Jeff Roberson Guest

Talking New Real Estate Inspector, Las Vegas

Hello Everyone!
    I was hoping for anyone's advise or tips on starting my new Home Inspector's business. I've completed all my training and I am just waiting for my background check to come back so I can finalize my license.
    I'm very excited to get started and I have no time to waste.
    I was hoping to get input from other inspectors who have established businesses and who would not mind offering a few suggestions on how to get started.
    I have done my fair share of research and have several ideas of my own, however I am certain that input from other professional's will be the most valuable information I can get.
    Thanks in advance for all of your input.
    Regards,
    Jeff Roberson

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: New Real Estate Inspector, Las Vegas

Since you have already spent your money, talking you out of it is probably falling on deaf ears so do a search here. No matter what the inspection school told you, the people here will shoot it straight without pulling punches,
    One bit of advice from me though, "don't quit your day job unless you have 3 years of living expenses saved up or have other means of support (wife with a good job, etc.)
    Do the search here since this has been covered at least once a month as long as I have been hitting this site. Lots of good information if you will read and take heed.
    Good luck.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Do the search here since this has been covered at least once a month as long as I have been hitting this site. Lots of good information if you will read and take heed.
    Good luck.
    More like once a week if not more! For some reason folks are coming out of the woodwork to become a home inspector; problem is that folks are buying homes like the use to do. The lenders have a novel concept now; they require a down payment and good credit! Just last week I had two calls from folks who just got their license asking if I was hiring! Actually, it might have been the same person and they had their wife or girlfriend call to see if I was telling the truth!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

daniel nantell Guest

Keep your golf clubs nearby, you may have time to play a few rounds in between your 4 or 5 homes inspections per day.

Ron Bibler Guest

Its a good thing your not in Ricks area. Or he would be like looking for you

1 out of 10 will make it past the first year or 2. that just the name of the game...

