Dave Gilstrap Guest

Question Oven on 20 amp breaker

I recently inspected a newer home and found the oven was connected to a 20 amp 240 volt breaker. There are # 12 wires pigtailed from the # 6 original wiring. The builder says tis was passed by the County inspector. I still called it out. Is this correct as the cooktop is gas?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: Oven on 20 amp breaker

Sounds like it could be right. Did you look at the data plate to see what the FLA'S was?

The builder can say anything he wants but that doesn't make it true. I wouldn't take his word for it even though it is possible it was passed. You don't know what the CI actually saw.
    So the top is gas and the oven is electric, am I deciphering that right? 20A would be awful low for an oven. 30-50A is more typical depending on size, etc. The original #6 would also indicate a larger original Amp installation. The pigtailed #12's coming off of the #6 wouldn't cut it for over 20A.
    The install sounds fishy. I would say NO and make them prove otherwise.
    Did you take down the rating plate info for the unit?

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

James Duffin Guest

The electric oven in my house is fed from a 2-pole 20 amp breaker with #12 wire. Not that uncommon really for a small oven.

Dave Gilstrap Guest

Thanks Marcus I was thinking like you, it did look a little fishy. That is why I suggested that they have an electrician take a look at it. I did not see a rating plate on the oven so no help there. But I do feel better about calling it out. I don't know why I second guessed myself on that. It was a full sized oven.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gilstrap View Post
    I recently inspected a newer home and found the oven was connected to a 20 amp 240 volt breaker. There are # 12 wires pigtailed from the # 6 original wiring. The builder says tis was passed by the County inspector. I still called it out. Is this correct as the cooktop is gas?

This is one key item for making the correct: "20 amp 240 volt breaker".

Another key item for making that correct would be wire connectors (i.e., wire nuts) rated for those two sizes being connected together.

As long as there is a 20 amp breaker the #12 wire is properly protected.

Then it becomes "Does the appliance still operate fully as it was designed and intended to?". If the answer is "Yes." then it is okay.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

IIRC I've come across some full-size electric convection ovens which were rated 240V 20A. With dual fuel range or separate gas cooktop a lower amp rating doesn't surprise me especially with better insulation and convection features.