phil kaznowski Guest

Default Double wired circuit

I inspected a panel with one circuit that was double wired and not rated for that configuration. Went back to look at the panel and the electrician removed one of the wires and added a quick connect, is that an acceptable metod or should there have been a new breaker installed?

Phil K.
    Clio, CA

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Double wired circuit

Phil,

By "quick connect" you mean wire nuts or similar?

Yes, the easy and proper way to correct multiple tapping is to use properly sized wire nuts, add a single new conductor to the others, install the wire nut, then connect the single new conductor to the breaker.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

phil kaznowski Guest

It was one of those clear devices (insert three conductors) rated for 10awg and smaller.

Mitchell Toelle Guest

Unless that connector is rated for use in a dwelling, on AC, it would not be a proper connection. As Jerry said, "properly sized wire nut".

There is NO requirement that a splice be made with a wire nut. There are push-in type connectors UL listed for splicing and if that is what was used it is perfectly legal. Most of these have a colored plastic piece that is color coded for the number of wires it is designed for and a clear plastic body.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kriegh View Post
    There is NO requirement that a splice be made with a wire nut. There are push-in type connectors UL listed for splicing and if that is what was used it is perfectly legal. Most of these have a colored plastic piece that is color coded for the number of wires it is designed for and a clear plastic body.
    EXACTLY.

Bruce Thomas Guest

We call those bucannon connectors. They are copper sleeves the fit over the wires and are then crimped with a 3 jaw tool and the cap installed.

Remember, when fixing a double tap you can't exceed 80% of the circuit capacity.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
    We call those bucannon connectors. They are copper sleeves the fit over the wires and are then crimped with a 3 jaw tool and the cap installed.
    Actually what I think is being described is more a Wago type connector.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
    Remember, when fixing a double tap you can't exceed 80% of the circuit capacity.
    Can you explain what you mean by this?

Which is why I stated (bold red text is mine for highlighting):

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    By "quick connect" you mean wire nuts or similar?
    "Wire nuts" are the most common and mos often used method of connecting wires together, however, as stated above, there is no requirement to only use "wire nuts". I should have said "wire connectors" and added "such as wire nuts".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Toelle View Post
    Unless that connector is rated for use in a dwelling, on AC, it would not be a proper connection. As Jerry said, "properly sized wire nut".
    The only restrictions I have seen on wire connectors is based on materials it is to be used with, solid or solid and stranded, voltage and temperature ratings.

I am curious to know how the connector would function any differently in a residence than commercial.

Stacey Van Houtan Guest

The answers so far are correct mabe. I assume you are talking about what we call a double tap ( yes I know double tap is not in the NEC- Peck) Many times the reason for a double tap is becuase of added fixtures to that branch circut. So the adding of a Pigtail ( also not in the NEC but as we in cowtown do call it) May be acceptable but without knowing what is on the circut you only have half of the answer.