Default 7 year old construction

I had to shake my head.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Critical Home Inspection Services
    www.Home2Spec.com

Default Re: 7 year old construction

Did you mean this house was constructed by a seven-year-old kid?

I especially like the cut trusses. Nice work!

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Jon Randolph Guest

Homeowner Quote - "Now why in the world would you try to sell me an inspection on a new home? What could possibly be wrong with a home of this age?"

BTW, I inspected one this week that was only 3 years old with a 1/2" wide (at the top) v shaped crack in the foundation under a steel girder. Home also had radon at a level of 13.7.

First photo:
    1) There 'could be' a flashing there, I would be careful about stating 'No flashing'.
    2) I would add, at the gutter discharging onto the roof 'which could lead to premature shingle failure'.
    3) Is that another exposed nail up under the gutter?

Next photo - Smurf is not allowed for that use either. Also, looks like a leak on the valve too.

Last photo - Instead of stating on the photo 'metal is recommended', state 'plastic and foil is prohibited, must rigid metal or flexible metal'. (Not to mention that it is crushed down in size at the ultra sharp bend to the wall, which is not allowed either.)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Those are some great pictures. I'm not sure I have ever seen a framing job quite that bad. And I'm certain I've never seen one in a seaward hurricane zone, at least not in the last 10 years. Not that it matters on a job that bad, but I don't see any clips or spacing otherise in the decking. Was any present?

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Randolph View Post
    BTW, I inspected one this week that was only 3 years old with a 1/2" wide (at the top) v shaped crack in the foundation under a steel girder. Home also had radon at a level of 13.7.
    As I'm sure you know, the elevated radon cannot be blamed on poor building practices.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Breedlove View Post
    As I'm sure you know, the elevated radon cannot be blamed on poor building practices.
    To an extent, it can.

If you are a builder building in an area with elevated radon, NOT building in radon resistance and mitigation systems is (in my opinion) "poor building practices".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Many builders feel that if they include a radon mitigation system (passive or active) in their new homes it draws attention to radon and may make potential buyers think the house must have had a serious radon problem if it was bad enough for the builder to put in a mitigation system. As backward as that thinking is it is pretty common.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Bruce;
    It might as well have been........

Jerry;
    as usual... advice worth heeding. My summary page stated rigid metal for vent, I told my client that by the time a plumber was called in, he might just as well spring for a new unit. I used the words "Premature shingle failure" sounds like words from a male enhancement ad. Lots of exposed nails.

Thom; "h" clips were there. Like it mattered, with the rest of the job being done the way it was.

Here's some more pics:

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    www.Home2Spec.com

New construction last week. $1m+.
    Many framing errors. In addition to this mess, the lintel over the garage 2 bay o.h. door was deflected with separation in the mortar at 3 locations - probably all undersized to carry the large brick veneer dormer above

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

I think that Brians post (another thread) was dead on.
    You can import all the cheap labor you need, but,
    "It doesn’t matter if the laborers are from Mexico, Mars or MIT. If they haven’t been taught how to build a house right, they will screw things up"

www.Home2Spec.com