Default Bryant breakers in GE panel

Are Bryant breakers acceptable for use in a GE split bus panel?

BTW, this panel was quite crowded and had 3 double tapped piggy back breakers among other things.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Bryant breakers in GE panel

This goes around periodically and I seem to remember it gets a bit convoluted. I always remember modern circuit breakers in 3 catagories:

Cutler Hammer
    Square D
    Everything else (GE, Bryant, Siemens and others)

And, to complicate things, Cutler Hammer and Square D have changed things over the last few years and now are compatible (or more than they used to be) with the other brands.

As for your question I believe they are fine and I don't ever call it out. I'll call the older cutler hammer (can't remember the type but they look very different). As I'm typing this I think even the Sqaure Ds that I once thought weren't okay actually are.

Of course, Fed Pacific, Pushmatic and old Zinsco type would be a no-go in a modern panel (probably wouldn't even fit in the first place).

Short answer, NO.....

Breaker / Panel Interchangability - Mike Holt's Forum

Here's a link to a thread in another forum that gives a little more information about manufacturers, listing, classifiying, etc, etc. My memory was correct.... there is no real cut and dry answer.

what does the label in the panel say ?
    Acceptable breakers to use in a panel should be listed on the panel label.
    Just because they fit or look the same does not mean it is ok to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Are Bryant breakers acceptable for use in a GE split bus panel?
    I think that you will find that some of these "universal" breakers have been tested and approved for multiple panels and some have not. It would be necessary to contact the manufacturer to find out. I have not seen a new Bryant breaker and I think they are no longer being made, so you might not be able to get a useful answer. In my area, the AHJs do not differentiate between breaker brands and will let this go.

When I notice it, I will note that the breakers do not match the panel, but I do not make a big deal of it.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Ron Bibler Guest

From my inspection yesterday. ITE Only. Look at the label it should have the information on what will fly and what will not.

Best

Ron

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

To expand a little bit on this subject....

From the 2008 UL White book
    Panelboards ( QEUY) Page 262
    Paragraph 7

Panelboards to which units (circuit breakers,switches,etc.)may be added in the field are marked with the name or trademark of the manufacturer and the catalog number or equivalent of those units that are intended to be installed in the field. Molded case circuit breakers may also be Classified and marked as being suitable for use in certain panelboards in place of or along with specific units marked on the panelboard.

Basically in a nut shell UL says that any circuit breaker installed in a panelboard must be listed for that panelboard and such a list shall be on the panelboard.

In reality, how much of this do you guys think is a potential problem and how much is the manufacturers just wanting to sell more of their product?

Like the HP voids the warranty of the printer if you use refill ink.

I guess I play it on a case by case basis. On the particular panel in question, it was so crowded, getting to the inside labels to read them is an adventure in its own.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Same thread, but different question.

As long as there are less than 42 breakers in a panel are UL listed piggy backed (space saver) breakers something you should write up as a safety hazard?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    Same thread, but different question.

As long as there are less than 42 breakers in a panel are UL listed piggy backed (space saver) breakers something you should write up as a safety hazard?
    You would have to look at the panel label to determine that, it will state how many are allowed (if any).

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    I guess I play it on a case by case basis. On the particular panel in question, it was so crowded, getting to the inside labels to read them is an adventure in its own.

Thanks for the input everyone.
    Most of the time this information is on the label on the panel cover door

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    You would have to look at the panel label to determine that, it will state how many are allowed (if any).

Not only will it state how many, it will also state *where* as they typically cannot simply be placed 'anywhere' in the panel.

As stated in posts above, you would need to read the labels to see both how many and where.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com