Chris Doskas Guest

Default Hopefully a home inspector

Hello all;

I am currently taking classes in Ontario, Canada to be a home inspector it is a lot of work but I am enjoying it, its the Carson Dunlop program and will be a long journey from September to August. The amount of information that you have to learn is overwhelming. So all respect to all of you also any tips on what to expect after school other than be insured and join the associations

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Re: Hopefully a home inspector

Read this site everyday. You will learn more here then in any class. Plus if you can do some ride alongs that will be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Read this site everyday. You will learn more here then in any class. Plus if you can do some ride alongs that will be very helpful.
    This site is a great resource and I also second Mathew's advice about doing ride-alongs, as many as possible. There's nothing like watching experienced home inspectors in action to show you how it's done. Dealing with the various people involved, such as clients, sellers and agents, is a big part of the job.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Practice your routine until it is second nature. Practice on your own home and all of your friends homes. I always go to the left and do the entire room to the left until I come back to the beginning. I chose going to the left because I can check outlets with my left hand next to the wall and my right hand can take pic's. Then onto the next room to the left, etc. Decide how you will handle rooms or halls that are in the middle. You would be surprised at how easy it is to miss entire rooms if you don't follow a set routine.

Good luck and keep watching this site. (Don't be afraid to post a question or opinion).

mathew stouffer Guest

A good tip an inspector gave me was once around the exteroir clockwise once counter clockwise. It's amazing what you see the second time.

Chris Doskas Guest

Thank you for the advice I have been spending some time looking through this site, It is really good as a visual tool as well a good knowlege base on what is oit there. As far as the ride along thing there is an association that puts you out on a mentorship to get your required home inspections to get national certified so that should really help getting my hands on. I know that once I am done school I may have a [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']certificate I am not an inspector without hands on.[/FONT]

at least you are taking the C & D course.

That is the first good decision u made.

Keep up and u will surely succeed

It is sites like this which will keep u informed. Lots of good guys here.

Keep visiting often

Cheers