Thread: Basement egress

Default Basement egress

Any thoughts on this egress. It appears too small to me.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Basement egress

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Any thoughts on this egress. It appears too small to me.
    That appears to be intended living space. In my opinion, it's a nice try, but nope. I'm going to assume that's 2 wells, but either way, I'd write it up.

The egress needs to be minimum 9 sq ft, minimum and a minimum height and widths of 3 feet. Additionally, basement emergency egress windows must open to expose the full space. These appear to be sliding windows. The openings will be half of what you see. The bars can be there, as long as they provide the same egress dimensions and so long as they don't require tools, keys, or special instructions or knowledge to open.

Go to section 310 in the IRC. There are some other provisos if the egress is 44 inches or more below grade level.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

It appears too small to me.
    "Appearances" can be deceiving, measurements are not.

What did it "measure"?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Wayne,
    It may help on egress to think about a firefighter with breathing apparatus in an emergency situation needing to get through that window.

They are 16x36, but sliders. One side only so 16x36 working area. I know for sure a broker would never fit through. Did pass local code inspector who made them put in the nice stairway. Exterior all easily removable and not a problem.

Bob White Guest

That little stairway is a hoot.

Richard Rushing Guest

That little stairway might be a hoot, but it is required to bring that window into compliance. From the looks of it, it probably was 44" or less from the top of the stairs to the window.

Just thinking out loud here.... but anyone who would take the time to put the stairs there, has some idea of the egress requirements. I would certainly want to know what the window measured before saying it was too small.

My bet it was just big'nuff. But, like I said it needs to have been measured.

Richard

Bob White Guest

They are 16x36, but sliders. One side only so 16x36 working area. .....
    gotta be at least 20" wide, right? (the opening, that is....)

Last edited by Bob White; 06-14-2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: fer claritee.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob White View Post
    gotta be at least 20" wide, right? (the opening, that is....)

It's also only 4 sq ft instead of 5 sq ft opening size.

What was the measured width of the stair treads between the rails? 36" minimum, I hope.

What about the riser height and the tread depth?

Just way to many things to go wrong there, and the two you've provided measurements on are both wrong ... so there is no way to make the rest 'right', even if the stair is 'wide enough' and the risers and treads 'are correct', that does not offset the fact that the width and size are both too small.

Add to that, if that room is 12' x 12', the opening size needs to be 5.76 sf just to met minimum natural ventilation.

And twice that for minimum natural light, twice 5.76 = 11.52, and twice the opening size of 4 = 8,

So not we have (if that room is 12' x 12') four things wrong - MINIMUM - with that window.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Basement egressess are different. I don't have this on disk and am too lazy to type it all. All in section 310.1 through 310.2.1. There are several changes in the 2006 IRC.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Ed Ochs Guest

Post Re: Basement egress

Since it hasn't been mentioned(from a designer's stand point) egress is a means of exit, and speaking from Wisconsin Uniform Dwelling Code, (IRC is in the mail), there has to be two exits from habitable space.
    Is there a stairway to the garage AND to the upper floor,(those would have to be more than half the longest diagonal of the basement, apart).

I agree that little stairway is a hoot...
    Our State requires 20"x24" (either way)-5.7 sq. ft. which still does not help your situation, but the rest might help shed some light on egress req.
    Not to mention I'm trying to get my posts up...

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Walker View Post
    Basement egressess are different. I don't have this on disk and am too lazy to type it all. All in section 310.1 through 310.2.1. There are several changes in the 2006 IRC.
    Copy and Paste!

- R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue required.
    - - Basements and every sleeping room shall have at least one operable emergency and rescue opening. Such opening shall open directly into a public street, public alley, yard or court. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, emergency egress and rescue openings shall be required in each sleeping room, but shall not be required in adjoining areas of the basement. Where emergency escape and rescue openings are provided they shall have a sill height of not more than 44 inches (1118 mm) above the floor. Where a door opening having a threshold below the adjacent ground elevation serves as an emergency escape and rescue opening and is provided with a bulkhead enclosure, the bulkhead enclosure shall comply with Section R310.3. The net clear opening dimensions required by this section shall be obtained by the normal operation of the emergency escape and rescue opening from the inside. Emergency escape and rescue openings with a finished sill height below the adjacent ground elevation shall be provided with a window well in accordance with Section R310.2. Emergency escape a yard or court that opens to a public way.
    - - - Exception:
    - - - - Basements used only to house mechanical equipment and not exceeding total floor area of 200 square feet (18.58 m2).
    - - R310.1.1 Minimum opening area.
    - - - All emergency escape and rescue openings shall have a minimum net clear opening of 5.7 square feet (0.530 m2).
    - - - Exception:
    - - - - Grade floor openings shall have a minimum net clear opening of 5 square feet (0.465 m2).
    - - R310.1.2 Minimum opening height.
    - - - The minimum net clear opening height shall be 24 inches (610 mm).
    - - R310.1.3 Minimum opening width.
    - - - The minimum net clear opening width shall be 20 inches (508 mm).
    - - R310.1.4 Operational constraints.
    - - - Emergency escape and rescue openings shall be operational from the inside of the room without the use of keys, tools or special knowledge.

- R310.2 Window wells.
    - - The minimum horizontal area of the window well shall be 9 square feet (0.9 m2), with a minimum horizontal projection and width of 36 inches (914 mm). The area of the window well shall allow the emergency escape and rescue opening to be fully opened.
    - - - Exception:
    - - - - The ladder or steps required by SectionR310.2.1 shall be permitted to encroach a maximum of 6 inches (152 mm) into the required dimensions of the window well.

- - R310.2.1 Ladder and steps.
    - - - Window wells with a vertical depth greater than 44 inches (1118 mm) shall be equipped with a permanently affixed ladder or steps usable with the window in the fully open position. Ladders or steps required by this section shall not be required to comply with Sections R311.5 and R311.6. Ladders or rungs shall have an inside width of at least 12 inches (305 mm), shall project at least 3 inches (76 mm) from the wall and shall be spaced not more than 18 inches (457 mm) on center vertically for the full height of the window well.

- R310.3 Bulkhead enclosures.
    - - Bulkhead enclosures shall provide direct access to the basement. The bulkhead enclosure with the door panels in the fully open position shall provide the minimum net clear opening required by Section R310.1.1. Bulkhead enclosures shall also comply with Section R311.5.8.2.

The emergency egress windows must meet the same requirements as all emergency egress windows.

The stair inside must meet the same requirements as all stairs and landings.
    ONLY the steps/stairs/ladders in the window well area are not required to meet the requirements for stairs and ramps.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 06-15-2007 at 08:55 AM.
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

thanks guys. Good info. Clients confused and brokers pissed so I guess we've done our job! HAHA WAyne

Thanks for copying and pasting. I haven't had the codes on disc since my last set turned out to be corrupted and I went through computer Hell for about a month. I guess it's time to try again. My truck looks like a feekin' library.

- Paul Fix