Thread: laid up

Default laid up

I got out of the hospital Wed (a week ago) with a herniated disc. While in the ER, I actually had a minor heart attack. It could be a coincidence, or caused by the pain of the disc stressing the system. It was a partially torn artery near the heart. Very unusual, according to the doctor. My cholesterol numbers are fine, and my arteries are in great shape. I'm in the unique situation of a heart attack being the least of my problems. My recovery from that is nothing compared to the herniated disc.

The disc I've had before, and it sucks. I'll probably be laid up for a couple of weeks. Not much pain while laying in bed, but it can REALLY hurt to walk sometimes. If you've ever been through it, you know how it can be. The sciatic nerve can just crumple your leg when you try to put weight on it. It's getting better slowly, and I'm hoping to get back to work in a few weeks.

However, because my wife is so cool, she bought me a lap top so I can have something to do besides read and watch TV all day. At least I'll be able to keep up with IN.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Jim Robinson; 10-21-2009 at 09:34 AM. Reason: can't type on the lap top very well
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Default Re: laid up

Well, if you are going to have a heart attack, at least you were in the best place possible!

Hope everything works out for you and get better soon!

Jim
    Hope you get better soon.

"However, because my wife is so cool, she bought me a lap top so I can have something to do besides read and watch TV all day. At least I'll be able to keep up with IN."

Yeah, our version of Dr Phil, As the World Turns, and Oprah, all rolled up in one.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Have a speedy recovery. Smile a lot, it confuse everyone.

Joseph, Palm Bch County, Fl.
    HomeSafeSouthFlorida.com

Jim,

Glad to hear you are OK.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Chuck Lambert Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    I got out of the hospital Wed (a week ago) with a herniated disc. .
    Been there done that 16mm herniated disc L4-L5 with a 7mm S1-S2.

Hope you have a speedy recovery!!

Chuck

Ron Bibler Guest

Hey Jim will keep you in my prayers bub... Life sometimes gives us a
    curveball. Back pain is just no fun...

Keep posting on the board so we can see how you doing...

Best

Ron

P.S. I had open heart surgery 7 years back that was an odd moment

Mornings are pretty good. It seems to loosen up a little over night. I can get back in the hot tub soon. Something about the catheter opening not being submerged until completely healed, or maybe the artery plug thing they used. Loving this lap top, though. I have a little trouble with the touch pad instead of the mouse, but getting used to it.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

I've heard a lot of ways to get a new laptop but this is a bit extreme don't you think Jim?

Seriously, hope you get to feeling better soon.

rick

Last edited by Rick Hurst; 10-22-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Mornings are pretty good. It seems to loosen up a little over night. I can get back in the hot tub soon. Something about the catheter opening not being submerged until completely healed, or maybe the artery plug thing they used. Loving this lap top, though. I have a little trouble with the touch pad instead of the mouse, but getting used to it.
    Warning Jim Robinson: Laptops and hot tubs: Not a good idea.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I hope you didn't learn that message the hard way.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Ah, the old herniated disk routine. I had surgery a couple years ago and it was a long recovery. Honestly, I don't know if the surgery did the trick, the accupuncture, some other treatment called prolotherapy that I was doing, or if it was just time that healed me.

I think it was about 18 months after the surgery until I felt better. But, don't let that scare you. I've heard it varies greatly and some people are better within a few weeks. I guess I was just lucky. I was back to work within a month or so but just had a lot of pain, particularly in the morning. It's been several years now and I almost can't believe I had surgery. I have to be carful (lift with my legs, blah, blah, blah) but am overall okay.

I'm glad to hear your better from the heart thing... hang in there.

Ted Menelly Guest

I got out of the hospital Wed (a week ago) with a herniated disc. While in the ER, I actually had a minor heart attack. It could be a coincidence, or caused by the pain of the disc stressing the system. It was a partially torn artery near the heart. Very unusual, according to the doctor. My cholesterol numbers are fine, and my arteries are in great shape. I'm in the unique situation of a heart attack being the least of my problems. My recovery from that is nothing compared to the herniated disc.

The disc I've had before, and it sucks. I'll probably be laid up for a couple of weeks. Not much pain while laying in bed, but it can REALLY hurt to walk sometimes. If you've ever been through it, you know how it can be. The sciatic nerve can just crumple your leg when you try to put weight on it. It's getting better slowly, and I'm hoping to get back to work in a few weeks.

However, because my wife is so cool, she bought me a lap top so I can have something to do besides read and watch TV all day. At least I'll be able to keep up with IN.

Hmm

Where should I start.....Never mind the back stories go on for years.

Anyway. I had a seperated bulge and an attached bulge, both the size of your thimb from the first knuckle to the tip, removed from L3-L4

I had a bulge about the diameter of a pencil 3/4 the way around L5-S1 removed three months after that. Both operations I was operated on the afternoon around 3 to 5:30 and left the hospital with my bottle of Tylox the next morning about 10:30.

I have leaky discs on all the lower disks. I have bulges in all the upper discs buy the kneck.

Last but not least the little wings that keep your back from turning to far are worn out on the lower back and sometimes all I have to do is sneeze while I turn my head to the side and drop to my knees with weeks of recovery while working until the swelling goes away from the compressed nerve bundles.

I guess I am telling you this to le you know that on those days where you go down to your knees and have to crawl on your belly to your vehicle or to get to a phone to call for help (seriously, been there , done that)..............You will get better no matter how much you are hurting.

The absolute worse thing you could possibly do is lay around or sit around. If you don't use it you will lose it. Seriously. That is the best advise I could possibly give you. Use it or you will lose it.

Good luck and I wish you the best. You have a long road ahead of you. Get out there and inspect, inspect, inspect

Oh yeah

For those times when I bend and twist to the left and my back goes out. Ibuprofen and an incline table to hang upside down on to take the pressure off of your back. My table is set up in the bedroom all the time.

Thats funny. I am 55 with all those back concerns and I still go tubing getting dragged behind a boat.

Never say die. Never give up. Enjoy life

Hope you are feeling better each day Jim.

As a side note, I use a track ball even with my laptop. I find it easier.

I've been taking short walks twice a day, to keep the muscles loose. I should start physical therapy on Monday, assuming I can make it to the place. My wife has an extra USB mouse, and I think I'll set that up with the lap top to make things a little quicker. I am starting to get used to the touchpad, but I keep hitting it with my thumbs.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Hello Jim. Look for a thin button in the trim between the keyboard and the touchpad. If your laptop has that, it's a lockout for the touchpad when you are typing. Get well soon.

Yeah, I do use that lock out button sometimes. Today was a pretty good day. I'm supposed to start physical therapy tomorrow, so hopefully I can get out of the house and over to the gym. My blood pressure has been a tad too low. I think it's the meds working a little too well, so I need to see if I can reduce my dosage tomorrow if I can reach the doc.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Mitchell Toelle Guest

Try getting a wireless mouse Jim. They make things feel much better. Get well quickly.