Default Smoke Detectors In New Condo Not Connected.

Inspected a condo yesterday that is 3-4 years old. Stopped by the sales office to let them know I was heading over to start. Realtor came in from another office, saw me and said that she was surprised that someone would get an inspection on new condos since everything is taken care of by the maintenance department.

On top of other fit and finish and leaking faucet stuff I found that none of the smoke detectors are electrically connected. They just mounted the detector on the junction box and did not hook any of them up.

Nice

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Michael Carson
    Inspect It Right Home Inspections L.L.C.
    www.inspectitrighthomeinspection.com

Default Re: Smoke Detectors In New Condo Not Connected.

Around here smoke detectors are also required to be interconnected with battery backup.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Well so much for the maintenance crew. Hope the place doesn't catch fire and someone is killed. Makes you wonder what is amiss in the other units.

Good find!

Quote Originally Posted by ben jacks View Post
    On top of that, the smoke alarm has no battery back-up, let alone an interconnecting parallel alarm conductor. I know WI State has adopted the smoke alarm 120Vac battery backup NFPA 72 Ch.11 requirement (1996) so this may have been a double violation. I notice that an AC whip is the interconnecting means and may not provide easy repair accessibility. I myself, would write it up requiring a hookup, but as a CYA just in case I would mention the missing battery and interconnecting conductor. A different smoke alarm may be needed. rbj

I did write it up as requiring hookup according to local ordinances with applicable municipal inspection. The reason the battery is not there is because I had to remove it to get to the screw and loosen it. I did that so I could slide the detector aside to show the wiring along with the alarm for the picture.
    Thank you for the info, I forgot the actual Ch. 11 requirement section.

Michael Carson
    Inspect It Right Home Inspections L.L.C.
    www.inspectitrighthomeinspection.com

You say the battery was installed so the unit would test ok, but not be hard wired???

Dang, now I'm wondering how many more are out there not wired just like that?????

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    You say the battery was installed so the unit would test ok, but not be hard wired???

Dang, now I'm wondering how many more are out there not wired just like that?????
    John,

If they are hard-wired in and interconnected as required, not being wired in and having a battery will not trigger the other smoke detectors - only that one will go off.

That should be enough to write the smoke detectors up, and have the installation checked and corrected, which would include the wiring.

If hard-wired and actually connected, but not interconnected, the same thing would happen - only that one smoke detector would go off.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    John,

If they are hard-wired in and interconnected as required, not being wired in and having a battery will not trigger the other smoke detectors - only that one will go off.
    Thanks Jerry, that's ..........logical !!