Milan Drobena Guest

Default Home Inspection: Standing Water in crawlspace

Hello, I was looking into buying one house in east Tennessee. However home inspector found standing water in crawlspace. He told me that it is ok if it is just water from recent rain that will drain in few days. He told me to wait 3 days after rain stop and see if there is still water. If it is still there after 3 days than it is problem. What can I do to find out if water in crawl space is really problem there or not. He told me he hasn't seen any mold or anything else and house is 5 years old. I read on internet that there shouldn't be any water in crawlspace no matter if it is raining outside or not (and that is just stupid excuse from seller that water in crawl space is from recent rain). I am really upset about that house. I am really thinking about to just forgot about that house and move on to buy something else. How can I find out if water there is a real problem or something to not to be worry about?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Home Inspection: Standing Water in crawlspace

Did your home inspector make a recommendation on how to prevent water from going under the home?

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Exercise your option to recind your offer immediately citing the report and the presence of standing water in the crawlspace if it bothers or concerns you (as well it should). If you wait your right to recind will have expired. Speak to your real estate attorney about contingencies for a Level II inspection if you are still interested in exploring the value and condition of the subject property. If you haven't already engaged a RE attorney to represent you in your contracts and future closing, then recind now and find one before you resume shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Drobena View Post
    Hello, I was looking into buying one house in east Tennessee. However home inspector found standing water in crawlspace. He told me that it is ok if it is just water from recent rain that will drain in few days. He told me to wait 3 days after rain stop and see if there is still water. If it is still there after 3 days than it is problem. What can I do to find out if water in crawl space is really problem there or not. He told me he hasn't seen any mold or anything else and house is 5 years old. I read on internet that there shouldn't be any water in crawlspace no matter if it is raining outside or not (and that is just stupid excuse from seller that water in crawl space is from recent rain). I am really upset about that house. I am really thinking about to just forgot about that house and move on to buy something else. How can I find out if water there is a real problem or something to not to be worry about?
    If you are uncomfortable with the standing water, you mighth want to consider walking away or requesting that the seller correct the conditions that contribute to the water.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

No water is supposed to drain into the crawl space from outside, if it does, then the grading is all wrong.

If the groundwater table is that high and the water is groundwater and not from rain water, then there are other problems which need to be addressed.

Either of the two could be VERY expensive to correct PROPERLY.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

All good points from all the other post. Correcting a standing water condition can be very hard to do. You can try this and then that and the something else.

The next thing to think about is you will some day want to sell this home and the next buyer may walk away and the next buyer and the next buyer. do you want that kind of a program in your life at this time.

I would walk. Another point is that some homes can have a spring coming up under them after a rain as the water table gets high.

These are just a few thing to think about.

Best

Ron

RUN FOREST RUN!!!!

Milan Drobena Guest

Thanks all for your replies. I am going to look into it and will ask people about it.

Milan,

Just how much water would be acceptable to you to be under the house to consider purchasing it?

rick

Ron Bibler Guest

Rick maybe its not rain water Could be a disconnected bathtub or the main sewer drain pipe has been leaking for 5 years with Electrical wires just above the water level... SHOCKING

Best

Ron

Brad Deal Guest

Milan,

There are multiple significant issues concerning standing water in the crawlspace. A properly trained inspector should point out that standing water can negatevely impact the foundation causing settlement, sloping floors, cracked and failed footings, dry rot, MOLD. Plus the next service man who goes down there may get electrocuted, or bit by the various animals it will attract. There are lot more reasons. Maybe a broken water pipe. Maybe black water from a broken sewer.

The real issue here is what else did the inspector miss or under report?

You must be careful when the information on which you make a purchase descion is suspect.

Brad Deal

Ted Menelly Guest

Forget all the other posts with the exception that it is a bad thing but read Rick Hurst post another 3 times.

Ah never mind, I will post it again.

"RUN FOREST RUN!!!!"

