David McGuire Guest

Michael Greenwalt Guest

Default Re: Official Kansas Regulations

These Standards have been a work in progress for most of the year. While we have put a lot of thought into these Standards we (or I anyway) admit they are not perfect. In order for us to have a "Stamp of Approval" as it were we would like to have input from Kansas Inspectors. As well, there is a public meeting on these Standards in Topeka on the 5th of November where it would be great to hear from Kansas inspectors to know get thier input on the Standards.

Please keep in mind that merely complaining about the Standards is a method, it does not help to make them better. Please help us, help you. Read the Standards, review, think........bring good ideas to the table.

Thanks,
    Michael Greenwalt, Member Kansas SOP committee

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Greenwalt View Post
    These Standards have been a work in progress for most of the year. While we have put a lot of thought into these Standards we (or I anyway) admit they are not perfect. In order for us to have a "Stamp of Approval" as it were we would like to have input from Kansas Inspectors. As well, there is a public meeting on these Standards in Topeka on the 5th of November where it would be great to hear from Kansas inspectors to know get thier input on the Standards.

Please keep in mind that merely complaining about the Standards is a method, it does not help to make them better. Please help us, help you. Read the Standards, review, think........bring good ideas to the table.

Thanks,
    Michael Greenwalt, Member Kansas SOP committee
    I don't really have a dog in this hunt, but I have worked under a home inspection license since 2001 and I hold a license in two states. I'm constantly amazed at how folks always want to try an reinvent the wheel, so to speak. We have several good home inspection laws with some pretty good SOP's across this country. Why not take one or two or even three of those SOP's and morph them into one for your State.

The following States (in no specific order) have fairly good SOP's, IMHO:
    Washington
    Louisiana
    Mississippi
    Arizona
    Indiana
    Illinois
    Arkansas
    Wisconsin
    and even Tennessee

Take out any association bias and make it a neutral SOP. Heck, even ASHI will allow you to use their SOP and remove all references to ASHI in it so you will have a proven and neutral SOP for state license use.

Truth be known, all of the SOP's that home inspectors work under are vastly out of date and in need of work. They do not reflect what a home inspector is doing in the field on a daily basis.
    Home inspectors are faced with all types of new technology that were only a dream just a few years ago. Our clients expectations are growing as fast as our profession is changing.

Our profession has changed so much just over the past five years and it is really a forever evolving profession. I know of only one organization that has ever performed a study of the profession to identify what a home inspection is and what a home inspector does, it is called a role delineation study or RDS. The sad thing is that this organization does not have any members or an SOP! Actually they have done three RDS's over the past ten years. Any guesses as to who it is?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

David McGuire Guest

Michael I am not complaining about the SOP. It was simply questioned by many here when Kansas would have the regs in place and I stated that I would post a link when I got it. I got the link yesterday and posted it. My only complaint is that when I made calls to Topeka and other places about these reg's and articles that few if anyone knew what I was talking about, even fewer knew where to direct my questions. Even had problems with my own state rep on this. In the end it was a reporter that gave me the link to the page. A reporter of all people.

Like Scott said, there is good and bad with these SOP's, just as there are in other states. I am sure over time the board will iron out many of the wrinkles with this. While the Legislature wrote the law, they did not leave you with many guidelines or suggestions to implement the law. But what is new about that?

Where will the meeting November 5th take place and at what time. On the boards webpage it does not list any of this.