Thread: Chimney Cricket

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Chimney Cricket

Any thoughts on this cricket installation. The area leaks during driven rain storms. The place in new and the mason is blaming the roofer and roofer blaming the mason for the leaks. I thinks it's the cricket and metal roofing. Wanted to make sure I am not missing something. Sorry no pic of the masonry. It's in the lower part of the first photo. I think the last photo speaks for itself but additional eyes are always helpful.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Chimney Cricket

Looks like the roofer had a lot of extra metal so he started stacking it and called it a cricket... to much going on.. kind of an overdone thing that leaks...

Best

Ron

Ted Menelly Guest

The cricket builder blew it. The flashing should have went under not just the siding but the corner trim as well and as far as using the corrigated for the cricket material and then the way they cak it all off is out of control. It looks like they went to a lot of trouble trying to match into the roof and not near enough thought on the keeping out of the water. Not a bit of it would have been very visible from the ground so I am not sure what they were trying to accomplish.

Isn't that the type of metal roof one would see on a shop and not a house? Reason I ask, is that metal roofs with exposed fasteners tend to leak in my experience.

mathew stouffer Guest

They have had several leaks, but I don't think it's the result of fasteners. The flashing detail is pretty sloppy.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ron Bibler Guest

I have yet to see one of these types of roofs that did not have water stains at some point of the interior or attic.

Best

Ron

Richard A Hetzel Guest

Metal roofs, especially ones like this that were probably not installed by the roofing manufaturer's certified installer, are the cheapest way to keep 95% of the rain off any given floor area.

Often the problem is that the heat-cool cycles and resultant movement of the roof panels tend to unscrew the screws, and even if they are gasketed, they are either loose or missing, hence the propensity to leak.

AS for that cricket, it should all have been built of some flat metal, such as stainless steel. Done right, it would have performed forever. Done the way it is done, it probably only performs when it's not raining.

Looks like the roofer didn't know that water flows downhill and that the laps are supposed to be so that water will not go under the roof.

Caulk is not the cure all for this butcher job!

Richard A Hetzel Guest

I've spent HOURS sometimes designing crickets! Just one of the side benefits you get from using a REAL architect, and not some house-plan draftsman in Omaha or somewhere. THIS cricket, obviously, was NEVER designed...it just sort of fell together. Well, I guess it has to fall together before it falls apart.