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

All things being equal, I don't see any value in shouting "Run, Forrest, Run"
    How about this: "Further investigation and solution" Man, it could be nothing more than a leaky pipe or a bad gutter. The seller might just be perfectly willing to address it to your satisfaction. God help any market when you run from an inspector's notation without consideration.
    I did a house 3 months ago. Had standing water. The seller said: "No problem, I'll do what it takes"
    The buyer was poisoned by another inspector and bailed out. Now that was his option, but the only reason he left was the water which now does not exist. Only I win. I'll get another job. Not a good feeling.

JLMathis

However home inspector found standing water in crawlspace. He told me that it is ok if it is just water from recent rain that will drain in few days. He told me to wait 3 days after rain stop and see if there is still water. If it is still there after 3 days than it is problem.

I'm wondering if that inspector is a member here and has read the above responses?

Also wondering why standing water in a crawl space is not considered a problem by that inspector until the standing water has been there 3 more days (we don't know how long it has already been there)?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

What you need is an inspector that can give you an idea to the fact of why there is standing water other than the stupid an swer he gave you. As far as being there because it rained recently , well, that is uncalled for and needs repair itself. If it is from a leakin sewer line, well, that can be fixed as well but dam man, you don't know that. If it is from a leaking water line then....you don't know that as well. Did the inspector tell you any damn thing that could help you in any way?????? If not then I suggest you get another inspector that may know what he is talking about and mahybe offer up a further evaluation and repair from xxxx contractor.

Anyway you look at it, it is bad and needs repair/something but again you do not have a clue at this point so "Run Forest....Run"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I'm wondering if that inspector is a member here and has read the above responses?
    If was a member here for any amount of time, and auctually reads all the posts here, I dought he would of given this buyer that information.

Sounds to me he might be one of those inspectors that thinks since he got a Lic. or an instant on-line cert. he knows it all.

If it was rain water how many days does it rain in Tenn?

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post

If it was rain water how many days does it rain in Tenn?
    .Dan,

I see Mesa Az has a Yearly Average Rainfall of 9 inches.

Poster is on the other( East) end of the State.

But Here ( West ) end Last month 5 days Without Rain.

This Month ( so far ) maybe 3.

Not typical for this time of year. January through May wet with thunderstorms in the Summer months average a couple of times a week.

Average yearly rainfall 55 inches per year.

Starting to grow moss between my toes.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 10-16-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Mesa Az
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Any water issues under a home should be corrected. Never heard of a 3 day rule. Heard of 24 hr standing in a yard.
    Please provide the exact statement from your report for the benefit of us to understand.
    Thanks

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

I was the inspector and here is what the deal was.

We have had several inches of rain since the 1st of the month. It had rained heavy all that day. IN fact we got an inch of rain on the day of the inspection. We are almost 11" above normal rainfall for the year. We have had about 49" so far this year. It usually rains over 50" per year.

The ground around the house was heavily saturated. While the drainage around the house was pretty good, the rear downspouts did need a little work.
    The house is mid slope on a hill, with several houses up slope. There is a lot of water that runs down the hill from the houses above.

The standing water was along portions of the foundation wall, and near the front of the house. The drainage is towards the front of the house. The water was less than an inch deep and maybe 3 - 4 inches wide in places. It was not in the entire crawlspace, just in a few places along the edge.

The plastic vapor barrier was dry, and there were no signs of fungus growth on the framing. The main part of the crawlspace was actually pretty nice.
    Based on the gravel around the perimeter (inside the crawlspace), I assume there is a foundation drainage system installed.

Oh, by the way, I can assure you it was not from leaking pipes.

Jack,

I have seen many crawl spaces which had high water marks in them, but not from standing water, from flooding water.

There are several areas in South Florida which flood every time it rains much at all, and when the flooding water recedes the water in the crawl spaces recede with it.

But you could not do an inspection in those conditions as the yards would also be a foot or more deep in water, many times even flooding the streets.

But ... when the flood water recedes ... the water in the crawl space goes with it.

The only way I am envisioning what was described is that the crawl space floor was below grade, unlike the ones I've seen, and that there was no flooding around the house, but in the crawl space, and that should not happen.

Am I envisioning what was there?

Do you have any input on the 3 day thing you stated?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Sounds like a bit of over stimulation on the buyers behalf

Jack,

It is a judgment call that all of us have to make. You where the one there and I am guessing you determined it was just a rare occurrence.

