Ryan Stouffer Guest

Default Roof flashing and install

Does this look correct? I can't even tell what they did here. There is a bunch of sealant in this area. And it looks like they pieced the roof together. Also, correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't the metal flashing go behind the siding?

Thanks,

Ryan

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Roof flashing and install

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stouffer View Post
    Does this look correct? I can't even tell what they did here. There is a bunch of sealant in this area. And it looks like they pieced the roof together.
    Doesn't look right to me either. I would probably have cut the panel completely across and then lapped the material like a shingle. But, I have never installed metal roof, so I could very well be wrong.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't the metal flashing go behind the siding?
    Only if you don't want it to leak at that roof/wall connection.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Gunnar, what do you think about the flashing? I think it should be under the siding.

Derek Kelly Guest

hey Ryan the flashing should be behind the siding.It looks like a handyman on the liquor!! lol

Gunnar, what do you think about the flashing? I think it should be under the siding.
    I did comment on that, in my sarcastic way. You are correct. It might be possible to counterflash.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

In addition to the botched valley and the leaky wall junction, look at where the fasteners are at the eaves. They should only be on the high ridges.
    Also, that type of roofing should only be used on sheds and barns, where a few small leaks won't be noticed. Because it will leak.

Frank Suchodolski Guest

I might not leak if the roof underneath is still good. I've seen this kind detail too much, unfortunately for the home owners. The valley should end on a split panel. This looks like a roof over, a cheap one too. Exposed fastener metal roofing, like this one are marginal as a barn roof much less on a house. My advice is tear it off, along with the roof or roofs underneath and start fresh.

Frank Suchodolski, RRO

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Suchodolski View Post
    I might not leak if the roof underneath is still good. I've seen this kind detail too much, unfortunately for the home owners. The valley should end on a split panel. This looks like a roof over, a cheap one too. Exposed fastener metal roofing, like this one are marginal as a barn roof much less on a house. My advice is tear it off, along with the roof or roofs underneath and start fresh.

Frank Suchodolski, RRO
    Frank,

Am I safe to assume you are a roofer. Looks like the Vancouver winter weather has set in and given you a chance to catch up here.

When I see a metal roof or any roof installed with poor workmanship like this I recommend that a certified roofing contractor familiar with this type of installation review the entire roof.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Frank Suchodolski Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    When I see a metal roof or any roof installed with poor workmanship like this I recommend that a certified roofing contractor familiar with this type of installation review the entire roof.
    If you have a good roofing contractor that you trust, but a roof inspector might give better information for your clients, as roofers tend to look at roofs and think re-roof first ask questions later.

Am I safe to assume you are a roofer. Looks like the Vancouver winter weather has set in and given you a chance to catch up here.
    2" of snow on the ground (and roofs) makes it hard to get around (all the stalled and spun out cars) and the roofs are a tad slick,, not too many roofers out there will get up on the roof. If the snow sticks for longer than a week then the roofers will start snow removal to install new roofing. More headaches for me, LOL.

Frank Suchodolski, RRO