Default Stove's power cord trns through cabinet behind dishwasher

Don't have a picture of the whole kitchen, but the arrangement is

refrigerator-dishwasher-stove

with the dishwasher below a length of countertop "sort of" supported on a wall ledger and partial "end panels".

Putting aside the dishwasher's plumbing and wiring (a separate can of worms)...

And putting aside the fact that a power strip is needed allow the stove's cord to reach a counter outlet...

Is there a prohibition against running the stove's power cord behind the dishwasher, given that it does not pass through any panel in transit?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Stove's power cord trns through cabinet behind dishwasher

Michael, prohibition ended December 5, 1933 one of the best things ever done by Congerss if not the only good thing. I don't think there is a problem with the power cord going behind an other appliance as long as it is installed according to the NEC or local codes. Check them out.

Default Re: Stove's power cord runs through cabinet behind dishwasher

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McKay View Post
    I don't think there is a problem with the power cord going behind an other appliance as long as it is installed according to the NEC or local codes.
    Thomas,

Are you saying that cord and plug receptacle strip is suitable and acceptable installed there?

Hope not.

If not, then not sure what you are saying????

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Are you saying that cord and plug receptacle strip is suitable and acceptable installed there.... hope not... If not, then not sure what you are saying????

The strip is wrong, of course - it's there to try to solve another problem, which is that there is no receptacle within reach of the stove's power cord, which is the result of another problem, that counter outlets are missing at a number of required locations, which is one of many other problems in this house resulting from yet another problem, which is that the cognitive ability of the of the people who remodeled it, measured in IQ points, appears to be some small fraction of the length of the longest counter they installed. measured in inches.

And while I'm sitting here writing up their various accomplishments while I wait to catch my wife's cold - I find that my mind is wandering to such idle questions as:

"Would it be acceptable for that cord to run behind the dishwasher if it was within reach of a receptacle?"

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 10-12-2009 at 10:38 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

I thaught from Michaels post it was obvious the extension cord was unacceptable needs a dedicated outlet. As far as the power cord going behind an other appliance that seem fine as long as it is permitted under your local codes. As with all major renovations where a permit was pulled they also would need to provide GFCI protection for all kitchen counter outlets bring them up to present standards. That would not apply to the dedicated outlets under or behind the counters/cabinets used for a referigerator, dishwasher or range.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Is there a prohibition against running the stove's power cord behind the dishwasher, given that it does not pass through any panel in transit?
    Your photo and question threw me as they were unrelated (unlike married couples in Kentucky and that area ), however ...

If the receptacle for the range was installed where the dishwasher will be installed, I doubt the dishwasher will push back into place with that receptacle and cord from the range back behind it.

If there is room for the dishwasher to be properly installed (which is very unlikely in the property under question) and not in any way damage or push up against the code, and if the cord and plug is accessible without having to remove the dishwasher, then I can't think of an NEC prohibition against it. Common sense, yes - but common sense seems to be lacking in that project.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael sorry about the cold - its 91 F here, come on down. I have seen lots of these back yard nightmares where the renovations are done by unqualified unscrupulous labor and always recommend the entire project be inspected by a qualified contractor with correction to bring it up to present safe standards. Sounds like this is one of thoes cases.

Tom McKay
    Melbourne, FL

Micheal Thomas

Your stove is gas, right? And you have a 120 volt power cord to this
    stove.

It's okay to have it plug into one of the counter-top receptacles, See Below.

So can the cord for the gas stove come out from behind and plug into a
    receptacle, 210.52,(B),Small Appliances. (2) No Other Outlets; Exception No. 2 Receptacles installed to provide power for supplemental equipment and lighting on gas-fired ranges, ovens, or counter-mounted cooking units.

Text from NEC 2005 code Handbook

General a receptacle is installed behind the gas stove, it could be recess
    of surface.