Only thing is you stated (Based on the gravel around the perimeter (inside the crawlspace), I assume there is a foundation drainage system installed.)

I would of moved some of the gravel and checked for drainage pipe. If present then the drainage is not pitched/gravity to the lowest drainage point and outside. If it was installed correctly there would be no standing water because the end of the drainage system would be open and free flowing.

Just an observation and again you are knowledgeable enough to call it if needed.

Last edited by Mike Schulz; 10-19-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: can't spell
    Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I was the inspector and here is what the deal was.

We have had several inches of rain since the 1st of the month. It had rained heavy all that day. IN fact we got an inch of rain on the day of the inspection. We are almost 11" above normal rainfall for the year. We have had about 49" so far this year. It usually rains over 50" per year.

The ground around the house was heavily saturated. While the drainage around the house was pretty good, the rear downspouts did need a little work.
    The house is mid slope on a hill, with several houses up slope. There is a lot of water that runs down the hill from the houses above.

The standing water was along portions of the foundation wall, and near the front of the house. The drainage is towards the front of the house. The water was less than an inch deep and maybe 3 - 4 inches wide in places. It was not in the entire crawlspace, just in a few places along the edge.

The plastic vapor barrier was dry, and there were no signs of fungus growth on the framing. The main part of the crawlspace was actually pretty nice.
    Based on the gravel around the perimeter (inside the crawlspace), I assume there is a foundation drainage system installed.

Oh, by the way, I can assure you it was not from leaking pipes.
    Good call Jack, and pretty gutsy to step up and take ownership with all the Monday morning quarterbacks here.
    Jim

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

It is very easy to make assumptions from hundreds if not thousands of miles away.
    The crawlspace is actually a few inches below the surrounding grade. Even if I was able to dig thru the gravel and locate the drain pipe, there would be no way for me to determine how it was installed, or even find the termination point.

Based on the amount of rain we have had, I was surprised there was not MORE water there. The ground was totally saturated, and the amount of water visible along to foundation was pretty minimal.

Jack,

That is why I said you where there and drew your conclusions from what you know.

What I was saying though is you don't need to determine how the drainage pipe was installed or where it terminated. But knowing if one was there would of raised a flag to have it looked at.
    If there wasn't any I would of said if water persist during normal rain conditions and weather patterns then corrections will be needed because it is conducive to moisture related issues.

Just being devils advocate. Your call was good but leaves the window open for repercussions.

I got to run to my second Inspection for the day. Overall it has been a good year for me as far as work.

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    Jack,

That is why I said you where there and drew your conclusions from what you know.

What I was saying though is you don't need to determine how the drainage pipe was installed or where it terminated. But knowing if one was there would of raised a flag to have it looked at.
    If there wasn't any I would of said if water persist during normal rain conditions and weather patterns then corrections will be needed because it is conducive to moisture related issues.

Just being devils advocate. Your call was good but leaves the window open for repercussions.

I got to run to my second Inspection for the day. Overall it has been a good year for me as far as work.

Schmuck

It's Mike Schmuck

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    It's Mike Schmuck
    It's jealous Ted Schmuck here

My work has been ok but I would not go as far as pretty good by any means.

Milan Drobena Guest

Hi all,

Thanks for all replies. Jack did very good job and he is helping me even after inspection. He provide me his honest and professional opinion and if I will be buying another home I will hire him again. He found that problem, he reported it and he told me what he is thinking about that and I don't have a one reason not to believe him. I was thinking about get opinion of waterproofing contractor, problem is they would tell me there is a problem even if there is not only to sell their system. They will not even look at the house, they would tell me that there is a problem and to buy their drain system. I called Jack and he is going to take a second look at the house crawl space (it wasn't raining for couple of days). We like the house but we want to know what we are buying and I don't want to be worry about every rain that can cause water damage in crawl space. And also I don't want to run to crawl space after every rain to check if there is any water that can cause damage as time go (specially if that crawl space is 3 ft high and I am more than 6 ft tall). If I am going to spend a lot of money to buy that house I would like to know as much as I could about house and problems that are in, so I can either backup from agreement, have seller fix it or negotiate price and have it fixed by myself. However I know that there is problem, maybe really little one that I don't have to be worry about, maybe really big one that I need to spend xx thousands $ on it in order to get it fixed. This information I am not able to get and it will really help me to make a decision. Once again thanks for all your professional opinions, I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Milan.

