Default Who is to blame on this one

This was a first for me.. The cable was not buried more than 2-3" throughout the property. What do you guys think about this?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Richard Flores
    Professional Inspector TREC # 8139
    www.premier-rgv.com

Default Re: Who is to blame on this one

That has GOT to be a temp service that slipped through the cracks. Hell, the meter pan cover is even hanging off.

That's also a 200A MP and the cable does not look like 200A to me. Hell, look at that house in the background. Seems like a higher end neighborhood.

Lets hope someone is not robbing power from the neighbor next door.

Who is to blame? Since you found it, you are.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    That has GOT to be a temp service that slipped through the cracks. Hell, the meter pan cover is even hanging off.

That's also a 200A MP and the cable does not look like 200A to me. Hell, look at that house in the background. Seems like a higher end neighborhood.
    His location says he's in the South. I think Rick has it pegged! Sombody getten some free electricity .

This is some kind of joke........... isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    This is some kind of joke........... isn't it
    I've seen stolen gas meters and water meters, presumably used to hook up a disconnected service. This looks like the electrical is being stolen from the pictured meter. The house next door might have been going down the foreclosure tube and they needed a little more time with electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    His location says he's in the South. I think Rick has it pegged! Sombody getten some free electricity .
    You guys may be on to something.

I don't see where there is any riser going to that meter for its real service lateral, which leads me to suspect that it was connected "temporarily" at the time of construction to power up the house while waiting for the power company to come out and run the service lateral ... which never happened, leaving it that way since it was built ... and quite likely being run *from* (rather than run *to*) the house on the right.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I don't see where there is any riser going to that meter for its real service lateral, which leads me to suspect that it was connected "temporarily" at the time of construction to power up the house while waiting for the power company to come out and run the service lateral ... which never happened, leaving it that way since it was built ... and quite likely being run *from* (rather than run *to*) the house on the right.
    I know its not in a conduit, but what is the cable coming up the wall into the meter?

I don't know about other areas but the power company will only run temp power to a temp service pole here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    I know its not in a conduit, but what is the cable coming up the wall into the meter?
    I'm thinking that is the grounding electrode conductor protected in PVC.

I don't know about other areas but the power company will only run temp power to a temp service pole here.
    Every where I've been is that same way, but who knows 'in the "South" wherever that may be'.

Saying one is in the "South" is about like saying one is in the "US", that covers a LOT of area.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Saying one is in the "South" is about like saying one is in the "US", that covers a LOT of area.
    His signature line includes a Texas License number and a web-site link.

I think its safe to presume he and the subject property are represented to be in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    His signature line includes a Texas License number and a web-site link.

I think its safe to presume he and the subject property are represented to be in Texas.
    While that is true on that presumption, I only looked at his location at 'Location', not down in his signature.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

McAllen, Texas 78503

I am in the southern most part of the State. A few minutes from Mexico.. AEP (energy provider) requires us to dig a trench no less than 40" from transformer to edge of home where Meter is to be located. So the PVC pipe that you see is the one that is suppose to be buried underground. It goes all along the properly buried no more than 2" at its deepest and does terminate at the appropriate transformer. What gets me is how the previous owner never complained about this. The house is a foreclosure but it does show signs of children living in it. Meaning that either the homeowner worked for the service provider or a friend of his worked for one. I called AEP and had them go take a look.. BTW you can rest assure that the buyer walked away from this one.

Richard Flores
    Professional Inspector TREC # 8139
    www.premier-rgv.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

RF:

Thanks for the update.