Default Re: direct wire an oven

yes can direct wire to a junction box. You mean an electric stove right?

Stove tops and ovens are usually hard wired.
    Free standing ranges are usually cord and receptacle connected.

How about an air compressor?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Yes, ranges and stove tops can be direct wired, as can dishwashers, etc., however (I did not see this addressed in the posts above) there is no cord and plug which means there is no disconnect, which mean the permanently wired appliance now requires a disconnect - either near the appliance or have a locking device at the breaker which allows for the breaker to be locked off.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

If a panel cover can be locked does that count as being able to lock off a breaker?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Mohel View Post
    If a panel cover can be locked does that count as being able to lock off a breaker?
    No.

The individual breaker itself is required to have a lockout device installed on it, a device which is required to remain in place with, or without, a lock installed.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    No.

The individual breaker itself is required to have a lockout device installed on it, a device which is required to remain in place with, or without, a lock installed.
    Unless the range is within site of the panel. This is the case in a lot of apartments and condos

Joe Tedesco Guest

Smile Re: direct wire an oven

I will add that a cord-and-plug-connected appliance using a separable connector or an attachment plug and receptacle is permitted to serve as the disconnecting means as long as it is accessible.

For the connection at the rear base of a household electric range that is cord and-plug-connected, an attachment plug and receptacle connection at the rear base of a range, when it is accessible from the front by "removal of a
    drawer", will meet this requirement too.

The rating of the receptacle or of a separable connector cannot be less than the rating of any appliance connected thereto.

Be sure to apply the 2008 NEC Table 210.21(B)(3) for receptacle ratings for various size circuits

Quote Originally Posted by ken horak View Post
    Unless the range is within site of the panel. This is the case in a lot of apartments and condos
    Ken,

In which case it would not need to be locked at all. Unless ... the panel was around the end wall from the range and not "straight line sight" - as many were installed in apartments and condos where the end of the kitchen counter had a full height wall, with the panel in it on the other side or in the wall opposite it. Yes, may apartments and condos have a small "eat-in" kitchen with the panel in the wall where the table was to go (which, of course, was a code violation in and of itself ).

The question was about locking the entire cover instead of a single breaker.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry-
    My post was an addition to your 2 post's stating a locking device was needed on the circuit breaker.Nothing to do with the cover being lockable.

Quote Originally Posted by ken horak View Post
    Jerry-
    My post was an addition to your 2 post's stating a locking device was needed on the circuit breaker.Nothing to do with the cover being lockable.
    Oh ... oops.

I was just going based on the one you quoted and referred to.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ian Currie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    How about an air compressor?
    John, although your question may have been rhetorical, it brings up a good point.

In my neck of the woods (I presume throughout all of North America as well) it is not permitted to cut a plug off the end of any electrical component so the component can be hardwired to the electrical system. You see that done here quite often with 240 volt construction heaters.

So my question is, was the range designed to be hardwired or did someone cut the plug off so that it could be hardwired? If it was the latter, then the installation is not code compliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Currie View Post
    In my neck of the woods (I presume throughout all of North America as well) it is not permitted to cut a plug off the end of any electrical component so the component can be hardwired to the electrical system.
    That is not allowed by the NEC either.

So my question is, was the range designed to be hardwired or did someone cut the plug off so that it could be hardwired? If it was the latter, then the installation is not code compliant.
    Most ranges are designed to be installed either way, with a cord and plug or permanently wired. Which, of course, does not mean using a cord and cutting the plug off the end of it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com