'Everything an inspector needs to know'....thats what it says at top of page.

Milan,
    Another POSSIBILITY as to why water gets in many crawlspaces is because the exterior blocks were not waterproofed,not even parged as shown here.You might have to click link 2 times to view
    Snapfish: Share:Registration

Pic`s 4-7 in particular....there is NOTHING protecting the porous exterior blocks and open joints,cracks. Water can EASILY enter through any of those and then be seen inside the crawl.Water entering these exterior openings can also cause some efflorescence,mold etc on some of the inside blocks.

Raising-sloping the GRADE and-or 1 mile long downspout extensions do NOT seal/waterproof ANY of the porous exterior blocks,joints,cracks.
    What some FAIL to realize is water percolates/moves through soil
    SIDEWAYS as well as down,there is no underground-slope/pitch and so on those longer-heavier rains and spring thaws,IF there are exterior cracks
    in wall or open joints/no parging etc then water can easily enter REGARDLESS of the grade.

Raising and sloping the grade away cannot keep all SUBSURFACE water away from a basement or crawlspace wall,period. The GRADE is NOT a possible problem as to WHY water is allowed to get in/enter exterior cracks etc.

If and when there is a crack(s),open joints etc then THAT is
    THE problem,that is what needs to be identified/detected and then fixed/waterproofed. Termites and other insects as well as RADON GAS and other soil gases can also easily enter a basement or crawl through the same exterior openings.

NOT saying this is the problem with the house you looked at,no. But am saying its ALWAYS one of the likely possible problems for any crawl or
    basement.

Look at pics 4-7,click SLIDESHOW, see exterior openings,no parging?
    So.....raising-sloping the grade etc will NOT repair/waterproof ANY possible exterior cracks,open joints....never has and never will.

How about this lady,she just bought this house,SELLER raised and sloped the grade.....is the grade HIGH enough for ya? lol
    Did raising and sloping the grade away IDENTIFY the ACTUAL problems?
    Nope,never does.

Did raising and sloping the grade fix-repair-waterproof the actual problems? Nope,never does.Thus the constant recommendations to raise and slope grade to homeowners with leaky basements is incompetent.
    It is NOT a SOLUTION. It does NOT identify/diagnose how-where the water got in.

Another homeowner misled
    New driveway.Also tarred along edge of drive and house.They also applied
    DRYLOK on inside wall....NONE of this identified the actual problems,the actual ways water was getting in,which was because there were vertical and horizontal exterior cracks in the block wall,plus some other openings.

There was also another 4" of concrete UNDER the new driveway,was right up against the basement wall.And UNDER that was a DRAIN and pipe.
    Total incompetence,didn`t SOLVE anything.WASTE of MONEY.

Basement wall,just like most crawls....no parging,no nothing.Open joints etc where water is allowed to easily enter the blocks which then shows up inside the basement right along the FLOOR-WALL joint,also referred to as the cove,cold joint,'I' joint.Their grade was raised about 10-12".

If someone had recommended to raise and slope grade to this homeowner,would that have identified and then fixed the actual problems?
    NOPE.

Play slideshow,see LAST 5 pics? Thats what the inside corner looks like.
    Now check out pic`s 2-11....the outside of block wall,what ya see?

On the inside of basement you don`t see whats OPEN,whats deteriorating on the outside.
    Ask yet again, if ya raise and slope the GRADE and-or extend downspout 5 miles away from house,would that fix-repair-waterproof the existing exterior cracks/defects? And again,insects-radon etc can easily enter the hollow blocks,just like water/rain does.

Last edited by John Bubber; 10-20-2009 at 02:41 AM.

Ted Menelly Guest

Hey Bub

As to why you would be laughing about raising soil and then throwing the "it don't water proof ....Not sure where you are going.

Please don't explain. Yes you need to water proof but yes you do need proper slope away from the foundation and direct the wall around instead of up against or allow pockets to form and then the water only has one way to go...down

Both are necessary and I do not think anyone in any post said that sloping soil water proofs foundation walls.

