mathew stouffer Guest

Default Flat metal roofing

How often do you see metal installed on flat roofing surfaces? Is it acceptable or does it depend on the manufacture. There were so many installation issues on this roof, I furgured mentioned this would reduce liability, because it looks like this is a leak waiting to happen.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Flat metal roofing

I believe it depends on the manufacturer specifications. Certainly worth questioning.

Two things:

Most metal roofing is for 4:12 slopes and steeper (at least the exposed fastener styles). Some of the concealed fastener styles are allowed to be 1/2" to 1" per foot slope.

That looks like pans for porch roofs, which are concealed fastener types and are allowed to be, I believe, down to about 1/2" or 1" per foot slope. Some of those are aluminum, others are galvanized, some are insulated pans which insulate the room underneath from the hot sun baked roof above.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

There likely is insufficient slope, thus the heat cables to stop the ponding of water from freezing and getting up under seams.

Never seen nailer plates for heat cable like that, just screwed into the metal roof sure looks like a leak waiting to happen, if not already leaking.

mathew stouffer Guest

Jerry,
    Most of the area is over a deck, howerver, there is one area which is flat and it intersects with the living space.

mathew stouffer Guest

Raymond,
    The heat tape was an "upgrade". I told the owner fasteners installed like that will void the roof warranty. Good call.