Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Height of Gas and Water Shut Off Valves

I looked at a condo yesterday where the main water shut-off valve was 7 feet high and above the water heater and plumbing lines. The gas shut-off valves were a few inches higher and in an equally hard area to get to.

Is there a maximum allowable height for these shut-offs? The unit is 4 years old.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Height of Gas and Water Shut Off Valves

Nick - The 2006 IRC says the main water shut-off shall be "accessible".

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

And the 2006 IRC says the gas shut-off valves shall be located, yada yada, "so as to provide access for operation".

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I looked at a condo yesterday where the main water shut-off valve was 7 feet high and above the water heater and plumbing lines. The gas shut-off valves were a few inches higher and in an equally hard area to get to.

Is there a maximum allowable height for these shut-offs? The unit is 4 years old.
    Not that I'm aware of for the water, just accessible and that can even be at the meter. For gas in my area, the shut-off valve has to be within 3 feet of the appliance.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Thanks guys. The valves are accessible but a smaller person will probably need a step stool or a long stick to get to them.