Good info though but stop the laughing....Both are needed. Water proofing and proper slope.

Your whole post appeared to smite all that posted anything before you. I can absolutely garranty that even though you sound well versed I promise you that you do not know everything.

Oh yeah....Only I know everything. I am the exception to the rule

Good advise is one thing. I know everything and none of you no nuttin dun cut it.

Ted,

All of John's threads have been that way.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I'm glad he's on my ignore list - I missed it. Well, maybe I didn't.

You know, if you leave your doors open long enough, sooner or later a stray dog will wander in. If you let it stay, or if you feed it - sooner or later it will crap on your carpet.
    Good timing is when you remove it from your house before it craps on your carpet and smells up the house.

Just thinking out loud.

What don`t you three get? This really isn`t too difficult to understand.

Ted, you ask,'not sure where i am going' about raising the GRADE,that raising the grade does not waterproof.

That`s right. Many HI`s recommend raising-sloping the grade as a SOLUTION to homeowners who have leaky basements,how do THEY figure? They do not know how-where-why the water is getting in!

If a homeowner gets water in basement on floor sometimes it is due to a blockage in the lateral line,so i`ll ask you three....what good would raising and sloping the grade do,how is that snaking the lateral line? G dang man!

Many homeowners who have block or brick walls get water in basement on floor along the cove/cold joint/I-joint because there is one or more cracks on the EXTERIOR-of-the-wall or cracked-parging or other openings that allow water in and so,how is raising the GRADE reparing/waterproofing the cracks,cracked parging or other opening????? It`s.....snot.
    Never has and never will!

MY problem/point with s'ome HI`s and others who RECOMMEND this MYTH is that it has NOT identified-whatever-the-actual=problem-is!!! It doesn`t snake a possible blockage in lateral line,it doesn`t waterproof possible cracks on the outside of a basement wall, it doesn`t tuckpoint open mortar joints etc!

You haven`t identified/detected how the stupid water is getting in and so all your doing is HURTING a buyer/seller!!! THEY are the one`s who`ll eventually have to PAY for whatever the ACTUAL PROBLEM was.
    UN------BE-----LIEVABLE!

Your supposed to be helping the seller/buyer, not potentially have them incur COSTS to fix chtt you didn`t want to help correctly identify or do not understand and recommended crap like raising the grade as a solution,got that? Why bother to say/recommend ANYTHING on THIS subject since its obvious you three do not understand!

If you don`t want to help a seller/buyer DEFINE how-where-why water is getting in then FINE,LEAVE IT ALONE! Explain to seller/buyer that you are NOT an expert on this subject,tell them the truth,that you don`t wanna waste YOUR time (your inspection doesn`t include) on DETERMINING how water is getting in basement.Last thing any HI should be doing is recommending raising the stupid grade as any kind of solution!

Ask you three one more time,YOU go ahead and fully explain to me/others,
    how is raising and sloping the grade away from a house waterproofing an existing crack(s) on the outside of a block basement wall??? If there is a crack, its a DEFECT....needs to fixed,not left open.Just like if there was a dang HOLE in someones ROOF,what would you recommend? Leave it OPEN?

How is raising and sloping the grade away or adding a 100 mile long extension on downspout,how will that snake a possible blockage in a lateral line???

How would raising the grade/adding soil/filling stupid low spots in yard repairing possible open mortar joints or openings/crevices in-around-under a basement window or around a door???

Do i have to post hundreds of links from home inspectors who actually state this CRAP on their website? HI`s need to be held accountable for any incompetent recommendation that winds up costing a buyer thousands of dollars,dang right. One more time,either quit recommending
    this GRADE crap as some sort of magical-solution or help them truly identify how-where-why water is getting in their basement,charge them if you have to just stop this continuing blcchttt myths.

EXPLAIN how raising and sloping the grade or mudjacking slabs or extending the downspout to the MOON would fix/waterproof the actual problems on any home that has these,go ahead,here`s yer chance to shine fella`s!!!

How is telling any homeowner to raise grade,extend their downspouts etc....how is any of that CRAP identifying these possible and very likely DEFECTS?

