Bob Spermo Guest

Default VA Inspections of Existing Home

From reading the VA website I believe that any inspector can do an inspection for an existing home that is using a VA mortgage. However, if you are using a VA loan for a house that is being constructed you need to be on the VA approved inspector list. Am I correct?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: VA Inspections of Existing Home

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Spermo View Post
    From reading the VA website I believe that any inspector can do an inspection for an existing home that is using a VA mortgage. However, if you are using a VA loan for a house that is being constructed you need to be on the VA approved inspector list. Am I correct?
    No......SAHs still have to be inspected by a VA Compliance Inspector even for pre-existing construction. As you seem to be aware a VA Compliance Inspector also does stage inspections (when local AHJs don't) and final inspections for new construction.

Then there is the existing construction...and the VA Appraisal:

VA Appraisal Inspections on existing properties are NOT HI inspections, and not done by Compliance Inspectors, they must be done by an approved FHA/HUD/VA Appraiser.

A VA inspection is an Appraiser Inspection. See following quoted from VA site:

Although the appraiser views the property and may require repairs, he or she is not a home inspector that would test the mechanical systems, go on the roof, test the structure, etc. VA recommends the veteran consider hiring a home inspector if he or she has concerns about the property condition. Although VA may guarantee the loan, the VA appraisal will not guarantee the condition of the property.

Quote Originally Posted by vba.va.gov
    What an appraisal is
    Quote Originally Posted by vba.va.gov
    -- An appraisal is how the value of a property is determined. The appraisal is used to determine the maximum loan amount of the guaranteed mortgage. As part of the appraisal process, the appraiser looks for conditions that can affect the habitability and value of the property.

What an appraisal is not -- An appraisal is not an inspection of the property. VA guarantees mortgages, not the condition of the property. The appraiser looks for violations of the VA Minimum Property Requirements; the appraiser is not an expert in heating or cooling systems, plumbing systems, electrical systems, roofing systems. If you are concerned about the physical condition of the property and systems, we recommend that you hire a private inspector to inspect the property.

Minimum Property Requirements -- The VA Minimum Property Requirements are very basic items that can affect the value of a property. They are minimal requirements and are not a substitute for private inspections. Their main concern is the safety, sanitation and structural soundness of the property
    Hope that answers your question sufficiently. Now, if you're asking about doing a private HI for the vet that is NOT apart of the lending verification process and are not being asked for a VA Inspection, then sure go right ahead.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 10-14-2009 at 06:18 PM.