.
    Guess I could not really understand why anyone (American that is) is happy to see our country lose; am I missing something?

Michael Greenwalt Guest

Aha, guess I should have payed attention to original post, this is an anti-someone thing. Guess some people will never be satisfied until they see America on the losing end. Sorta sad really.

Edward Loughran Guest

Hosting the Olympics certainly brings out the pride of a nation. However, there is no guarantee that the host nation will not be saddled with huge long term debt from the event. It is sad that as a nation we were eliminated, but possibly not a bad thing.

James Foy Guest

Not since the Los Angeles Olympics of 1984 did any venue actually make money. While certain contractors and service industries will make money, the tax payers will be on the hook for the rest. These days, getting the Olympics is a political payoff to connected politicians and their friends, that the citizenry pays for.

With the mounting debt at all levels of government, the majority of residents of Chicago will be better off without the Olympics.

And seriously, after boot camp in Great Lakes, I would much prefer a summer in Rio, than in Chicago.