John Nichols Guest

Default Need to replace Goodman ducts

I recently inspected a home with Goodman ducts. Most of the ducts were severly deteriorated and leaking badly, however, a few were still in tact.

Most A/C guys I know just replace all the ducts and move on but - my client is filing a claim with their home warranty company. The A/C company that came to evaluate the ducts told my client that only the bad ducts need to be replaced. My client has asked me to see if there is any documentation or web sites from the government, manufacturer, etc. that contain information they can use to show that this type of duct is know to be defective so that they can push to get all the ducts replaced.

Does anyone have or know where this info can be found?

Thanks

John

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Need to replace Goodman ducts

Quote Originally Posted by John Nichols View Post
    I recently inspected a home with Goodman ducts. Most of the ducts were severly deteriorated and leaking badly, however, a few were still in tact.

Most A/C guys I know just replace all the ducts and move on but - my client is filing a claim with their home warranty company. The A/C company that came to evaluate the ducts told my client that only the bad ducts need to be replaced. My client has asked me to see if there is any documentation or web sites from the government, manufacturer, etc. that contain information they can use to show that this type of duct is know to be defective so that they can push to get all the ducts replaced.

Does anyone have or know where this info can be found?

Thanks

John
    John,

I checked the US consumer Product Safety site with No Results on Supply Vents .

There is one on the Goodman Mfg. Plastic Gas Exhaust Vent.

They Have a Home Warranty Company that is actually Going to Pay for Something ?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

John,

To my knowledge there was never a recall for those defective ducts as there was never a hazard associated with them which would cause injuries.

Goodman and Owlflex are just two of the brands which manufactured the original gray outer covering plastic which deteriorated when exposed to sunlight, even when exposed to sunlight during installation the deterioration started and kept deteriorating, compound that with sunlight (UV) which entered attics due to vents and they were just plain bad news.

That said, like Billy, I am surprised to see a home warranty company paying for the replacement of the those ducts. I would recommend my client jump on it and replace the rest of the ducts at the same time - on their own dime.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Goodman Gray Flex Duct Deterioration & Failures in Air Conditioning or Heating Duct Products - Duct System Defects

has some information

And this thread is where we discussed this in the past
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ct-defect.html

Here is something from a past thread here.

Jim,
    This duct has not been sold since the early nineties and as such is
    long since past the warranty period. There is not an ongoing program to
    replace the material.

Thank you

Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2008 10:36 PM
    To: QuietFlex :: Flexible Duct for the HVAC Industry <QuietFlex :: Flexible Duct for the HVAC Industry>
    Subject: Goodman Quiet flex duct defect

Gentlemen, Can you tell me if there is any ongoing replacement or
    allowance for defective Quietflex duct? This is the gray jacketed duct that disintegrates in attics from UV exposure.
    See pictures attached. This is original duct from a house built in
    1987 in Plano, TX.
    Thank you for your time.

Jim Luttrall - TREC Lic. #3779
    Mr. Inspector.net, Inc.
    214-383-0519
    Mr. Inspector.Net - Mr Inspector - Allen Texas - Allen

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

This one from yesterday. Can anyone tell me what this is. Didn't have the gray plastic cover, but silver like coating that just went away!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    This one from yesterday. Can anyone tell me what this is. Didn't have the gray plastic cover, but silver like coating that just went away!
    Don't know but....... That AAV in the picture is in the wrong place and it also looks like it is on a sanitary line and that is a No No . It needs to be above the Wye at the fixture and not on the line.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Don't know but....... That AAV in the picture is in the wrong place and it also looks like it is on a sanitary line and that is a No No . It needs to be above the Wye at the fixture and not on the line.
    Scott, appreciated the catch but I have been wondering, what should be or can be said to a customer when you don't think there will enough ink in your PC to write the report? I personally think of it as a "D-9 scrape". Start a Caterpillar D-9 dozer at one end, proceed to the far end and repeat until nothing impedes view of the lot.

Scott, appreciated the catch but I have been wondering, what should be or can be said to a customer when you don't think there will enough ink in your PC to write the report? I personally think of it as a "D-9 scrape". Start a Caterpillar D-9 dozer at one end, proceed to the far end and repeat until nothing impedes view of the lot.
    Good point! I have been at this gig full time since 1995. I can honestly say that over the past 18 months I have had more POS homes than I have had over the past 10 years! Sad thing is that most of those are not the Repo or REO homes!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Good point! I have been at this gig full time since 1995. I can honestly say that over the past 18 months I have had more POS homes than I have had over the past 10 years! Sad thing is that most of those are not the Repo or REO homes!
    1945 out in the country, with add-on afer add-on. The only permits were issued to friends all others were met by the dogs!

Vern,

In cases like yours, I say something like this at the very beginning of the report. It is bolded and placed in the "summary" section of the report as well.

"This home is in general disrepair. Deferred maintenance and nonstandard construction techniques have contributed to the many improper and unsafe conditions noted in this report. Be advised that other, previously undiscovered and undisclosed conditions are likely to be found during the course of corrections. Repairs are likely to be costly."

This basically lets them know that the home is fubar.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Vern,

In cases like yours, I say something like this at the very beginning of the report. It is bolded and placed in the "summary" section of the report as well.

"This home is in general disrepair. Deferred maintenance and nonstandard construction techniques have contributed to the many improper and unsafe conditions noted in this report. Be advised that other, previously undiscovered and undisclosed conditions are likely to be found during the course of corrections. Repairs are likely to be costly."

This basically lets them know that the home is fubar.

Thanks Gunnar, mind if I use that?