Timothy Mines Guest

Default No Sheetrock On Garage Ceiling

I have a garage ceiling that has no sheetrock and it has living space above it. I'm recommending it to be covered with sheetrock, because of toxic fumes, fireblocking etc. It does have insulation and also a sprinkler system. Does the sprinkler system make this legal? If so, what about CO2 from automobiles?

http://www.amthomeinspections.com/100_2888.jpg

The sprinkler is located by the garage door opener.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: No Sheetrock On Garage Ceiling

Of course you noticed the insulaltion is installed upside down.

The code requires a "seperation" barrier between the garage and living space, not a fire barrier. This has been discussed numerous times, as recently as 10/14. Try searching the forum for "seperation wall"

- R309.2 Separation required. The garage shall be separated from the residence and its attic area by not less than 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board applied to the garage side. Garages beneath habitable rooms shall be separated from all habitable rooms above by not less than 5/8-inch (15.9 mm) Type X gypsum board or equivalent. Where the separation is a floor-ceiling assembly, the structure supporting the separation shall also be protected by not less than 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board or equivalent. Garages located less than 3 feet (914 mm) from a dwelling unit on the same lot shall be protected with not less than 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board applied to the interior side of exterior walls that are within this area. Openings in these walls shall be regulated by Section R309.1. This provision does not apply to garage walls that are perpendicular to the adjacent dwelling unit wall.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Timothy Mines Guest

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it.

Yes I did notice that it is upside down.

Excuse my lack of searching before asking, new to the forum...... okay no excuse.

Thanks again!

Hi Tim, normally min one layer 5/8" is required here if there is living space above the garage. Having a sprinkler head generally reduces other requirements. The drywall may not be required based on the sprinkler head. However I think that is the least of your potential questions. Other things to consider:
    - What Code are you under?
    - What is that sprinkler head attached to, is it a legit install or a DIY? Attached to a proper automatic system or just a shut-off valve? The assumption being ...' if a fire starts in the garage, I'll just run out there turn the valve on and the sprinkler head will put it out'. (Don't laugh too hard I've seen it). Is the head a wet or dry system?
    - Insulation not properly installed; so much for keeping the cold off the upstairs floor
    - With that sprinkler head close to the opener, I would recommend putting the opener on a GFI, just in case. Not like any of it will really matter if the car is on fire.
    - those 6" runouts don't look very well supported
    - If you recommend installing rock, which I would, make sure to note that there will be additional installation costs for the job beyond just 'hanging drywall'. Fix insulation, deal with ducts, wires and plumbing
    - is that a PVC 90 on the left side of the pic? Tub drain, where's the trap, does it need freeze protection?
    - Is there a floor drain in the garage, is the floor sloped outward? If the thing goes off for some reason besides a major fire, where is the water going to go? I would note that in the report.
    Whenever I do a place with sprinklers I note in the report that the client should check their homeowners insurance that they are properly covered. Water damage can be extensive.
    - If it is an actual sprinkler system, not a DIY, are you recommending they have it checked by a qualified tech or are you going to make assumptions and screw yourself?
    - I've looked at and done some basic training with wet/dry sprinkler systems and know the basics. I wouldn't however consider myself qualified enough to sign off on one. Just sayin'.
    Good luck

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Timothy Mines Guest

Thank Markus!

I know nothing about sprinkler system at all. I'll definetly add that he needs to have someone come in and inspect it.

Lots of great info here.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    normally min one layer 5/8" is required here if there is living space above the garage. Having a sprinkler head generally reduces other requirements. The drywall may not be required based on the sprinkler head.
    Agree with Markus - the sprinkler does not negate the requirement for a minimum of 5/8" Type X gypsum board separation between the garage and the living space above it, nor for the minimum 1/2" gypsum board requirement for protection of the columns and other framing supporting the structure above.

The sprinkler install does not look like a DIY install. On the other hand, the PVC along the wall does not look at though it is properly secured and supported at 4' intervals maximum (looks more than 4').

Also lack of support for that round duct (return duct?). Why is that not insulated too, it is outside the thermal envelope of the house?

Additionally, I'm not comfortable with the flat plates used at the tops of those metal columns which have no good means of laterally retaining the beam/girder above them.

Just some more thoughts to go along with what has been stated in previous posts.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

- With that sprinkler head close to the opener, I would recommend putting the opener on a GFI, just in case. Not like any of it will really matter if the car is on fire.
    Is there really a shock hazard, Markus? If the car's on fire, I'd want to be able to open that garage door and drag it out, but maybe that's the redneck approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    - Is there a floor drain in the garage, is the floor sloped outward? If the thing goes off for some reason besides a major fire, where is the water going to go? I would note that in the report.
    Whenever I do a place with sprinklers I note in the report that the client should check their homeowners insurance that they are properly covered. Water damage can be extensive.
    - If it is an actual sprinkler system, not a DIY, are you recommending they have it checked by a qualified tech or are you going to make assumptions and screw yourself?
    That is all good advice. We tend to take sprinklers for granted - yep, that's safe.