Question Valley rafter gusset

Here is a picture of a valley rafter with an OSB gusset. Is a gusset acceptable in this area and if so, is OSB appropriate for this application or should the gusset be made of plywood?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    Greg Jenkins

Cool Re: Valley rafter gusset

No like! However, if they had installed a 2X support post under the valley rafter joint along with a gusset plate, I'd have bought that.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Default Re: Valley rafter gusset

How do you post a new message on here?

Greg,
    That gusset you're looking at is commonly referred to as a scab. The rafter has been spliced. If it's going to be there, it should have scabs on both sides and a brace to bearing beneath, as close to the splice as possible. The scabs should extend minimum 2 feet beyond the splice on both sides of the splice.

I do not find the method discussed in IRC. Someone else might. However, I have seen it in the former Texas windstorm code and I have seen it employed in many municipalities. I've seen the technique used in engineered framing. I write it up when any of the components I mentioned are missing. Otherwise, I note the number and locations of the splices and whether or not I see any visible evidence of failure as a result.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mount View Post
    How do you post a new message on here?

Ummmm ... Tony ... just like you did.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jpvedane View Post
    What if the spliced valley rafter is right above a stairwell, where it is impossible to install a post?

You could install a properly sized and braced beam over/across the stairwell to sit your post on.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

LEAVE THE DEAD THREADS ALONE.2007 thread got hit by future spammer from China - they love to pick old threads with 1,000+ viewings.Let it rest in peace (and remember to check dates as you read threads).