Thread: BAM!!!!!

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default BAM!!!!!

Game 1 and the Phils come out and smack the Yanks square in the mouth. It's only one game but it's a great start. An outstanding night by Lee neutralizing a vaunted Yankee offense. And Utley wasn't too shabby either.

Game 2 tomorrow......Pedro vs. AJ Burnett.

Member Benefits1

Default Re: BAM!!!!!

It's only one game but it's a great start. Let's hope for similar results tomorrow.

Oh, and the umpires didn't screw up the game either. They tried but after discussing it made the correct call. (How did they miss the call in the first place? I got it right and I'm not being paid to make the calls.)

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    It's only one game but it's a great start.
    Hey Nick, don't get your shorts too tight; like you say, it's only one game.

Give credit where it's earned; Lee was terrific!

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Lee was unbelievable.
    And the umps had trouble with that double play because Rollins was being too tricky for everyone, faking that he caught the ball on the bounce.

GO PHILLIES !!!!!!!!!

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

mathew stouffer Guest

I dont' fully grasp all the strategery, but that was kind of a boring game. Go Steelers.

I can see how the game could be viewed as boring considering all the offense came from the Phillies but as a Phillies fan, it was great watching them shut the Yankees down.

Again, it's just one game. Tonigjht, we'll see if Pedro still has some magic left in that hall of fame arm.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    I dont' fully grasp all the strategery, but that was kind of a boring game.
    Strategery???

Personally, I like a pitcher's duel or a game where one pitcher is really on (like Lee was last night). Low scoring games make every play all the more important and make "strategery" more important. But many people find these kinds of games boring (because they don't appreciate the finer points of the game) and prefer a high-scoring game with a lot of offense. (Isn't that what the NFL is for?) Each to his own.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Yeah strategery. It's a Bushism, and it's one of my favorite words.

MaMa Mount Guest

Go Yankees.....

Great pitching from both teams tonight. Burnett was dealing and he kept the Phillies off balance all night. Nice pitching display. Pedro still has it but Burnett was better tonight.

I did notice the strike zone seemed to expand as the night went along for both teams. And both teams benefited from some missed calls to end respective innings. The Phils weren't able to score any runs off Rivera but they did manage to get to him and make things interesting. I have no doubt they can get to him in future games. He's not infallible.

The series is tied at one game a piece which is what I thought the Phillies needed to come back to Philadelphia with.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    The Phils weren't able to score any runs off Rivera but they did manage to get to him and make things interesting. I have no doubt they can get to him in future games. He's not infallible.
    He may NOT be infallible, but he's the CLOSEST there is to it! (and don't ANYONE think that joker in Boston comes close; you know, the guy who cried because he wasn't gonna close the All-star game last year in Yankee Stadium)

I just love it when Jimmy Rollins walks slowly back to the dugout after a strike out...Oh, and that Wearth fella looked pretty bad getting picked off 1st.

With all that said, Jeter made a major blunder bunting with 2 strikes.

'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Your boy A-roid has looked pretty food swinging at nothing but air so far.

OH,

And Howard has just been lighting it up too HUH?

Their both 0 for 8 w/6 strike-outs so I wouldn't talk too loud.

I'll talk plenty loud when the Phils are hoisting that WS trophy again this year.

Hey Nick;

If you guys do win this year (And I doubt you will), then you'll be HALF WAY to the number of rings Derek. MO, Andy and Jorge are wearing....

I guess the motto in Pa is hope for 3 days of rain so Lee can pitch every game huh? Ohhhhhhh

I don't give a crap about past rings and how many the Yankees have and the Phillies don't. It's about this World Series and the games being played now.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Miller View Post
    Hey Nick;

If you guys do win this year (And I doubt you will), then you'll be HALF WAY to the number of rings Derek. MO, Andy and Jorge are wearing....
    Darren,

That kind of arrogance is one of many reasons many people hate the Yankees and their fans.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Breedlove View Post
    Darren,

That kind of arrogance is one of many reasons many people hate the Yankees and their fans.
    Bingo!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Breedlove View Post
    Why, Yankee fans can't be proud and flaunt the fact some guys on our team won 4 rings?

