Thread: CSST

mathew stouffer Guest

Default CSST

This place was built in 1983. The return system was beyond a mess and the listing agent is arguing all the units are like this. I laughed. There is galvanized steel gas piping and CSST in the return. I told them CSST was around in 1983 and this return air duct has been altered based on its presence. So when was CSST first used. Plus i thought everyone would get a kick out of the pics.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: CSST

I would tell them that it does not matter what the listing agent says, but that all concealed spaces need to be fireblocked at the floor and the ceiling, and that return air plenums like that are only allowed to carry air for one floor, and that return air plenum is open to the lower floor, through the ceiling/floor system, to the upper floor, and that fires and bad things happen in those spaces without regard to when they were constructed or time. I would then tell them that "time" is not a safety device, and that just because "nothing has happened *yet*" does not mean "nothing will happen". Then I add that, in fact "time" is has just the opposite effect of being a safety device, that "time" is running out and "something happening" is just getting closer to happening.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Thanks

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

The first photo on the lower right exposed yellow coated doesn't look like CSST looks like a flexible Stainless Steel gas connector with brass nut and a yellow coating. Such as this: Gas Connectors
    Doesn't belong in concealed spaces and doesn't appear to be in that photo. The light fixture shouldn't be there open to the return air.

The gas pipe in the space in the 2nd and 3rd photo looks like black gas pipe not galvanized steel pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    The first photo on the lower right exposed yellow coated doesn't look like CSST looks like a flexible Stainless Steel gas connector with brass nut and a yellow coating. Such as this: Gas Connectors
    To me, that looks like CSST in the first photo, not in a concealed space but next to the equipment resting on a floor with floor covering.

Mat,

That return is going to be sucking air up through and around that recessed light fixture so much that it likely reduces the effectiveness of the return air plenum.

As you said "The return system was beyond a mess ... ", so I would call in a licensed and competent HVAC contractor knowledgeable in return air plenums and have them "make all necessary corrections, including, but not limited to: (and then list as many items as you have)". That HVAC contractor will then call for the other necessary professionals (electrician, etc.) to get the work done properly - which is not going to be an easy task.

And when the agent says "All the other units are like this." that HVAC contractor then has the opportunity to say 'Guess I'd better let the building department know, so ALL OF THE OTHERS CAN BE CORRECTED TOO.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Doesn't belong in concealed spaces and doesn't appear to be in that photo. The light fixture shouldn't be there open to the return air.

The gas pipe in the space in the 2nd and 3rd photo looks like black gas pipe not galvanized steel pipe.

The first picture, lower right, is CSST. It has a plastic sheathing that has been trimmed back (too far too). The yellow appliance connector types have a yellow finish that is painted or powder coated.

Bruce King, B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
    www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
    Certified Master Inspector, Independent Inspectorwww.IndependentInspectors.org