Default Access to garage and framing on grade.

Home was built in 01. The whole neighborhood was this way. There are two garages one integrated in the home the other abutted to the side of the home. Home is on a slab. The framing on the front of the garages is at grade height, Not 6" off the ground. The cement fiber siding is actually below the driveway. How can this happen and not been called out? It is incorrect right?

Second question. The stand alone garage has only the entrance. There is no window or side door. Is this allowed. I thought you needed a emergency egress?????

I'm working on the report and have to get it out shortly before my next inspection. Any input would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Default Re: Access to garage and framing on grade.

The framing on the front of the garages is at grade height, Not 6" off the ground. The cement fiber siding is actually below the driveway. How can this happen and not been called out? It is incorrect right?

Not likely, but could be treated wood. Cement siding is allowed at grade.

Second question. The stand alone garage has only the entrance. There is no window or side door. Is this allowed. I thought you needed a emergency egress?????
    NO REQUIRMENT for a door or window.

I suggest you write it up as you see it.
    Stating only what you can see.
    "If in doubt, Call it out."

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Does the gas water have sufficient makeup air?
    Does the WH have impact protection? I did not see any.
    All wood in contact with concrete must be PT, even trim.
    Is there a light and switch in the garage? I don't see one.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

The garage door trim is not treated wood and is in contact with the driveway. The mud sill is treated wood but the studs are not viewable. The code calls for sill is Minimum 6" from grade is it not. Also the siding is 2" clearance from surface. The siding corner boards are wood composite fiber and is embedded in the concrete.

There was a light in the garage and a stop block mounted to the floor. There was also no access to the attic area above that side garage. Would that not have to be accessible?

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

mike,
    the cement siding requires a 2" clearance to grade if grade is a sidewalk or paved driveway per listing. no door or window required and an access opening is required if there is 30" of headroom in the attic.

Thanks for the quick responses. It's hard to tell by those pictures but that is siding not the foundation and it is below the concrete in areas. The walls of the openings of the garage are level with the driveway (not Raised).
    From the exterior gable wall you can see that the attic above it is more then 30"

I'm off to my second Inspection and I am not sending this report yet until I give it more thought. I'm calling out all of the above no matter what. I just replaced the opening of a friends house because the garage side trim was in contact with the concrete. Termites ate the studs out of both sides of the opening. Had to Jack it up and replace the studs on both sides.

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    How can this happen and not been called out? It is incorrect right?
    Someone ... er ... MANY people ... not paying attention at: design, plan review, framing, framing inspection, sheathing installation, sheathing inspection, siding installation, and final inspection.

And, yes, it is wrong, all parts of it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Hardi Plank requires 2" at steps decks etc. But they require 6" around the foundation.
    Hard to believe a couple of hundred homes where done this way and nobody complained.

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com