Thread: GFCI Locations

Clay White Guest

Default GFCI Locations

The cooktop kitchen counter is located facing the living room. Sink is located on the exterior wall side of the house.

Question: Is the outlet on the opposite side of the cooktop kitchen wall required to be GFCI protected. If the sink was installed where the cooktop is , then I'd say yes. But since it is a cooktop and not a sink, I'm thinking no , the outlet does not need to be GFCI. Or am I wrong?

New construction home.

Clay

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: GFCI Locations

Is this receptacle meant to serve the countertop area?

Clay, this has been discussed at length here before. So a search for the entire thread but basically the sink location has nothing to do with the requirement.
    ALL Kitchen outlets serving the counter-tops are required to be GFCI. If the outlet in the other room is mounted down low and not serving the counter-top, then no requirement to be GFCI.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Clay
    The kitchen sink has nothing to do with placement requirments of GFCI outlets.
    The requirement is (2006 IRC); there must be a GFCI protected outlet within 24" at any point along the counter top (execption; when the countertop is less than 12" long an outlet is not required).
    So if the outlet is more than 24" from the countertop then it is not considerded to be an outlet that serves the countertop. Since it does not serve the countertop then it is not required to be GFCI protected.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay White View Post
    If the sink was installed where the cooktop is , then I'd say yes. But since it is a cooktop and not a sink, I'm thinking no , the outlet does not need to be GFCI. Or am I wrong?
    Clay,

Sounds like you are thinking of the old - real old - 'within 6 feet of the kitchen sink' rule for GFCI protection in kitchens.

Forget you ever heard about that rule.

Now, look at the countertops and the receptacles which serve the countertops ... all receptacles which serve the countertops require GFCI - regardless how far from the kitchen sink.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com