What's arrogant is Jimmy Rollins claiming on national TV that he's gonna win the series in 5 so the home town fans can enjoy it (how's that going)?

Or the fact Cole Hammels goes on NY radio after winning the World Series and states the Mets are chokers (that's real sportmanship). But I'll say it; who spit the bit last night?

Give me one case where any Yankee has diarrhea of the mouth like some of your Phillies do....

Phillies pitching was brutal last night. Hamels doesn't even resemble the pitcher he was in 2008 and gives up an RBI hit to Pettite. Pathetic. I don't think he can be trusted with the ball if this series makes it to 7 games. The bullpen couldn't stabilize things either giving up three more runs. Couple all this with three o'fers in a row from Victorino, Utley, and Howard and you have an ugly game.

Sabathia vs. Blanton tonight. Time for the Phils to get back on track and even this up. That's what great about the World Series. A team can lose soundly one night and come back the next night for redemption.

GO PHILS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Miller View Post
    Why, Yankee fans can't be proud and flaunt the fact some guys on our team won 4 rings?

What's arrogant is Jimmy Rollins claiming on national TV that he's gonna win the series in 5 so the home town fans can enjoy it (how's that going)?

Or the fact Cole Hammels goes on NY radio after winning the World Series and states the Mets are chokers (that's real sportmanship). But I'll say it; who spit the bit last night?

Give me one case where any Yankee has diarrhea of the mouth like some of your Phillies do....
    I'll agree with you on everything you said here Darren except the part about flaunting rings (obnoxious - it's like pointing to your bank account or cars and saying "Look at this"). If Rollins or Hamels were on another team, I'd probably think they were jerks for some of the things they've said. Philadelphia has had plenty of players in all sports that I've said I'd hate if he was on another team. When they're on your team, you overlook their abrasive nature or quotes because they are helping your teams win.

I don't dislike the Yankees or their players. There are guys on that team who are nothing but class acts and are good representatives for the sport. Yankee fans on the other hand is where the teams earns it's distain amongst fans. It's not all Yankee fans. Just the loud obnoxious ones who trumpet "How many rings do you have?" The technical answer to that question if it were posed to me by a Yankee fan would be "I have no rings, just like you. The players are the ones with the rings. And those rings by the way mean nothing in relation to the series going on right now."

You can keep talking about all the rings and Championships the Yanks have but it'll just continue to fuel people's dislike of the team and their fans.

You guys keep talking about the dislike of the Yankee fan.
    Think how this looks to the world:

A-Rod gets drilled 3 times in 2 games and the ball-park erupts every time like someone hit a home-run.

What's up with that?

Utley hit another HR off of CC; you would think someone would drill him or Wearth (or at least knock them down); but they never do; yet A-rod get nailed 3 times...

Oh; SOMEBODY'S got to cover 3rd base!
    Can Lee pitch another gem tonight to get the series back to NY? Stayed tuned!

Last night was absolutely crushing to watch as a Phillies fan. That 8th-9th inning had it all. They drag themselves out of the grave only to slip on the banana peel and fall right back in. Last night was the swan song of Lidge's season.

Right now Darren, I'd hit A-roid square in the back every time if I thought it gave us a better chance of winning. We're on life support and all bets are off.

LIFE!!! WE HAVE LIFE!!! I Don't care if Cliff Lee is the only pitcher getting it done. We're moving on to game 6. And the bats woke up. Pedro will get a chance to flash some of that magic and the bats seem to have woken up. Thank God for Chase Utley.

GO PHILS!!!!!!

With the way Lee pitched in the first game, this was a game I conceded before it began.
    My concern is if the manager was thinking along with me, why'd he start AJ (and now Andy) on 3 days rest. He should have thrown someone else and had the other guys on regular rest.

Who's on first?
    Whats on second..
    NOBODY'S on third....

I know it won't happen with Andy, but somebody's got to put Utley on his butt!

