Default Look at this photo. Are pan drain line and TPR drain line allowed?

Look at this photo. Are pan drain line and TPR drain line allowed to be connected together like in this photo ?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Look at this photo. Are pan drain line and TPR drain line allowed?

"Are pan drain line and TPR drain line allowed to be connected together .."

No

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Nope, the TPR line needs to be independent. Also needs to go to a visible location, if that is not doing so.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    Look at this photo. Are pan drain line and TPR drain line allowed to be connected together like in this photo ?
    GS: No, and no AHJs in the D/FW area will allow it, to my knowledge.

No, it is not allowed as others have already said, but that installation is very common for homes in the area that are over 10-15 years old. I see them all the time and must confess I never worry too much about it. The check valve in theory should stop or slow the blow back into the pan if the TPR trips.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I am just curious but where does it state this type of connection should not exist ? In IRC 2803.6.1 it reads."..the discharge shall be piped full size separately to the floor..."... I guess the key word is separately, so I guess that is where it is stated ? Everyone on here is smarter than me. I am just wondering. Or maybe it is the plumbing codes which I do not have a copy of.....Anyway...

Thanks

Gene

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    I am just curious but where does it state this type of connection should not exist ? In IRC 2803.6.1 it reads."..the discharge shall be piped full size separately to the floor..."... I guess the key word is separately, so I guess that is where it is stated ? Everyone on here is smarter than me. I am just wondering. Or maybe it is the plumbing codes which I do not have a copy of.....Anyway...

Thanks

Gene
    GS: The key term is "separately".

Believe me, everyone on this forum is not smarter than you. A few examples come to mind: TM, RB, ML, . . . it is a very long list.

Thanks.

Gene

Richard Stanley Guest

"Everyone on here is smarter than me."

That is only your imagination...

How long has it been wrong to plumb it 'uphill'?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    We know why you fly: because the bus is too expensive and the railroad has a dress code...
    www.atozinspector.com

imported_John Smith Guest

Howdy Gene,

I think it was an aggie install.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gault View Post
    How long has it been wrong to plumb it 'uphill'?
    Since before the IRC came into being, but I can't give you a date.
    I have been doing inspections since 1995 and it was already established as wrong long before that.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Since before the IRC came into being, but I can't give you a date.
    I have been doing inspections since 1995 and it was already established as wrong long before that.
    JL: It has been wrong since Watts began manufacturing combination TPR valves.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    JL: It has been wrong since Watts began manufacturing combination TPR valves.
    When was that AD? I would say something smart connected with age... but I won't, I had a late report writing night and the smart azz cells have not come to life yet.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    When was that AD? I would say something smart connected with age... but I won't, I had a late report writing night and the smart azz cells have not come to life yet.
    JL: The short version: the late 1920s. The long version:

Watts Industries, Inc. -- Company History