Thread: New guy

Noah Adams Guest

Default New guy

I'm really just posting this to get rid of the "Our records indicate that you have never posted on InspectionNews!" message.

I'm not a HI, and have no real intentions of becoming one. However, I do a lot of my own work on the house (it's an old house, and I don't have money for a contractor), so the threads are very useful to me. I see a lot of mistakes that I've made in the past, which, although not likely to be dangerous, should be resolved to be code-worthy. I live in a rural area where permits and inspections don't mean much.

I did have my house inspected before I bought it... was a total waste of money, because I hired a contractor who did inspections in the "off season" to make money. I think he was a roofing/siding contractor who didn't like being in the cold. Anyway, I didn't know what I was doing when I hired him... he charged me $50, and told me what "looked wrong". Never tested outlets except to see that there was voltage, never pulled the panel, didn't write up a leaking lead drain pipe (very visible!), and was a complete waste of money, as I ended up going back through after I bought the place and finding tons of dangerous and costly repairs to make.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. I was 20, buying my first house, and had no idea what I was doing. I'm 23 and much wiser now, and doing my best to make this house into the house I wanted to buy in the first place...

Thanks to all you guys for your informative threads and detailed pictures and descriptions of problems. I really appreciate it!

Crawl Space Creeper

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: New guy

Welcome New guy... 20 And have your own home... Good for you... Now that you got some head knowledge you can get yourself into a lot more truble... L.O.L. So what kind of work do you do?

Best

Ron

Noah Adams Guest

Default Re: New guy

Hi Ron,

I was 20 when I started the adventure of homeownership. By the time I signed on the dotted line, I was just 21. Everyone knows how long closing takes!

My full-time job is a IT Technician for Wise Foods (potato chips). Part-time, I work evenings and weekends helping to support a local school district's PCs. I also do side computer work.

I tend to put in a lot of hours to pay the bills and give myself a little fun money. House, truck, and all the other payments take precedence, though. Oh, and no college education, so I don't make the big bucks at any job. I'm just lucky to have one.