Santa Rosa California Home Inspection - Exterminating & Thermal Imaging

88 Marketing Tips That Will Change Your Life!TM
    Elliott's Marketing PontiFactsSM (EMPF)
    (Elliott’s Marketing Pontificatorial FactoidsSM)
    A marketing pontificatorial factoidSM is an essential marketing principle which deserves pontificating, pulpitthumping
    emphasis.
    General
    1. Marketing is everything!
    2. Perception is everything!
    3. Good marketing can overcome an inferior product or service. Excellent marketing can put a mediocre
    product or service on top. No marketing can help a bad product or service, with the possible exception of a
    brief, brilliant burnout.
    4. Test everything!
    5. Shamelessly go with whatever works. . . as long as it is moral, ethical, and legal!
    6 Always take the marketing initiative where there is an opportunity--waiting is deadly. This is even more
    important in the day of the Internet.
    7. Never leave to chance anything over which you can exert some control.
    8. In addition to a Mission Statement and a Business Plan, you must have a USP (Unique Selling
    Proposition)--that element which sets you apart from your competition.
    9. Learn to think like your customer. Practice thinking like your customer. Until you can learn to “get into
    the head” of your customer, you are committing massive waste: time, money, and talent.
    10. Use your product, service, printed material, web pages, . . . everything, . . . the way your uninformed
    customer will. You'll be amazed how they can be messed up or misused unless you design them properly.
    11. Your “back end” is ultimately worth far more than your “front end,” if you know how to deploy it.
    12. Any marketing dollar for which you do not have a positive method of tracking results is wasted!
    13. When you prepare any form of intellectual property, plan to deploy it in at least three different formats,
    e.g., tape, e-book, transcript, CD, DVD, MP3, etc.
    14. Anytime you put your phone number, address, or web address in your material or on your web site, call
    it, write it, click on it. Mistakes in any of these can more than negate any anticipated returns and make you
    appear very foolish, as well.
    15. Your mailing list (or e-mail list) is everything!
    16. Readability rules! Don’t get too cute, artistic, or anything else that detracts from readability.
    17. Never assume you have the best design, etc., you can always improve it.
    18. Let only the marketplace determine what works and how.
    19. The “pull,” “draw,” or “yield” are always relative! Numbers mean nothing by themselves. A five percent
    pull may be a wonderful yield for one program and an abysmal one for another; an unbelievable
    moneymaker for one and a big money loser for another. Consider only the profit of each response as a part of
    your program.
    20. Every person prefers to purchase goods and services from someone he or she knows.
    Paul Elliott, Marketing Design and Consulting, On Line and Off Line; Paul (at) FractalMarketing.net
    Marketing with unbelievable guarantees!
    207 N Service Rd E, #213, Ruston, LA 71270, USA
    © 2002— 2009, Paul Elliott, All rights reserved worldwide Page 1 of 5
    21. No matter what the goods or services you have to offer are, you are not in the business of providing
    those. No matter what you prefer to believe, you are in the business of building interpersonal relationships.
    The sooner you acknowledge that fact and pursue it vigorously, the sooner you will be massively successful.
    22. No matter what your business, develop a newsletter--e-mail or mail or both.
    23. A picture is worth much less than a thousand words: Anywhere you have a choice, use one thousand
    well-chosen words rather than one picture!
    24. With any mailing or e-mailing, do A/B splits whenever feasible. The split with the best pull becomes the
    next A against which you position a new B, and so forth, continuing the process.
    25. A very effective script writing formula is: fear, fear, solution. You pose a fear you know the customer has
    or should have; then, you pose another; then, you offer the solution to those fears, which is your product or
    service.
    26. A good headline is worth a thousand words.
    27. Never assume your customer knows anything about your business or service.
    28. Educate your customer out of your marketing dilemma. Your dilemma? Not enough business. Tell your
    customer all about your product or service, why it is worth what your are charging, and why he or she should
    buy it.
    29. Frequently ask your customers what they want. They will tell you. Follow their advice!
    30. It takes five times more money, time, and effort to sell a given amount of goods or services to a new
    customer than to a customer you already have. Therefore, first, upsell your existing customers.
    31. Look for vendors and businesses in other fields who have the same customer base you do, with whom to
    affiliate to market to one another's customers.
    32. When marketing to an affiliate's customers, use the affiliate's endorsement of your product or services in
    the form of a cover letter or e-mail introduction.
    33. Whenever you give a speech or important presentation, record it with a small recorder in your pocket or
    purse. You may have a brilliant thought, which is then retrievable. You can review the recording later to
    critique your presentation. You can also use it as a audio or printed product.
    Print/Web
    34. Never allow a printed surface to leave your possession without your contact information on it.
    35. For use in multiple ads, develop “donuts,” templates containing your basic information including your
    USP needed for every application, with the “hole” being the unique information added for each application.
    36. Two percent of the male population is partially red-green colorblind. To that portion of the male
    population, colors with red and green in them will appear as varying shades of gray. Therefore, avoid any
    colors having either of these components, especially pastels. An exception would be very saturated red and
    green like those of traffic signals, or where the colors do not affect the readability.
    37. Where you feel it necessary to use shades of red or green, do not use them as background colors (effect
    equals black ink on gray background) or to visually set off specific items.
    38. Employ white space as a relief tool increasing readability. Use it without disrupting the eye tracking.
    39. Clearly understand the differences between the terms “typeface” and “font:” Never misuse them!
    40. Serifed typefaces, such as Times New Roman, are more readable than san serif typefaces, such as Arial
    or Verdana, except in the 12 points and smaller on the computer screen.
    Paul Elliott, Marketing Design and Consulting, On Line and Off Line; Paul (at) FractalMarketing.net
    © 2002— 2009, Paul Elliott, All rights reserved worldwide Page 2 of 5
    41. The Times Roman and Times New Roman have high pica values containing more characters per inch
    than most other typefaces, yet they are very readable.
    42. Test color!
    43. Test typeface!
    44. Test font!
    Psychology
    45. Each contact with a customer or potential customer is a stroke strengthening the “Affinity Bond.SM”
    46. The Affinity BondSM begins as a thin, tenuous connection, like a single strand of spider web, but can be
    built strand at a time with each contact until it is a hawser, which will moor the mightiest ship.
    47. Anything difficult to read won’t be!
    48. The number one question in every buyer’s mind from the outset is, “What’s in it for me?” The number
