Thread: HWH supplies

Default HWH supplies

New one for me. Doesn't seem correct, anything in IRC to back up; although the hoses do appear to be of serious construction. Seems more DIY to me...

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: HWH supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Neag View Post
    New one for me. Doesn't seem correct, anything in IRC to back up; although the hoses do appear to be of serious construction. Seems more DIY to me...
    Ross,

I assume that this is above a water heater. Around here, flexible connectors are pretty much standard, but our earth moves occasionally and flexible connectors can help prevent leaks. However, most of the flexible connectors that I see are either braided stainless steel or the flexible copper type. I have not seen that type before. Did it have the UPC or IAPMO seal on it? If not, then I would say no.

I have seen some posts from other inspectors on this board saying that water heaters must be hard piped in their area. Are flexible connectors allowed in the windy city?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I found a past post regarding this type and they are acceptable for hwhs. This was actually just outside the city where things change again. I like the idea of flexible supply piping as well as the small trap to reduce standby losses provided it is installed properly and conforms. I'll follow up with village for my own .02. Thanks for reply...

Ross

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

No.

Supply and Distribution min size 3/4" and must be of the approved materials in the Illinois Plumbing Code. Rarely are Washing machine hoses 3/4", irrespective, not approved materials for supply or distribution for potable water Cold or Hot.

Water Heaters are not general "Plumbing Fixtures" according to the Illinois Plumbing Code.
    Water Heater/s is/are a: "Plumbing Appliance": A special class of plumbing fixture intended to perform a special function. This term includes water heaters, water coolers, drinking fountains, heat exchanger and water treatment equipment other than water softeners.

The inlet is part of the Service Supply system from the Cold Water Branch Line (as in this portion of the code: "Water Heating Equpment. A shut-off valve shall be provided in the cold water branch line within 5 feet of each water storage tank or each water heater.") and the outlet is the begining of the Hot Water Distribution System.

Illinois Plumbing Code:
    PART 890 ILLINOIS PLUMBING CODE : Sections Listing

See 890.1200, 890.1210, 890.1220, 890.350, 890.320 And Appendix A, Table A (scroll down approx 1/3rd way down to portions titled in bold "Approved Materials for Water Distribution Pipe" and "Approved Materials for Water Supply" see also in same Table "Approved Standards for Plumbing Appliances/Appurtenances/Devices".

Here is a quick link to Table A of Appendix A:
    http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/...ZZ9996aaR.html

By the way, if that glass block behind your hand in the picture is to the outdoors the system would also not be adequately protected from freezing in NE Illinois (which is known to have sustained periods of minus 0 degrees F in the winter).

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 10-26-2009 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Attached images.

OH MY GOD!!!

We have to alert the million or more home owners with glass block basement windows in Northern Illinois and beyond that they are at risk for frozen pipes!!!

Thank you for that firmly stated and oh so wise comment!!

Dan Cullen
    www.domicileconsulting.com
    Chicago IL

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cullen View Post
    OH MY GOD!!!

We have to alert the million or more home owners with glass block basement windows in Northern Illinois and beyond that they are at risk for frozen pipes!!!

Did you even look at the blow up of the attached image and note the proximity to the surface of the window/bubbleglass/glassblock?

Do you have any familiarity to what the Illinois Plumbing Code has to say on the subject? Can you imagine heat tape on the combustible hose?

OP: I believe you referred to the following post string which does not indicate what you alluded to, and shows copper flex to the WH and a host of other issues:
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...html#post46843

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 10-26-2009 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cullen View Post
    OH MY GOD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Did you even look at the blow up of the attached image and note the proximity to the surface of the window/bubbleglass/glassblock?

Do you have any familiarity to what the Illinois Plumbing Code has to say on the subject? Can you imagine heat tape on the combustible hose?
    H.G.,

Just a heads up here ... don't worry about Dan Cullen, he rarely posts here and when he does it is usually attacking a poster for providing information he disagrees with (you this time, usually it has been me).

Not sure about the Chicago Plumbing Code, but the IPC and the IRC, along with almost any other plumbing code, requires that all piping installed outside the thermal envelope of the building be protected from freezing when the building is located above the 32 degree design line (what I call the "freeze line" - which is basically I-10 and north).

That includes attics, crawl spaces, basements, garages, etc.

That flixible hose in the photo is also crimped.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

Thanks for the heads up.

H.G.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Neag View Post
    This was actually just outside the city where things change again...... I'll follow up with village ...
    Ross Neag,

Illinois Plumbing Code (Illinois Department of Public Health) is the authority on what materials have been approved. Village can only further restrict the list (and its not on the approved list). See links and references cited previously.

Thanks much. I had already advised client to upgrade connectors but appreciate the help. Good links and info HG.