Kevin Luce Guest

Default Roof Certification

Had a Realtor call me asking when a roofer certifies a roof, what does that really mean time wise? This Realtor thought the certification is informing the bank that the roof is good for at least 2 years. I'm guessing that the paper he received from the roofer reads that the roof is serviceable (my wording), but the bank doesn't know what the wording he used really means.

Is a roof certification like a NPMA-33 form where there is wording talking about limitations and expectations?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Roof Certification

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    Had a Realtor call me asking when a roofer certifies a roof, what does that really mean time wise?
    Kevin,

I would say that t roof certification is only for EXACTLY what it states, nothing more, and quite frankly, probably less.

If there is no time stated, then the roofer is certifying that the roof will last an unknown period of time - and that roofer is ABSOLUTELY correct.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    Had a Realtor call me asking when a roofer certifies a roof, what does that really mean time wise? This Realtor thought the certification is informing the bank that the roof is good for at least 2 years. I'm guessing that the paper he received from the roofer reads that the roof is serviceable (my wording), but the bank doesn't know what the wording he used really means.

Is a roof certification like a NPMA-33 form where there is wording talking about limitations and expectations?
    Most likely for an FHA or VA loan. They both want the roof to have 2 or more years of remaining life. This is done by the appraiser and if the appraiser does not think it has 2 years of life remaining they flag it. I bet that this was done and the owner or agent had a roofing contractor provide the so called certification. This link should help HUD FHA HOC Reference Quide Roofs and Attics

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 10-25-2009 at 08:44 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Kevin Luce Guest

I've talked to the Realtor since and he elaborated on the reason for the question. The buyer had a home inspection on his listing. The home inspector recommended having the roof certified by a roofing company. The response from the buyers agent was that the "roof need to be certified by a licensed roofer" - nothing more. He had a roofer go out and they certified that the house and garage roof will last at least 2 years. The buyers agent informed the listing agent that the garage needed to be certified for 3 years and the house needed to be certified for 5 years. Since the response from the buyers agent was poorly written only asking for the roof to be certified, the listing agent feels he upheld the written agreement. On top of that, he was questioning the 3 & 5 year thing. This is why he called me.

I informed him I never heard of the 3 year, 5 year requirement.

Sorry for the original post. I was driving, I don't know what he was doing, but when we talked the second time, the situation and what he was asking was much clearer.

Last edited by Kevin Luce; 10-25-2009 at 09:31 AM. Reason: added the last sentence.

A.D. Miller Guest

A manufacturer-approved contactor is required except in Texas where the dumb-ass inspectors think that the TDI license actually means something.