mathew stouffer Guest

Default Breaker manufacture

Just curious if anyone recognizes these breakers. I could not read the manufactures label. One is double tapped. Transformer in panel is noted. Place was built in the early 80's.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Breaker manufacture

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Just curious if anyone recognizes these breakers. I could not read the manufactures label. One is double tapped. Transformer in panel is noted. Place was built in the early 80's.
    Matthew,

Looks like a Bulldog Pushmatic to me.

Bulldog & ITE Pushmatic Circuit Breakers & Electrical Panels - Safety Advice & Field Failure Reports

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

mathew stouffer Guest

Gunnar thanks. Any thoughts on the reliability of this product. Do you ever use this websit.

Bulldog & ITE Pushmatic Circuit Breakers & Electrical Panels - Safety Advice & Field Failure Reports

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Hope you also noted the presence of the sprayed paint/texture (white and gray) on the panel, breakers, and in the cabinet, its (the paint, esp terminals and bus) a (very)bad thing (completely voids the listing and presents a host of safety violationS), and requires replacement (or remediation followed by a field inspection by UL {or equal certification} which is much more expensive and not likely to pass, especially with white and gray on the ungrounded conductor wiring insulation and the paint on the terminals and bus).

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 10-21-2009 at 09:32 AM.

I agree with Gunnar, looks like Pushmatics. They are considered to be a top-notch product by many knowledgable people, although no longer in production.

The double-tap appears to be for that doorbell transformer. Some AHJ's will or would in the 80's, accept the double-tap for that purpose, considered to be a low current draw, light load. Some would approve of the soft stranded wire from the tranny tapped with a solid branch circuit wire, but not two hard wires as you have there.

Are those Aluminum wires down on the left?

mathew stouffer Guest

No it's copper. Thanks guys. HG got the paint.

Mat

Gunnar thanks. Any thoughts on the reliability of this product. Do you ever use this websit.
    Matthew,

I do not run into them a lot. Haven't seen one in a few years, and really don't know much about reliability. The website I provided seems to think they are not too bad, but dated. I don't know if replacements are available.

Only use the website on occasion. I have not found it terribly useful, but I do look once in a while.

Bill Emelander Guest

The house I just moved from had an ITE Pushmatic panel and breakers and they look like the ones pictured. Home built in the late 70's. I have had to replace a couple recently, hard to find and expensive.

Bill

mathew stouffer Guest

Thanks for the info. I tested the breakers they worked well. Didn't mentioned anything in the report, but did say something about the paint/drywall overspray.

I tested the breakers they worked well.
    Matthew,

Careful with use of the word "tested" in reports. I am sure you already know, but attorneys can be a tricky bunch. If you are ever deposed or on the witness stand regarding "testing", they will question you as to what standard you used for your "test". I prefer the work "operate".

I tested the breakers they worked well.

Mat,

You "tested" the breakers?

How?

What equipment do you carry with you to "test" the breakers?

Interested to know your "testing" method and the results, including the amps they trip at.

I think you meant to say you "operated" the breakers on/off. But, why would you even do that - that tells you nothing.

Just expanding on what Gunnar brought up. Something we bring up quite often.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Ok ok let's not get our panties in a bunch Yes I operated the breakers. Bank owned property that has been vacant for several years. Curious if they functioned.

Yes I operated the breakers.

Curious if they functioned.
    Okay, that clears up what you did. You need to try to make sure you only use the "tested" word when you really "tested" something as it should be "tested".

As far as being curious if they functioned or not, well ... ... that would require "testing".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I hate bunched panties.