Jerome W. Young Guest

Default rusted service entry pipe

I dont see below the grade very often so i am not real familiar with what happens to the underground feeders once the service pipe disappears into the grade. Shouldnt the service cables be protected by the service pipe all the way to the street? or at least into the grade?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: rusted service entry pipe

At least down to 18" below grade if direct bury cable is used, like URD.

From what I can tell from the pic that definitely should be replaced. I bet the whole service is in sad shape.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

You might find this article helpful when inspecting service laterals, the difference between conductors that are part of the service (line side of the service equipment), feeders and branch circuits (load side of the service equipment) {sic from the article} and protection from physical damage requirements.

Electrical Services — Part 2 | Understanding requirements for service entrance conductors and service equipment

Jerome,

It is all too common to find metal conduits (for any use, but especially for service laterals) to be rusted off at grade level. Almost every one I would see was rusted off, even the house we bought up here was rusted off - I took the $$$ credit and had it replaced with Schedule 80 PVC.

As Peter said, the conduit, which serves as protection from physical damage, is required to extend down at least 18", it also must extend up at least 8' high above grade or to the first enclosure if less than 8' high.

Depending on the conductors themselves, they may be in conduit all the way to the transformer, or they may only be in conduit down to at least 18", and possibly even down further to, and including, the 90 degree ell which turns horizontal underground from the vertical riser.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerome W. Young Guest

Thanks!
    Jerry what did that cost roughly?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W. Young View Post
    Thanks!
    Jerry what did that cost roughly?

I always used to put in a cost range of $750-1,000.

Up here, as I recall, it was about $850 3-1/2 years ago. The charge for that does not seem to change too much over the years (although 10-15 years ago I was cost ranging it at $500-750, so it has gone up some).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com