    two question in every buyer’s mind from the outset is, “What’s it going to cost me?” The sooner and more
    effectively you answer questions number one and number two, the sooner your listener will “hear” anything
    else you have to say.
    49. People buy benefits, not features. The marketer must translate the features of the product or service into
    benefits (“What’s in it for me?”) for the customer.
    50. Each of us makes purchasing decisions for emotional reasons. Then, we search for enough facts to
    convince, not only ourselves at the conscious level, but any others who might question or review our
    decision, e.g., friend, spouse, relative, boss, or coworker.
    51. Understand eye tracking in a document. The sooner you can seize eye tracking, the sooner you can direct
    it employing it to your advantage.
    52. Curiosity is the most important ingredient in any writing.
    53. Headlines are the most important element in any writing.
    54. Self-preservation, romance, money, and recognition are the four most important and powerful persuaders
    in life. These are the four most important trance-like zones.
    55. There are two reasons for every action: the stated reason and the real reason.
    Web
    56. Few businesses should try to do without a web site.
    57. A web site should be an additional profit center, if not your only profit center (as in the case of web
    based businesses).
    58. Web page no-no: Failure to have your contact information on every page that prints. Solution: People
    will like a particular thing, which they will print out and/or photocopy for themselves or others. If your
    contact information is not there, the benefit to you of your intellectual work is lost for eternity in that
    exchange.
    59. Web page no-no: Right hand margin too far to the right to print on the standard 8.5” X 11” sheet of
    paper in portrait mode without cutting off some text. Solution: This is a page design feature which should
    never be allowed to occur.
    60. Web page no-no: Home Page not printable on the standard 8.5” X 11” sheet of paper in portrait mode
    simply by pressing <Ctrl-P> or clicking on the print icon. Solution: If more than a single sheet of paper is
    &#169; 2002— 2009, Paul Elliott, All rights reserved worldwide Page 3 of 5
    required, be sure the subsequent pages have no loss between the bottom of one to the top of the next page.
    This is a page design feature which should never be allowed to occur.
    61. Web page no-no: Making the final judgment of your web page by looking at it only in the HTML
    development program “browser.” Solution: Load it onto your web host server, log onto the page, view it
    over the Internet using all the popular web browsers, and print it out to see what your customer will be
    seeing and printing.
    62. Web page no-no: Failing to answer your e-mail. Solution: If you cannot do it, have someone else
    do so.
    63. Web page no-no: Using a non-interactive web site. Solution: The more interactive your web site is for
    your customers, the more effective it is in building the affinity bond encouraging them to feel a part of your
    “family.”
    64. Web page no-no: Failing to offer a newsletter or special offer to site visitors. Solution: Have a sign-up
    option for a newsletter or a special offer clearly available on your home page to capture the name and e-mail
    addresses of visitors. Be certain you deliver on the offers.
    65. Web page no-no: Going for the full or big sale from the beginning. In most cases this is a neither the
    best nor the most lucrative approach. Solution: Go for the “shy yes” with the new customers allowing them a
    chance to try your goods or service with the chance to make the larger sale later.
    66. View every one of your web pages with all the common browsers on a PC, Mac, and Linux system
    wherever possible to be sure of the effect.
    67. Print every one of your web pages using each of the common browsers on a PC, Mac, and Linux system
    wherever possible to be sure of the effect.
    68. In the HTML code of your web page the <TITLE> should contain your site’s isnformation by which you
    wish to be associated by the Internet search engines, and USP, not the information of your programmer or
    the HTML translator. Put your name in the <AUTHOR> tag. Be sure to have a short, tightly worded, and
    keyword rich paragraph in your <DESCRIPTION> tag.
    69. Never allow a computer screen of your design “splash” without your contact information on it.
    Titles
    70. Understand the Power of the Something-For-Nothing Seesaw.SM (Contact me.)
    71. Understand the The Psychomotor Aspects of Visual Perception. SM (Contact me.)
    72. Understand the structure and function of The Onion Piece. SM (Contact me.)
    73. A very useful title is The Ten Most Common Mistakes People Make When <featured activity> And How
    To Avoid Them. There can be any number, the activity is whatever you provide, and you offer all the
    methods of avoidance. Write approximately one 8.5” X 11” or two pamphlet pages (ease of photocopying)
    on each “Mistake” and “Avoidance.”
    74. A very compelling title is The Five <or any number> Dirty Little Secrets No <insert person or title>
    Ever Wants You To Learn!
    Words
    75. Understand the age and educational level of your readers and design the copy for that combination.
    Never use terminology or sentence structure and complexity that exceeds those parameters.
    76. Fewer, well-chosen words are better than more.
    &#169; 2002— 2009, Paul Elliott, All rights reserved worldwide Page 4 of 5
    77. Use words, punctuation, and sentence structure with punch.
    78. Avoid the passive voice.
    79. Always use action and command words: look, act now, click here, call now, open your browser, etc.
    80. Always use personal words: you, we, I, etc.
    81. Always use “picture” words: just think, imagine, what if, etc.
    82. Use words to trigger the emotions of the listener/reader, e.g., you, me, I, just imagine, believe me, just
    think, what if, just picture, what if you, wouldn’t it be amazing if, etc.
    83. Use simple words, easily understood words, and short simple sentences. This technique makes it easier to
    read.
    Customers
    84. The average sale is made after the fifth through the seventh contact. Eighty percent of sales people never
    make the second contact.
    85. Tie into your readers’ minds by telling them the “story.”
    86. Lead the minds of your readers to get them to think or say “yes” with a head nod--“yes, yes.”
    87. When your reader/listener has finished with your piece, he or she should have only one question,“Where
    do I pay?”
    88. When testing a sales piece, ask your reader for a response. If you hear, “That was a great letter!” you
    have failed! If you hear, “How can I get it?” you have succeeded!
    Paul Elliott
    Marketing Success BlueprintSM
    Marketing with Unbelievable Guarantees!SM
    Marketing design, coaching, mentoring, and public speaking
    Get a free e-course of each of these 88 expanded, if you are not already subscribed, or
    to subscribe to my regular Marketing Tips Newsletter for small and medium-sized
    businesses, go to Marketing Success Blueprint — Scientific Marketing Success To Grow Your Business As Quickly As You Can Manage!. You’ll be glad you did!
    PLEASE NOTE: You are free to distribute this article as is providing it is unchanged, that no charge
    is made for it, and that it is not included in a package or site for which any charge is made.
    Copyright 2002--2009, Paul Elliott
    &#169; 2002— 2009, Paul Elliott, All rights reserved worldwide Page 5 of 5