Go ahead, play-click SLIDESHOW.
    Some incorrectly assume and recommend to homeowners to have them mudjack slabs or pour concrete etc where a homeowner gets water in basement,more moronic junk.
    Go ahead,look at the pictures,what do you see. What are THE problems? HOW is water getting
    in block wall and then coming out inside basement along floor-wall???
    WHY is there efflorescence,paint peeling on inside walls?
    What have YOU recommended to homeowners who have the same-similar problems?
    Did you tell them raise the grade? Tell them to mudjack a slab(s)? Extend downspout?
    Splashblock? Inside system??? NONE of those would have fixed/repaied/waterproofed the REAL PROBLEMS,hello?????

Ted says he can absoluetly guarantee, 'i don`t know everything about waqterproofing'.
    LOL! One thing is certain sir, know much more than you three about THIS subject,dang skippy.

I challenge you to find ONE soul on this planet who knows more than i do on this-subject.

Hey,maybe you three think these scammers know more than i do......eh? In fact,have read a couple HI`s here recommend this scamming co,thats great.Wonderful,way to look out for the unsuspecting homeowners in ILL
    Perma Seal Basement Systems | Better Business Bureau Review | Downers Grove, IL

Another thing we`ve seen for many years is quite a few HI`s recommend INSIDE SYSTEM Co`s,such as Perma Seal in ILL or many Everdrys. This is just more incompetent crap that HURTS sellers/buyers.These companies do not identify dog squat either! Why recommend a company to any homeowner that doesn`t/won`t identify the actual problem and always tells homeowners their stupid-scamming inside system is all they need,always telling homeowners all their problems are hydrostatic pressure problems under the basement floor......nonsense/scam!!!!!!

Last edited by John Bubber; 10-21-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bubber View Post
    John,

I agree ...

Just what is it that you do not get about the way we ALL (I am sure it is "ALL") feel about your posts here.

What don't you get ... and what is so difficult to understand?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John,
    The post started about a crawl space not a basement. HI suggest sloping the grade because that is what is required and is "only" the first step to a solution. Depending on the topography ,soil type, and many other factors can you come to a conclusion of "steps" to take to correct water intrusion.

Also I will be glad to go toe to toe with ya on any water related issue.........

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Bubber View Post

Ted, you ask,'not sure where i am going' about raising the GRADE,that raising the grade does not waterproof.

That`s right. Many HI`s recommend raising-sloping the grade as a SOLUTION to homeowners who have leaky basements,how do THEY figure? They do not know how-where-why the water is getting in!

If a homeowner gets water in basement on floor sometimes it is due to a blockage in the lateral line,so i`ll ask you three....what good would raising and sloping the grade do,how is that snaking the lateral line? G dang man!

Many homeowners who have block or brick walls get water in basement on floor along the cove/cold joint/I-joint because there is one or more cracks on the EXTERIOR-of-the-wall or cracked-parging or other openings that allow water in and so,how is raising the GRADE reparing/waterproofing the cracks,cracked parging or other opening????? It`s.....snot.
    Never has and never will!

MY problem/point with s'ome HI`s and others who RECOMMEND this MYTH is that it has NOT identified-whatever-the-actual=problem-is!!! It doesn`t snake a possible blockage in lateral line,it doesn`t waterproof possible cracks on the outside of a basement wall, it doesn`t tuckpoint open mortar joints etc!

You haven`t identified/detected how the stupid water is getting in and so all your doing is HURTING a buyer/seller!!! THEY are the one`s who`ll eventually have to PAY for whatever the ACTUAL PROBLEM was.
    UN------BE-----LIEVABLE!

Your supposed to be helping the seller/buyer, not potentially have them incur COSTS to fix chtt you didn`t want to help correctly identify or do not understand and recommended crap like raising the grade as a solution,got that? Why bother to say/recommend ANYTHING on THIS subject since its obvious you three do not understand!

If you don`t want to help a seller/buyer DEFINE how-where-why water is getting in then FINE,LEAVE IT ALONE! Explain to seller/buyer that you are NOT an expert on this subject,tell them the truth,that you don`t wanna waste YOUR time (your inspection doesn`t include) on DETERMINING how water is getting in basement.Last thing any HI should be doing is recommending raising the stupid grade as any kind of solution!

