mathew stouffer Guest

Default Water heater vent connector

I see this quite often, vent connector lacking 12 inches vertical extension. Where specifically is this stated as a requirement, or is this a manufactures requirement.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Buist Langley Guest

Default Re: Water heater vent connector

The mfg recommends at least 12" straight off the tank for good draft.

Chuck Lambert Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    I see this quite often, vent connector lacking 12 inches vertical extension. Where specifically is this stated as a requirement, or is this a manufactures requirement.
    Try looking here

http://www.bradfordwhite.com/images/...-47656-00B.pdf

Chuck

walter bailey Guest

Please tell me that vent is not connected to the flexible aluminum vent pipe I can see to the right.
    If not, how much distance till it exits the building envelope?

Chuck Lambert Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walter bailey View Post
    Please tell me that vent is not connected to the flexible aluminum vent pipe I can see to the right.
    If not, how much distance till it exits the building envelope?
    What is wrong with flexible B-vent piping?

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lambert View Post
    Try looking here
    Chuck,

I was unable to find any requirement for 12". There is a diagram at the end of the instructions that shows a vertical between the draft hood and the first elbow, but no specific length. Where is it?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Boy, they squeezed that critter in that little space! How is the make-up air being supplied?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

To me it looks like there is at least 12" vertical extension to where the WH vent meets the connector. Does it really have to be straight for 12"?

I can't imagine that the gas really cares that much if it has to make a turn, as long as it is still going up. Maybe it has something to do with backdrafting from the furnace. Even then, I would think it had more to do with the total length of the vent before meeting the connector.

Dennis Krouse Guest

Where does that flexible vent come from and connect too? I would be more concerned about that. The water heater is connected to vent, not a vent connector.

Cool vent connector rise

The gas code charts start with a min. 12" vertical rise. for connectors plus some mfrs. prefer that as a min. However, 90% of all WHs I've ever seen have an elblow stuck right on the draft hood.

The problem with lack of vent rise is flue restriction. Anything other than a glass smooth perfectly vertical round conduit is a vent restriction. You are putting a HUGE restriction right on top of an opening in the venting that was DESIGNED to spill fumes so it often does by path of least resistance. Add some vertical rise and you get a head of steam up so to speak.

That vent connector is unsupported and has insufficient clearance to some wires and stuff. I'd like to see them change the anode rod in that unit. They would have trouble even with a segmented replacement, not that anybody changes anode rods, esp. on a BW brand. IF that flex is listed connector and properly installed and supported with clearances and sized then what's the issue? IF, IF, IF.....

That B-vent really should have used a 'draft hood connector' to connect to the draft hood, since that's why they make draft hood connectors. Gee. Hard to tell if that is 4" B-vent on a 3" collar or not.

Double check the mfrs. stated clearances around and off the WH.

Any more pics on the rest of that venting?

Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.