Default Plywood on garage walls

Hello everyone!

Inspected a 2005 house today and it had a detached garage with a breezeway to the house. The seller put plywood on the walls of the garage after buying it. It was just a framed garage when new. Since the garage is detached but attached by way of a breezeway way, is this ok? Having flameable walls in the garage is a problem but will this suffice due to the distance from the house with the breezeway attached?

Jim Murphy

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Plywood on garage walls

Quote Originally Posted by JIM MURPHY View Post
    Inspected a 2005 house today and it had a detached garage with a breezeway to the house.
    Jim,

If it is more than 3 feet from the house to the garage, then the only thing which may be a problem might be the breezeway roof structure.

Was the breezeway roof a flat roof with the rafters running parallel with the walls of the garage? If no, no problem.

Was the breezeway roof a gable roof connected to the garage and the house? If so, then the attic of the breezeway roof would need to be separated from the garage on the garage side of the garage/breezeway roof attic (but not required for that entire wall).

- R309.2 Separation required. The garage shall be separated from the residence and its attic area by not less than 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board applied to the garage side. Garages beneath habitable rooms shall be separated from all habitable rooms above by not less than 5/8-inch (15.9 mm) Type X gypsum board or equivalent. Where the separation is a floor-ceiling assembly, the structure supporting the separation shall also be protected by not less than 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board or equivalent. Garages located less than 3 feet (914 mm) from a dwelling unit on the same lot shall be protected with not less than 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board applied to the interior side of exterior walls that are within this area. Openings in these walls shall be regulated by Section R309.1. This provision does not apply to garage walls that are perpendicular to the adjacent dwelling unit wall.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

It is a gabled roof connecting the two. When you say separated, separated with what?

Jim

It is a gabled roof connecting the two. When you say separated, separated with what?
    Jim,

The breezeway attic would need to be separated from the garage by at least 1/2" gypsum minimum.

Thus, they could install 1/2" gypsum where the breezeway attic meets the garage wall, or, if the breezeway attic meets the garage attic and the garage ceiling is already 1/2" gypsum, then it is already "separated".

Thus it depends on the style and type of construction, along with the interconnection between the breezeway and the garage/garage attic, and if the garage has a 1/2" drywall, has an open ceiling, or something else.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry, that is what I thought you meant. The garage has an open truss ceiling and I believe the junction between the the breezeway and the garage is plywood. I know that there is no gypsum in the garage. So I will write it up that they need a fire wall separation there but not the entire garage wall right?

Jim

So I will write it up that they need a fire wall ...
    No, no, no ...

Do not mention the term "fire wall", it is simply "separation" from ...

separation there but not the entire garage wall right?
    I would write it up as the garage and its attic needs to have separation from the house and its attic, and that the breezeway attic is 'part of' the house's attic, thus the garage is required to be separated from the breezeway attic with at least 1/2" drywall.

That allows them, if they are not real smart, to cover the entire wall with drywall, which would be a good thing. Maybe not required, but a good thing, nonetheless.

Now, if the seller contacts a contractor who comes in do to the work, and the contractor understands the code, then he will tell the seller that the only part which needs to be drywall is the part which is needed to separate off the attic, and, when word comes back to your client, your client shakes his head yes in understanding because ... yep, you already explained it to your client ... you just did not explain it in your report.

There is never a need to explain something less than is most desirable to a contractor who SHOULD ALREADY KNOW.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 10-18-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: ??? "not did not explain it in your report" ??? huh? :-( ??? I meant "you just did not explain it in your report"
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry, you are always a big help to me!!!

Jim