Oh, and A-Rod is waking up, so watch out.

The only way you'll put Utley on his butt at the plate is if you throw at his head. Even that might not work. He was hit by pitches more than any other player in the NL this year and he has no problem staying in there and getting plunked. Plunk away. Just stay away from the hands. Speaking of that, I don't know how healthy Victorino's hand is after that one got away from Burnett last night. I thought for sure something was broken in his hand but they said x-rays were negative.

The win loss records of teams trying to get by with 3 starters in the WS series isn't good either. I hope the Yanks can add to that loss total.

Default Breaking news from New York

Phillie Phanatic on the loose!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

I gotta admit; The Philly Phanatic is the BEST mascot in pro sports.

In the movies, doesn't whoever climbs the Empire State building end up losing the fight?

Ugh!!! I couldn't watch the celebration.

Yanks were just better. Just saying that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Last night the NY Yankees won their 27 world championship; the most by any American sports team.

Even with the score 7-3. I didn't feel comfortable until Mo came in at which time you could have said 'put it in the books'.

With all the talk about 3-days rest, Andy was terrific but the man of the Hour was Matsui; Home run, double and single with 6 RBI's WOW!

I do tip my hat to the Phillies; like I said, I felt like even with a 4 run lead, we were always in danger until Mo.

Like John Sterling says:

"Ballgame over, Yankees win....Theeeeeeeeeee Yankeesssssssss WIN!"

Jimmy Rollins; Just SHUT-UP!!!!

After losing to the Yankees in the World Series, your boy Jimmy goes on TV claiming the Phillies are a better team than the Yankees; it's just that the Yankees make the plays and got the hits when they needed them.

DUH! Isn't that what the better team does?

It's so bad now, even the PTI guys took Jimmy to task on these comments.

Congrats to most of the Phillies for a terrific season; but how in the world do they put up with such an arrogant idiot?

I guess he went back in line twice for talent; but skipped the line where you get grace and class.

Uh.....Darren? What's this we hear about A-roid having a centaur portrait of himself hanging over the bed in his room? What's this we hear about A-roid admitting to steroid use/cheating?

Arrogant idiot? No. Freak and a cheat? Yeah.

I didn't see the interviews where Rollins said those things but that's just stupidity on his part. If the Phils were better, they would have won. They didn't, therefore, the Yanks were better.

As for how in the the world do we put up with an arrogant idiot? You can be the world's biggest a$$ but as long as you produce on the field and give effort, I don't care how you live your life.

Nick;

here's a little article on your boy Jimmy:

Jimmy Rollins | River Avenue Blues

You can also get PTI's podcast for Thursday and listen to what they were saying about him.

During the ceremony after the Parade thru the Canyon of Heroes, the only shot taken was at your boy Jimmy when the Mayor of NYC said he was gonna send the mayor of Philly a "new crystal ball for Jimmy Rollins."

Now, your Phillies picked-up Cliff Lees option for next year; they better lock him up with an extended contract NOW; the Yankee fans hear Lee & CC are best friends and they were talking in Cleveland about winning a WS together. Since CC's locked up for 7 years, Lees gotta come to NY for that to happen!!

What were they saying about A-roid's centaur portrait and past steroid use?

Nick;

Whatever happens in the bedroom, should stay in the bedroom NO?

Gee, I still have my Farah Fawcett poster over my bed!!!!

As far as the steroid go; it's pretty much assumed 90% of players used them; that's why it's called the 'steroid era'. It just that A-Rod, along with Ortiz got caught. A-rod FINALLY admitted it, asked for and got forgiveness from Yankee fans. Oh, by the way, baseball didn't suspend him did they?

I'm sure more names are coming from the list; and don't be surprised if a Phillies name is one of them.

As the BOSS wrote in his letter to the fans:

"The quest for number 28 begins!"

Phillies news has already started coming fast. They picked up Cliff Lee's option for 2010 (no surprise), told Bret Myers they are not extendiing his contract, and Brad Lide is getting elbow surgery to remove loose bodies (hmmmmmmmm).