Default HAZARD: Improper fan-motor replacement wiring 'methods'

Inspected this home last week. Too many local HVAC-techs pull the replacement fan-motor wiring up through the cabinet grill and after a period of time in our 115-degree Southern Nevada sun...the insulation cracks and the cabinet and panels become energized...

YouTube - HAZARD HVAC cabinet energized1

My 'sniffer' is worth it's weight-in-gold and has saved my 'hide' too many times to count. (I should have had my gloves on when I shot this video though eh?) My-bad.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Glenn R. Curtis CMI
    La$ Vega$, Nevada
    Inspecting Nevada since 1982

James Vincent Guest

Default Re: HAZARD: Improper fan-motor replacement wiring 'methods'

That is very Shocking!

David McGuire Guest

Gloves yes. Curiosity question, did these people have kids or pets? Miracle nobody had been killed from the hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by David McGuire View Post
    Curiosity question, did these people have kids or pets? A 'miracle' nobody had been killed from the hazard.
    Yes, agreed! House was occupied...a family with young kids....renters. The 'return' plenum dropped straight through the attic to the hallway-ceiling-mounted return-grill. Metal cover....yes, it was energized too! The filters were dirtier than a politician's-promises.... thankfully! They hadn't changed the filters in 'years'.... I told them (in my best-broken-'espanol') to stay-away until repairs were made...informed both agents this was a 'HAZARD' of the highest-priority and to call the property-owner immediately to correct.

Glenn R. Curtis CMI
    La$ Vega$, Nevada

David McGuire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Curtis View Post
    Yes, agreed! House was occupied...a family with young kids....renters. The 'return' plenum dropped straight through the attic to the hallway-ceiling-mounted return-grill. Metal cover....yes, it was energized too! The filters were dirtier than a politician's-promises.... thankfully! They hadn't changed the filters in 'years'.... I told them (in my best-broken-'espanol') to stay-away until repairs were made...informed both agents this was a 'HAZARD' of the highest-priority and to call the property-owner immediately to correct.
    HVAC filters, one of the cheapest forms of home maintenance and one of the most over-looked. Sad to say my oldest boy when he moved out didn't realize until over a year later he had to change the filter. He did remember me and his mother both changing filters over the years, but he just thought it was something we did because we were picky.

I have gotten into the habit of always checking any metal cabinet, housing or conduit to see if it was charged before I ever touch it. I even check the screws on outlets before I check them for GFCI and such. Never ran into a problem. But it only takes one problem to keep ya from going home as safe and healthy at the end of the day as you started out. Finding out how good your workmans comp insurance or having your family dive through the life insurance forms is definitely not worth the risk.

Did you shut the unit off?

Not only is the unit wiring defective causing the energized situation, the bonding is not right. Two for the price of one.
    This is a good argument for bonding unit cases.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by bruce m graham III View Post
    Did you shut the unit off?
    No...If the house was unoccupied....or the outside temps weren't so 'hot' I would have. The listing agent called the owner and that was 'the' question I posed but he said to leave it alone until he could get an HVAC-tech over to the home. I made a risk-management decision and left it as-found, after EVERYONE from owner to agents...to occupants...to buyer...was informed and understood the ramifications & consequences.

The only 'energized' component inside the home was the 'return' grill-cover which was at ceiling height (above kids reach and most of the short-people living in the home) and inside a closet with a louvered-wood-door. Since it had been this way for months...possibly years....and the owner was called & informed...and the HVAC tech was called...I made a 'business' decision to leave it 'as-found'.

Glenn R. Curtis CMI
    La$ Vega$, Nevada