Thread: Flooring jacks

Stephen G Sheldon Guest

Default Flooring jacks

Inspected a crawl space where two floor jacks were being used to support the beam above. They were resting on concrete pads but were not embedded in the concrete nor fastened to it in any way. Is this ok or should they be embedded in the concrete?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Flooring jacks

Temporary screw jacks are just what they are listed as. Recommend solid supports.
    They are however very good, temporarily!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen G Sheldon View Post
    Inspected a crawl space where two floor jacks were being used to support the beam above. They were resting on concrete pads but were not embedded in the concrete nor fastened to it in any way. Is this ok or should they be embedded in the concrete?
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Temporary screw jacks are just what they are listed as. Recommend solid supports.
    They are however very good, temporarily!!
    As Wayne ( aka The Donkey) said they are not made for Permanent Installation.

That said they still need attached ( 4 holes in bottom plate ) to the pads.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

daniel nantell Guest

It would probably need a se to determine if these are actually needed or just additional support. I have these supports in my basement and they are doing just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel nantell View Post
    It would probably need a se to determine if these are actually needed or just additional support. I have these supports in my basement and they are doing just fine.
    Said the crooked man who lived in the crooked house.

I find those on I would say about 15%-20% of the homes I inspect. As others have said they are a temporary house jack. Many times they are used to stiffen or take the vibration out of the floor in a certain area of the home. They are really not adding structural support when used like that.

I don't have a problem with them when they are used to stiffen a section of the floor. But if they are used to support a joist or beam then they need to be replaced with a more permanent support.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

AL Mullis Guest

Hello Everyone, this is my first time posting Besides the Temporary screw jacks shouldn't there also be some kind of vapor barrier layed over the grading? ALM

Quote Originally Posted by AL Mullis View Post
    Hello Everyone, this is my first time posting Besides the Temporary screw jacks shouldn't there also be some kind of vapor barrier layed over the grading? ALM
    Yes, and while you're at it. That termite bait around the footings should be removed also. I wonder how deep those are?
    Did you happen to stick a broker prod down there and test for depth.