Ask you three one more time,YOU go ahead and fully explain to me/others,
    how is raising and sloping the grade away from a house waterproofing an existing crack(s) on the outside of a block basement wall??? If there is a crack, its a DEFECT....needs to fixed,not left open.Just like if there was a dang HOLE in someones ROOF,what would you recommend? Leave it OPEN?

How is raising and sloping the grade away or adding a 100 mile long extension on downspout,how will that snake a possible blockage in a lateral line???

How would raising the grade/adding soil/filling stupid low spots in yard repairing possible open mortar joints or openings/crevices in-around-under a basement window or around a door???

Do i have to post hundreds of links from home inspectors who actually state this CRAP on their website? HI`s need to be held accountable for any incompetent recommendation that winds up costing a buyer thousands of dollars,dang right. One more time,either quit recommending
    this GRADE crap as some sort of magical-solution or help them truly identify how-where-why water is getting in their basement,charge them if you have to just stop this continuing blcchttt myths.

EXPLAIN how raising and sloping the grade or mudjacking slabs or extending the downspout to the MOON would fix/waterproof the actual problems on any home that has these,go ahead,here`s yer chance to shine fella`s!!!

How is telling any homeowner to raise grade,extend their downspouts etc....how is any of that CRAP identifying these possible and very likely DEFECTS?

Go ahead, play-click SLIDESHOW.
    Some incorrectly assume and recommend to homeowners to have them mudjack slabs or pour concrete etc where a homeowner gets water in basement,more moronic junk.
    Go ahead,look at the pictures,what do you see. What are THE problems? HOW is water getting
    in block wall and then coming out inside basement along floor-wall???
    WHY is there efflorescence,paint peeling on inside walls?
    What have YOU recommended to homeowners who have the same-similar problems?
    Did you tell them raise the grade? Tell them to mudjack a slab(s)? Extend downspout?
    Splashblock? Inside system??? NONE of those would have fixed/repaied/waterproofed the REAL PROBLEMS,hello?????

Ted says he can absoluetly guarantee, 'i don`t know everything about waqterproofing'.
    LOL! One thing is certain sir, know much more than you three about THIS subject,dang skippy.

I challenge you to find ONE soul on this planet who knows more than i do on this-subject.

Hey,maybe you three think these scammers know more than i do......eh? In fact,have read a couple HI`s here recommend this scamming co,thats great.Wonderful,way to look out for the unsuspecting homeowners in ILL
    Perma Seal Basement Systems | Better Business Bureau Review | Downers Grove, IL

Another thing we`ve seen for many years is quite a few HI`s recommend INSIDE SYSTEM Co`s,such as Perma Seal in ILL or many Everdrys. This is just more incompetent crap that HURTS sellers/buyers.These companies do not identify dog squat either! Why recommend a company to any homeowner that doesn`t/won`t identify the actual problem and always tells homeowners their stupid-scamming inside system is all they need,always telling homeowners all their problems are hydrostatic pressure problems under the basement floor......nonsense/scam!!!!!!
    Holy Moley

Well, I never.

Bubbles. You are like seriously out of control. To much high powered energy drinks of 30 cups of coffe a day.

Talk about reading everything into a short statement from the thread starter. I responded before I new the inspector. Now that I know the inspector on that inspection I know there was a lot more to his findings.

I am not sure where the three hour spiels come in on every thing there is and ever was to do about water control, errosion, nose picking (did I say that), water proofing, grade raising, mudd jackoffing and such.

Like I said....Holy Moley...I never.

Like I said Bubbles. Way to much of an over load.

When you meet someone new do they know your entire life story in the first ten minutes or do you hold back the 8th grade for another hour ?

Ted,
    Just put these guys on your ignore list. It makes the thread stream much shorter.
    I only saw his post because you clipped it - OMG!

I know skippy isn't too bright because he called water STUPID. Water is not stupid, it reaches it's own level every single time. Whereas, skippy is a half bubble from plumb.

"Don't feed the monkeys - they will throw poop at you". - A sign at the Zoo.

John click on member list above and choose from there.......

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com