Default Motion sensor-activated entry lights

On a recent inspection I noted missing exterior entry lights. An electrician who was hired to install new lights has said that in Los Angeles all outdoor entry lighting must be able to be activated by motion sensors. Though I believe motion-activated exterior lighting is a good idea, it only works when the lighting circuits are switched on. Can any of you shed light on whether or not motion-activated lighting is required by code?
    Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Motion sensor-activated entry lights

You might want to try and read Title 24. This deals with energy efficient lighting for California.

Default Re: Motion sensor-activated entry lights

Thanks, Jim. Though I did not find it under the NEC, I did not think to look under Title 24 requirements. I found my answer under 6.6 Outdoor Lighting.

Joe Tedesco Guest

Smile Re: Motion sensor-activated entry lights

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Olsson View Post
    On a recent inspection I noted missing exterior entry lights. An electrician who was hired to install new lights has said that in Los Angeles all outdoor entry lighting must be able to be activated by motion sensors. Though I believe motion-activated exterior lighting is a good idea, it only works when the lighting circuits are switched on. Can any of you shed light on whether or not motion-activated lighting is required by code?
    Thanks.
    Craig:

See the 2008 NEC Section 210.70 Lighting Outlets Required. Lighting outlets shall be installed where specified in 210.70(A), (B), and (C).

(2) Additional Locations. Additional lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with (A)(2)(a), (A)(2)(b), and (A)(2)(c).

Answer:

Exception to (A)(2)(a), (A)(2)(b), and (A)(2)(c): In hallways, in stairways, and at outdoor entrances, remote, central, or automatic control of lighting shall be permitted.

Check with the local inspectors in LA for any specific rules they may supply, I believe they have lots of handouts for customers and contractors who do work in that location.

Last edited by Joe Tedesco; 10-13-2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Spelling