Santa Rosa California Home Inspection - Exterminating & Thermal Imaging

Best

Ron

Last edited by Ron Bibler; 10-06-2009 at 01:14 PM.

Jeff Roberson Guest

I'll be honest, this is not the input I was hoping for.

Thanks Ron for the 88 Marketing Tips, I appreciate it. I especially liked #5, "Shamelessly go with whatever works....As long as it's moral, ethical, and legal!" That's me!

It's not helpful for anyone to sugar coat any advise and I do want as much straight talk as possible. I will continue to research here on this site for more input, thanks for the tip.

Here's the deal though, I did not quit my job, I was laid off. I have over 15 years of mixed construction experience and consider myself to be well rounded in this market. However, I'm in a state that has one of the highest unemployment rates(13.4) and trying to find a job in the construction industry has proven to be futile. I thought it was reasonable to consider a profession in real estate inspection considering the fact that Nevada also has one of the highest number of existing, unoccupied bank owned homes in the country. With most banks requiring a home inspection prior to a loan and the despicable condition of most REO homes, it seemed sensible to pursue this career change.

I can't stay in the "woodwork" any longer and I will contact EVERY local inspector to inquire about any possible openings. Don't worry Scott, I don't plan on moving to the great state of Tennessee anytime soon(Sorry about those Titans) so you wont have to worry about a call from this "folk".

Hey Danny, sarcasm aside, great idea on the golfing tip. I'll settle for two inspections a day with a tee time in the afternoon. Best advise yet!

It's been interesting, keep the advise and "whatever" coming, I look forward to it.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roberson View Post
    Hey Danny, sarcasm aside, great idea on the golfing tip. I'll settle for two inspections a day with a tee time in the afternoon. Best advise yet!
    Jeff
    If you have two inspections per day and do a decent job, you won't have time for that afternoon game of golf. Two per day for me means burning the midnight oil to get the reports out.
    Leave @ 7AM, drive an hour, inspect 2-3 hours, drive another hour, inspect 2-3 hours, drive another hour home, write the first 2 hour report, write the second 2 hour report. That's an 11-13 hour day with no breaks for lunch, supper, etc. Oh yeah, don't forget to do the bank deposit, pay the bills, do the taxes, do marketing, clean the truck, continuing ed, during the "down time". Man we inspectors have it made!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Yeah as a Home Inspector, I feel like all I do is deal with the negative aspects of a home and kill everyones dreams of homeownership. The bad guy I get called all the time.

Makes you wonder why anyone wants to jump into this line of work. You have no friends other than the fellows on this board cause you have no time for a life outside of inspecting. Am I right or wrong guys?

