Default Need help with ID of trim boards

I need some help and or information on a type of trim board I have never seen It has been used on a home that has Hardy plank siding on it. A critter, most likely a squirrel has been gnawing on sections of it.

The inside of the board is a hard white almost crystalline material. I have no idea what it is. Any ideas??

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Default Re: Need help with ID of trim boards

Scott,

From the photos it looks like some type of foam.

Did it look that way from your vantage point up close?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

May have been an Architectural Foam Molding (Moulding), made of EPS (expanded polystyrene). Most of what I have seen usually has a hard white shell on the exterior side and are considered paintable. I've usually encountered these as applied on masonry, stucco, EIFS, and with some residing projects involving vinyl, aluminum, and composite siding.

Squirels, racoons, mice, rats, and other critters are not phased by its presence - they chew through the exterior "shell" and right on through it. On the other hand it is thought to be termite proof (although I have seen carpenter ants infest behind it).

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    May have been an Architectural Foam Molding (Moulding), made of EPS (expanded polystyrene).
    The foam I have in mind is that much finer grained stuff like is used for the interior plastic (or foam, which ever it is) molding which have the wood look material wrapped around them.

What it looks like to me is not EPS, but is much finer grained.

However, it is susceptible to the same problems as the EPS foam H. G. referred to.

Also, while termites do not eat EPS, they do tunnel through it to wood inside.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

This was not like any foam I have ever seen. It was hard and I could chip it out with a screwdriver almost like sandstone. I guess it almost had the density of pumice.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

See if you can get a sample of "FoamStone" sent to you, see if it seems similar after you chip off the surface and let it be exposed to the elements for a year of seasonal shifts.

I can't see the detail in the photos that indicate anything other than what I've described.

It doesn't look like Harditrim to me in the pictures but that's about how I'd describe it assuming you had to use a screwdriver to chip it.

What I have in mind is XPS, extruded polystyrene. That is a lot denser that EPS (expanded polystyrene).

While that could be high density urethane foam, that is white in color and most urethane foam is yellowish in color. Urethane foam is available in 40 pounds per cubic foot densities, probably even greater, so it makes for a very dense foam too.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

It could be cellular foam concrete being used as mortar. I have seen this stuff applied, but not to fiber-cement siding. Looks like a nightmare to me.

Last edited by A.D. Miller; 10-15-2009 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fritzkelly View Post
    Scott, that look identical to some baseboard I bought recently at Home Depot. Dense urethane foam and white. No idea if it is rated for exterior use. Probably made from peanut oil
    Fritz,

That's the stuff I'm referring to. You sure it is urethane and not extruded polystyrene? Could be urethane.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

This is a vacant REO house way out in the country, I might just go back out and see if I can snatch a small piece of the trim away from one of those critters to see if I can figure it out.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    see if I can snatch a small piece of the trim away from one of those critters to see if I can figure it out.
    Don't nobody feed the squirrels where you are, Scott?

If that squirrel was standing on the ground when he did that, could be a PCB mutant. Watch your back out there.

Scott,
    I bumped this thread way, way, up because I was wondering if you ever determined what that trim was. Do you happen to remember?
    thanks