I've applied for the messenger of Death position as giving out bad news seems to be my forte. Wonder what the pay is?

rick

David Argabright Guest

As much as I hate to admit it I've got to give a big "AMEN" to Jim amd Rick's comments. These days I'm too busy making a living to make a life.

It's deer bow season and I can't take time to head to the woods for an evening hunt. Forget family time except for a quick late dinner before cranking out another report.

I've had to turn down inspections and refer them to others. When the phone rings I even find myself hoping that someone is calling to cancel so I can try to catch up. That's why I'm here this morning.

And now it's raining. GREAT.....Rain gear and slipping off roofs again. Tracking grass and mud into the house.

Then come the slow times when I have friends call me just to be sure my phone is still working.

And with everyting else that's going on, here I am wasting time chating with you guys instead of doing something useful. Have to go....... must catch up....must catch up....must catch up.....

Anyway JEFF. Good luck to you. Study, work dilligently, be honest, market, develop a client referral base, and take all the advice you can from those that have been there before you. Hope that someday you are hoping that the person on the other end of the phone is calling to cancel an inspection.

Ted Menelly Guest

Hello Everyone!
    I was hoping for anyone's advise or tips on starting my new Home Inspector's business. I've completed all my training and I am just waiting for my background check to come back so I can finalize my license.
    I'm very excited to get started and I have no time to waste.
    I was hoping to get input from other inspectors who have established businesses and who would not mind offering a few suggestions on how to get started.
    I have done my fair share of research and have several ideas of my own, however I am certain that input from other professional's will be the most valuable information I can get.
    Thanks in advance for all of your input.
    Regards,
    Jeff Roberson
    This is about as simple as it gets

You will be working for yourself. You are totally responsible for yourself. You will be doing all the marketing, quoting, getting future referrals, collecting money, balancing your account, buying business insurance, replacing laptops when you dump a cup of coffee over it, the working late and on weekends, the no working late and working on weekends, cell phones, scheduling, office equipment and supplies, vehicle maintenance and repair, signage, etc etc etc etc etc

Sometimes you will be to busy. Sometimes you will have no business. Your fellow inspectors doing what ever they can to keep you from getting the work. Dealing with the relentless price shoppers.

To cut this short, and I could go on all day, you are not just waking up every day, taking your shower, getting dressed and going to work that someone else already did all the work to get and then come home and do as you wish.

That might sound like I hate my job but I will be honest with you.....I love my job probably more than anyone you ever met that loves their job.

I am just telling you that it is not a care free job. It may be, the actual work, the easiest job you ever did in your life. Some find this to be a difficult job. Myself, I laugh at that everyday. This is not a tough job even in the slightest degree. It is tough to make sure you have and keep a job as in working all the time. The actual get there and perform a home inspection...seriously...in that aspect, if you do it right, you will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Now, if you have a partner in life that can handle some of all the bull you have to go thru to keep working then your will be walking around with a stupid s**t eating grin on your face while you are working and inspecting.

As far as the others go about doing reports all night.....That is their preference. I try to arrange it for all my clients to come at the end of the inspection so I can inspect and report as I go so when I am done I am done. A very large percentage of inspections I can complete the report on sight. It depends on your area. If I was still in Mass instead of Texas I would be doing most of my report at the house. ere in Texas a very large amount of homes I do are very new and a slab, no basements and very few crawls. The rest of the reports that I do not finish on sight just need details and pictures added but certainly not the entire report. I will not liver my life just for a job and remove all chance of having a home life because I inspect all day and do reports all night. I would rather be hanging with family and or friends or just watching some tube.

To rap it up

Getting and keeping yourself in work is a bitch.

Doing the actual inspecting and report (in most cases) will be the best job you ever had. If you could be so lucky to get to the point of 8 inspection a week even if they are just tiny homes at your minimum price you can make more money than most folks you know.

You do not want to do 10 to 12 a week. Sure the money is good but you will be dying a slow death (not kidding about that)

I would love 8 every week (does not happen throughout the year) This week would have been my best week in the past year at ten but that got cut down to 6 by the time paper work was not ready or deals fell thru or they had to get a little more documentation to the lender, blah blah blah rescheduling or cancellation for one reason or another. I will more than likely get 3 of those 4 lost jobs back. That is all the work I hate. But I do love my job.

Jeff Knight Guest

Jeff,
    Being involved in this market for almost 12 years now I have come up with these 5 tips if any inspector asks me how to be successful in the home inspection market...and they are in the order of importance.

1) Be able to communicate well - If you cannot communicate your findings to the client or communicate with agents in a professional and easily understandable way then it will be tough to be successful...this includes being a good listener.

2) Know your stuff - This means going to a good school to begin with and to ALWAYS continue with continuing education. If you are lacking in certain areas then make it so you are not.

3) Have good business sense - This means making good business decisions when it comes to where and when to spend your money and how to handle the bumps that every business goes over.

4) Be open for change - This is somewhat related to #3 above but if you are not open for change then you should expect your business to be short-lived.

5) Keep up with technology - Is related to #4 above also. If you are still using a handwritten paper checksheet with carbon copy sheets and you still have a DOS machine at home this means you are not keeping up with technology :-)

p.s. Do not let Jim L. scare you on the 4 hours every night to create the reports. You do NOT need to spend that much time depending upon how you do the inspection and create your report from that.

Jeff Roberson Guest

Sorry Jim, I was being facetious about Danny's sarcasm. I do love golf but I am also very familiar with long work hours and piles of paperwork. I'm used to not having a life and seeing my friends at the local sports book only a couple of times a month. The one thing I am not used to, and promised myself I will work hard at to change, is working my butt off for someone else only to be kicked to the side when times get tough. Hard work, long hours and no life is in my blood.

I've done close to 20 inspections, under an instructor's supervision, to satisfy my state requirements to obtain my license and I think I have a decent understanding of the time involved and the ups and downs of the industry. Sure, I know I'll deal with a lot more "reality checks" and I realize I'll have bigger head aches then I anticipated, but that's the nature of the beast, right?

You crack my up, Rick(aka Bad Guy or Messenger of Death) Is being the "bearer of bad news" that damaging to a man's ego?? I hear it's more of a dance. Make sure you report all the necessary and obvious "issues" with a house and don't get hung up on all the little "quick fixes" that seem to just annoy the real estate agent or investor who hired you. Plus, "quick fixes" are not listed on my summary report and are just pointed out during the inspection. I get it, I've dealt with all kinds of professionals and clients in the past who seem to have nothing better to do but make my life difficult. I've come to terms with it. And as much and I despise this cliche, "it is what it is!"

David, I miss hunting. I lived in Pleasantville, AR(pop. 19,000) for a couple of years as a cattle farmer and loved the country. Hunted mostly small game though, I only had an .22 Winchester. What a blast it was! Now I'm back in the city and the only fire arm I use these days is my Beretta M9, for home protection. Thanks for the best wishes. I think my most difficult challenge, and biggest expense will be marketing. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the great advise, Ted. I agree, I want to be able to inspect, report and go. Here in Las Vegas, during this unique period in real estate, most of the homes I'll be inspecting are vacant. Some are going through a "short sale" and others have been listed for months. So far I have seen a decent cross section of what to expect. Here we have mostly track housing outside of downtown Las Vegas that average around 2,400 SF. These houses seem to average 1-3 hours for a thorough inspection. Then there are thousands of vacant mid and high rise condos that were built and never sold because of the suffering real estate market and because of the economy in general. I've met a few guys who are doing condos exclusively and sometimes find themselves spending less than an hour for the inspection. I feel like I'm in a promising market with plenty of opportunity, I'm just waiting for my back ground check to come back so I can finalize my license. Thanks again for the heads up on what to expect from the always changing work schedule.

Thanks for the "5 tips", Jeff. Good stuff! Do you inspect with a PDA or Pocket PC? I've seen battery operated printers, Hand held computers and several great programs that help stream line the inspection. What's your process?

Thanks again everyone, great information and insight!

Jeff

Jeff,
    Call me 361.230.2312 I was in the same boat 1 month ago. Lets share ideas. Sorry I'm done with this damm computer today, Just finished two reports & can't bare to look at the screen anymore.

Jeff Knight Guest

Thanks for the "5 tips", Jeff. Good stuff! Do you inspect with a PDA or Pocket PC? I've seen battery operated printers, Hand held computers and several great programs that help stream line the inspection. What's your process?

Jeff
    Most of our inspector clients use a PocketPC device but there are a few that use a laptop or tablet device. They use our software as they walk around during the inspection and collect their findings as they go. They can then print right on sight to a portable printer or export it to a Word document with all their findings to avoid the rekeying of data back at the office.